Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old January 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Project Pokemon Trainer Cards: Ash

Welcome to the Project Pokemon
Trainer Cards Thread

Trainers that have finished designs (waiting on playtesting):

Channeler

Youngster

Engineer

Juggler

Super Nerd

Jr Trainer

Cooltrainer ♀

GARY

(General discussion about Project Pokémon occurs here.)
(Visit the Playtesting Thread here.)
(Participate in the Design Thread here.)

Trainer Cards Team
Team Lead: minimoose38
Assistant Lead: White Knight
NightSwipe
fiddlerjones
Warlord Alpha

Consultant: wulfhunter667

Purpose of the Trainer Cards Thread
The purpose of the Trainer Cards Thread is to design the Trainer Cards for the Project Pokemon Master Set.

Master Set Trainer Card List
Ash
Gary
Youngster
Jr. Trainer♂
Cool Trainer♀
Super Nerd
Juggler
Channeler
Engineer

Last edited by White Knight; June 8th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Project Pokemon: Trainer Cards Thread

The Project Pokemon Trainer Card Team is up and running. I've gone through and collected some of the most important notes from the old discussions and posted them below.

minimoose38 will be the Lead for the Trainer Cards, and I'm going to let him set forth how the cards will be designed and in what order. I waited a week for people to reply about joining the team, but only the team members listed in the first post were interested. If others decide later that they want to help design the cards it will be up to minimoose as to whether they are allowed to join.

First, some ideas for the cards themselves:

More Ideas (from the initial thread, page 131, post #1568 )
Here are suggestions from minimoose about what the Trainer Card could consist of.

One of the following three:

Type Preference: Type 1, Type 2, Type 3
Would be for the trainers who don't have any extremely strong type themes among them. Would provide a minor boost if any at all.
Example: Camper
Type Preference: Ground, Poison, Grass
Choose one pokemon of this trainer's preffered type. That Pokemon may move one additional space on its turn. (This would give the move bonus to one named pokemon, say Sandshrew, but all Sandshrews in your army would get the move bonus.)

-----
Type Specialty: Type 1, Type 2
For trainers that have definate themes to the types of pokemon they use. Such as Sailor's Swimmers, Birdkeepers and Bugcatchers. Would provide a minor to moderate boost.
Example: Sailor
Type Specialty: Water, Fighting
Water types and Fighting types roll one additional attack die. ( Yo represent the brawly nature of Sailors)

------
Type Mastery: Type 1
Reserved for gym leaders and elite four members. Would give a major boost to the mastered type, perhaps only if your entire army consists of pokemon of that type.
Example: Brock
Type Mastery: Rock
All Rock type pokemon gain Tough 1.

-----
Then Gym leaders could grant pokemon of their favored type their TM as a Special Attack.
Example: Misty
All Water Types you control gain Water Pulse Special Attack ( or Bubblebeam Special Attack if we are strictly sticking to first genereation) Then the special attack would be explained on the trainer's card.

------
Additional Powers
One additional power, for gym leaders this would correspond with their badge's power. For other trainers it could be something more flavorful.
Example: Lt Surge
Thunderbadge: All pokemon you control add 1 to their move.

-----
The trainers who have absolutely no type affiliations we would have to get more creative. Such as giving Youngsters a bonus to unevolved basic pokemon. Or giving trainers bonuses to specific pokemon, like Lasses favoring Jigglypuffs and Clefairys.
Example: Youngster
Youthful Vitality: All basic pokemon you control add 1 to their move and defense.

Last edited by White Knight; January 9th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart

I like the look of trainers so far, but I feel like they're slightly overcomplicated. These guys need to be worth their points, of course, but I would say most should have one blanket ability, like the Camper example above. Gym leaders could have the blanket ability too, and I really like giving their pokemon a special corresponding to their TMs. That's only two abilities, keeping it simple. Maybe Elite Four members could have three, but I'd say reserve the third ability strictly for them.

I like doing things with a trainer's associated type. We could probably keyword that to save space.

Example:
Camper:
Associated Types: Grass, Ground, Poison
Ability: Enhanced Grass Movement: Associated pokemon you control add 1 to their movement if they begin their movement on a grass space.

Other thoughts:

-We need to keep in mind the power level of trainers' abilities. They're much stronger than an aura with the same effect on a figure because currently there is no way to remove trainers from play. I'd like to see their abilities be significant, but I don't want to see games decided by a player's choice of trainer.

-Can players only have one trainer per game? I'm thinking yes, as the trainer kind of represents you, your training style. (Also, I have a fun idea for Youngster if we have a one-trainer-per-player limit).

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

I agree with fiddler on many points. The Trainers look good so far, just a few power/wording tweaking to make them accurate to a cheaper point cost.

I like the ideas of the "Type Preference/Type Specialty/Type Mastery" presented earlier.

I think, if we make the Trainers in-game characters with bases that you move around and all, we should give them limits on sight and such to ensure the Pokemon must be within a certain Line of Sight for their powers to take effect.

If they aren't playable characters, maybe only a certain range of spaces from the starting zone?

We'll figure it out.

Congrats on becoming Thread Leader, minimoose!

