Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old December 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 12/23/10

He uses all the road tiles but can you make Jack of Spades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
He uses all the road tiles but can you make Jack of Spades?
I can - I realized it after. I was trying to get some use out of my two FotA sets, though I think I can just build Jack of Spades, and then Spineback Ridge and Embattled Fen. I think that leaves me with an SotM and some jungle, which I can use to build Ticalla Sunrise.

I love this map thread so much. GameBear is awesome.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Spineback Ridge is a blast to play on. Good choice. Although there isn't really a bad choice here.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
New map: Coastal Cavern. 1 DD + 1 FA
Glyphs: 3 random treasures (symbol side up)

Scenario: Den of Thieves
Glyphs: 3 Brandar's Chests (power side up), 2 random treasures (power side up)

After the excesses of my last map, I wanted to see what I could create using fewer expansions. Even with this pretty flat layout, I still ended up compromising stability and starting zone separation a little, but at least the terrain requirements should not be an obstacle for anyone.

The design is meant to represent the fortified entrance to a large cavern system. Once I finalized the tournament setup, I decided to add a scenario to fit the scene. Rules below.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by GameBear; January 12th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Except when I need the move boost

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 01/10/11

Coastal Cavern's nice. +rep.

I Hate Atlaga is the Roman Legionnaire...
in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Costal Cave scenario looks pretty good, GameBear. However, it seems like Player 2 has a lot of advantage with the instant reinforcements. I know that in the past when I've done scenarios with regenerating figures (most notably the zombies in my Esenwein Castle Battlefield) they have a tendency to lock up the map and make movement neigh impossible. You've got several tight bottle-necks on the map. Just remember disengagements can be very costly and you can't move through figures that are engaged.

Have you had a couple of games on this map yet, to see how its working?

Also, you've gotta have a story (it doesn't have to be much of one); otherwise you're just shuffling glyphs around:
During the construction of Einar's Golden Palace, a trade ship on its way from Kinsland and carrying the precious metal was lost somewhere along the rocky cliffs of the Crumland peninsula. Wreckage from this long lost vessel was recently discovered near the mouth of a tidal sea cave in the region. Is it possible that not all the treasure was lost to the waves? Could some have been washed deep within this coastal cave?
See how easy that was? Now the Brandar's Chests contain precious booty, the castle battlements could be wreckage from the ship, and the drow and goblins are native cave dwellers simply protecting their "rightful" inheritance.
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:52 AM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thank you for the input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasQTip View Post
...you've gotta have a story (it doesn't have to be much of one); otherwise you're just shuffling glyphs around...
Very true. I had the outline of a story in mind, and should have taken the time to post it.

The cavern system is inhabited by a sizable community of shady characters (scenario title); its numerous tunnels allow the occupants to travel about freely, and its quick access to the sea is ideal for smuggling ventures, escapes, etc. Members of this group stole the three Chests; a select team (Player 1) has been assembled to discretely recover the stolen property - a larger force would draw too much attention. The recovery team must deal with a small band of denizens gathered nearby (Player 2), and the assignment is time-sensitive (round limit). Further complicating the assignment, inhabitants moving through the tunnels wander into the main antechamber intermittently (rule #2), and alarms are set to trigger when the Chests are moved (rule #3). Fortunately, the thieves are loathe to wander out onto open ground (rule #1), where they would surrender the inherent advantages of fighting within the cavern's confines.

Quote:
See how easy that was?
For you maybe; even writing this rough outline was a challenge for me. I cringe at the thought of trying to refine it into something like your example (i.e. a colorful story instead of a strictly functional overview).

Discussion of gameplay to follow...

Last edited by GameBear; January 13th, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM
The Silent Cartographer

Quote:
...it seems like Player 2 has a lot of advantage with the instant reinforcements. I know that in the past when I've done scenarios with regenerating figures (most notably the zombies in my Esenwein Castle Battlefield) they have a tendency to lock up the map and make movement neigh impossible. You've got several tight bottle-necks on the map. Just remember disengagements can be very costly and you can't move through figures that are engaged.
The reinforcements do shift the odds in Player 2's favor over time; this factor is meant to create a sense of urgency for Player 1. The reinforcements also serve another purpose. Destruction of the opponent is the victory condition in many scenarios; in scenarios with other objectives, destruction of the opponent is still often the most efficient means to those ends. The reinforcements encourage Player 1 to consider alternate approaches.

I am hopeful that map congestion will not be too big of an issue. The starting armies are smaller, and the reinforcements trickle into the game. Player 1 even has some control over when and where the reinforcements appear. A significant factor in determining the amount of map congestion, though, is army selection.

Disengage is very valuable in this scenario. Cyprien is probably the figure capable of completing this scenario most efficiently, but several of the less popular figures also have the ability to shine. Agent Carr, the ninjas, Saylind, and Kelda are all potential contributors for Player 1. On the other side, Major X17, Dund, and Pelloth have increased value for Player 2.

Finally, the treasure glyph pool impacts both the balance of the scenario and the potential for map congestion. All of the specified glyphs favor Player 1, and two of the six treasures allow the carrier to disengage freely. Player 1 should not feel forced to utilize any particular unit or strategy; the initial 100 point advantage even allows Player 1 to pursue a destruction strategy if desired.

How well these ideas play out remains to be seen; I am very interested in reports from any users that have a chance to try this setup. Of course, I am quite happy to continue discussing the theoretical side, too. Critiques welcome, as always.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I recommended Cloak and Dagger for our upcoming NorCal tourney, and it's made the slate.

I suggested it because it's interesting start zones should prove to be very interesting for our format-each army has one hero chosen as its Immortal, and once one Immortal dies, the match is over. I'm curious to see how the Proftka start spaces are utilized this Saturday.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
The Silent Cartographer

New map: Bad Moon Rising. 2 DD + 1 FA
Glyphs: 2 random

This terrain combination (2 DD + 1 FA) has a lot of potential. Two dungeon sets provide a sufficient number of LOS-blockers, especially when supplemented by battlements; the castle set contributes some much-needed versatility.

EDIT 03-11-11: The PDF file has been updated - one battlement has been moved to improve access to the right side of the map.

EDIT 04-15-11: The PDF file has been updated - the road perch has been flattened, two battlements have been added to that road tile, and a few support tiles have been rearranged.

Last edited by GameBear; April 15th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 02/02/11

Bad Moon Rising looks fantastic!

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 02/02/11

I agree with Dignan.

~Rednax

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios