Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 7th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Blurring the Gap Between Range and Melee

Probably because it is used much more as the adjective with "unit", than the common noun. As a proper noun it tends to be its own plural.

cavalry Unit/Units is the more common than Cavalry/Cavalries.

Additionally Cavalry obviously can be used as encompassing the whole mounted force, irregardless of one or more subunits, e.g. "Send in the Cavalry."

How about Dragoons as 2 range melee, using musketoons?
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I'm good as long as you don't say "canons" (which many younger writers do and it appears to have become acceptable). In my old-fashioned way, the plural of "canon" is "canon" (like "sheep" or "fish").
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Anything with a mace would be fairly well-suited to a 2-Range. I could go for an Utgar hero with a sort of "Witch King of Angmar" vibe. I wouldn't mind if the attack were a Special one, either, because then he'd be a counter-draft to Drake.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Anything with a mace would be fairly well-suited to a 2-Range. I could go for an Utgar hero with a sort of "Witch King of Angmar" vibe. I wouldn't mind if the attack were a Special one, either, because then he'd be a counter-draft to Drake.
I like this. A giant flail weapon. But I have to admit that I want to actually see a range "2" printed on a card, but you are right that a Special would make more sense and avoid any confusion.

(And your comment above about Jotun is absolutely true. With that giant cleaver-thing, he should only be allowed to use his special, Wild Swing. He must be one dextrous warrior to hit a single target with--and with an 8 attack!)
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Shiori is also a melee/range type figure. Her regular range is one, but her Shuriken attack is five.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
I'm good as long as you don't say "canons" (which many younger writers do and it appears to have become acceptable). In my old-fashioned way, the plural of "canon" is "canon" (like "sheep" or "fish").
What about the fax machine?
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandarforever View Post
Shiori is also a melee/range type figure. Her regular range is one, but her Shuriken attack is five.
Shiori is like SoTM Drake to me. they both have a ranged special attack, but it's just a nice bonus, they're both primarily melee units.

And thank you everyone for all of the excellant input. I've gone back and updated the main post with the units that you all have pointed out.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
I like this. A giant flail weapon. But I have to admit that I want to actually see a range "2" printed on a card, but you are right that a Special would make more sense and avoid any confusion.
Yeah, I thought about it afterward and realized that at a mere 2 range, you might as well just be engaged with Drake, since he'd be on you next turn anyway. So no need for the Special Attack. I agree- a figure with a designated Range "2" would add an interesting new dynamic to the fray.

Actually, a squad with a Range of 2 could be fun. Maybe that Common Ninja squad for which so many are waiting:

Ninjas of the Waning Moon - 3 Figures
L1
M6
R2
A2
D3

Phantom Walk

Stealth Ambush - The Ninjas of the Waning Moon may add 1 to their Attack dice for each additional attack on the same target in a single turn.
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Nice. I'd like to see some gladiators with chains, flails, and/or whips--that is a common squad I am dying to see come out...
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

What about:

Scotts Pike Militia

Attack 3
Defense 2
Range 2
Move 5

Thrust Special Attack
Attack 4
Range 3
This unit may not move on the turn it thrusts.

Armor Piercer

When attacking figures with 4 defense or more, subtract 2 defese die after rolling for defense

Human Champion Bonding

Highland Fury

90 points
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scotts Armored Pikmen
Attack 3
Defense 4
Range 2
Move 4

Thrust Special Attack
Attack 5
Range 3
This unit may not move on the turn it thrusts.

Spear Wall
Enemy figures must roll 1 attack die when entering engagement with 1 Scotts Armored Pike Men. If it is a skull, add 1 wound marker to the now engaged figure. The Scotts Armored Pike Men that is becoming engaged must be adjacent to at least 1 other Scotts Armored Pike Men. Wounds are inflicted for every engaged Armored Pike Men. For all effects of spear wall to take place, the 2 Scotts Pike Militia must of not have moved in the last turn in which the player activated an order marker.

Armor Piercer

When attacking figures with 4 defense or more, subtract 2 defese die after rolling for defense

Human Champion Bonding

110 points
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This would represent the pikes fierceness as anti armor. It would also allow the use of militia for attack, armored pikes for defense, and the highlanders for fast attack roles.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...

Last edited by Elf_Archer; August 7th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
What about the fax machine?
The plural of "fax machine" is "fax machines," although a few purists would still insist upon "faxes machine." <grin>
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Adrian Monk

Not sure you need the Thrust Special, but yeah that is the idea. Nice.

(Oh, and I prefer "machine for electronic facsimiles" personally, Rev. )

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion