Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!
Using all the sculpts of a squad

I searched and didn't find a thread asking this, but I may have missed it. If I did, please move this one.

I have repainted two KoWs to give my son and I each a Sir Hawthorn. That leaves me with two incomplete KoW squads. Is it possible to take four figs of those six and field them as a whole squad? In my opinion in a friendly game, it would not matter, but in a tourney situation it may.

Is there an official ruling on this? Does it matter if the squad is common or unique?

The Knights are all basically in the same pose; they are all standing up, not squatting or kneeling. The AE on the other hand have have very different poses. The AE who is crouching is much easier to hide behind a short height elevation (why does the brain forget words?). It seems unfair to use four of the crouching AE when playing a game as those crouchers (not to be confused with Krauts, sour or otherwise) as their lower height would be advantageous.

Anyway, that is my question. If I'm playing, so I need each member of the squad as shown on the card, or is it alright to pick and choose? THanks in advance for clarification on this.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Using all the sculpts of a squad

As far as the rules go Id say you have to have the exact sculpts shown on the card. I honestly wouldn't care if I was playing you. Especially since as you said the sculpts are very close in pose. However, if you make the exception for the Knights youll need to do that for all squads. This could cause major headaches on certain maps. Do you want to face 15 stingers trying Stinger Denial? Not like anyone would try that.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:55 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Officially (for tourneys) you have to use the correct sculpts. Some sculpts may be similar, but they are not exactly the same, so for LOS purposes they need to be all present. Unofficially (for friendly games) it's up to you.

-insert signature here-
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Friendly games, I see no problem. Tournaments, yes, you would need 1 of each scuplt per squad.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I really, really doubt anyone would give you a hard time about using one extra "look left" KoW, as oppose to the Hawthorne sculpt. Truth be told, I really doubt anyone would notice, unless you were only using one squad of knights, such that a double would stand out.

The only one of the four sculpts I can reasonably imagine having a different effect would be the raised sword sculpt, which might have trouble with a low overhang. The other three, from a gameplay perspective, are effectively indistinguishable.

I agree that Cavalier, nyys, et al, are entirely right that you are technically required to use all the sculpts. But in this case I really can't conceive of anyone being enough of a rules lawyer to actually call you out out on it. There's just not enough of a difference to matter.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I really, really doubt anyone would give you a hard time about using one extra "look left" KoW, as oppose to the Hawthorne sculpt. Truth be told, I really doubt anyone would notice, unless you were only using one squad of knights, such that a double would stand out.
That's a good point, I know I wouldn't. I probably wouldn't care either if I did, though I probably would point it out so to warn that anyone being super nit picky would have an argument. That said, the KoW may be an exception since the sculpts are similar, but there are units where one figure may be kneeling down, and that would make a significant difference IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

The image of a person, at the beginning of a tournament game, spending time and mental energy cataloging the other player's sculpts is hilarious. I'm usually busy, at that point, just trying to make sure I've got all my own figures on the map and where I want them.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
The image of a person, at the beginning of a tournament game, spending time and mental energy cataloging the other player's sculpts is hilarious. I'm usually busy, at that point, just trying to make sure I've got all my own figures on the map and where I want them.
Don't laugh, but I probably would notice. Not that I'd examine the opponent's sculpts beforehand, but I know all the figs well enough that sometime during the game I'd definitely notice if I were facing, say, an extra Knight holding a warhammer (my personal favorite of the squad). In a friendly game I wouldn't bring it up, but in a tournament I might if it were a squad with varying sculpts. For the Knights, I might just bite my tongue, even in a tourney.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Should be the correct sculpts, but I agree that the number of people who would care is going to be small. If they do though, you'd have to be accomodating.

I suppose you could offer to let your opponent switch any of the repeat sculpts for the 'hawthorne' sculpt at any point in the game if it bothers them. Or if a sighting issue comes up, always give the opponent the benefit of the doubt.

Or you could just play a knight short for those two squads. (A disadvantage for you, but it's certainly legal.)

--

As soon as I can find the decal materials, I plan on turning a whole squad of knights into Hawthornes. Three will be the wrong sculpt, of course, but I figure it will be fun to have a 'Hawthorne', whatever his pose. And I just can't stand having 3/4ths of a squad of knights for some reason. (OCD...)
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I would say venture to guess that unless you were facing Sherman Davies nobody would notice. I would also venture to guess that if you did bring it up, you would be likely to find someone who would be willing let you borrow one they aren't using for the odd game you face someone who will be concerned.

Personally I wouldn't care. The only time I might care is if there is a sculpt within the squad that could conceivably have an advantage hiding behind terrain features.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'd be completely fine with it. Well, if you're about to roll some attack dice that could win the game for you, then I'd suddenly notice and throw a hissy fit. But as long as I'm winning, I'd be completely fine.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

So, aside from the game-lawyers and the hissy-fitters, we're all agreed. <laughing and laughing>

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's