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM

I'm not in favor of making trainers in-game figures. They either need to represent your training style or possibly other trainers you've recruited to help you command. They wouldn't have meaningful attacks, and if we did make them figures, would they be able to be attacked and destroyed?

To me the Trainer Card is something strongly distinct from an Army Card. I doubt we need distance-from-starting-area restrictions or anything like that; if we set our minds to it we can find a good way to implement these abilities without making them too strong.

As far as the type preference/specialty/mastery idea goes, I like using it as a template for how we create cards, but we don't actually need to use those terms on the cards. A general rule of thumb is that number of types associated with a trainer is inversely proportional to the strength of the boost that trainer gives. It's a sliding scale between versatility and power.

FiddlerJones Customs
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

That's why I said "if we make them playable figures".

I'm fine either way, in-game or not.

I know the deal with the Preference/Speciality/etc.

I look forward to a prosperous time working with everyone.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:18 PM

Just a note:

For "Catch that Pokemon" and campaign style scenarios I'll be using Trainer figures to move around the battlefield, but they won't be able to battle. They'll be terrain obstacles.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

minimoose38 is surprisingly tart

Okay guys, it looks like we have a good start. I guess what we need to decide on is what we actually want a trainer to be in the most basic mode of army vs army battling. Lets hear from everyone which of these comparisons you would make for how you feel Trainers should be.

Glyph card-like: This would be similar to a glyph card or rules card that you would have in your army that would bestow powers to all or some units in your army as if one of your figures was standing on a glyph. This would have a cost and would probably be limited to 1 per army because it represents you the Trainer.

Fortress Door-like; This would be similar to White Knights use in his campaign, in that Trainers would be immovable obstacles that would then have a matching card would powers that would affect their pokemon. these would have a physical representation on the map that may or may not be able to be attacked. May have a defense and life stat similar to Fortress Door. Destructible object? Maybe.

Kelda-like: This would mean that Trainers would have stats just like any support figure. Powers would be similar to Marcus Gallus's powers or any bonding units. They would have fairly low stats and would may or may not be able to be attacked by pokemon.

I think a combination of these three ideas would be very tricky to obtain so let me know what you think about these three possible routes and see if we can find a point of convergence.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM

Definitely Glyph-Like. I don't think these Trainers need to be on the battlefield.

FiddlerJones Customs
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:51 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

It all depends on if you want Team Rocket style encounters. Of course when a trainer's pokemon are beaten then so is the trainer. (for the most part. Ash doesn't count)

I like the blanket ability for the trainers and the abilities reflecting their personalities and training style. A trainer like Ash I could see with the Pokeball 12 ability because he has shown the sense to withdraw his pokemon on occasion. Other trainers push their pokemon to the limits and so shouldn't have the ability whereas other trainers know better than Ash when to withdraw a pokemon. This could be reflected by a lower number on the power.

Trainers should have at least

One blanket power that applies to their preferred types.

One power that defines personality (especially trainers that have names ex. Brock, Misty, etc.)

and perhaps

One extra power to round off the trainer. This could be the Pokeball power. Gym leaders I think should have the TM option as well.

Bug Catcher analysis
Preferred types: Bugs...not much else. You could put poison in here but really, it's only a secondary type.

Blanket power: Harden: All bug pokemon you control may roll one extra defense die if they did not attack this turn. (This reflects my early frustration in the game as it took years to beat one freaking metapod because that's the only move they knew.) Not saying that this needs to be the power to be used just a way we may flesh out trainers.

Thematic power: Bug Enthusiast: If you take a turn with a bug pokemon, you may immediately take another turn with that figure.

Last Power: (personally I don't think this trainer would need one and this is just an option in case someone wants to)

Is the trainer a gym leader? No (You may skip the TM stage)

Now just assign points.

Now back to the debate about whether to make trainers figures or not. Making them figures will decidedly change the style of play. Perhaps we can make them figures and make it so that trainers may only be attacked by pokemon controlled by team rocket and team rocket trainers may be attacked by any pokemon. I think this would be the best option. This allows them to be basically safe in a normal trainer/gym battle but in a battle against Team Rocket it brings in a new dynamic of play.

Creator of Nowdays.
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroz View Post
Perhaps we can make them figures and make it so that trainers may only be attacked by pokemon controlled by team rocket and team rocket trainers may be attacked by any pokemon. I think this would be the best option. This allows them to be basically safe in a normal trainer/gym battle but in a battle against Team Rocket it brings in a new dynamic of play.
That's a good idea, but it fits squarely in the scenario area. I don't think trainers as figures should be in standard Pokescape, but nothing says you can't have a scenario where your trainer is a figure like you described above.

Also, three abilities is way too much for unnamed trainers (Bug Catcher, Youngster, etc.) I see those having one, maybe two abilities. Gym Leaders and characters like Ash and Gary could maybe have three.

Ash having Pokeball 12 or something could work, but it seems like it should be unique to him. (Maybe Gary could have "Push it to the Limit" or something - the foil to Ash's power).

FiddlerJones Customs
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM

I prefer the glyph-like card (Trainers can't be attacked), and I prefer that we limit players to 1 Trainer Card in their army.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum