Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old November 27th, 2020, 08:01 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Pandemic Tales

The First Pandemic Thanksgiving In 2020

I reconnected with my sister by watching the TV Only Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which was nicely managed and a bit more subdued. We saw it on NBC. It was fun having a co-commentator, and we ended up watching all three hours!

Black Friday Today I'm solitairing a game Taeblewalker gave me: [B] Homeland The Game.[/B] I prepped it and did research on BGG, and now I'm ready to go!

There are also all kinds of Black Friday sales going on, including board games. Emails are coming in from all over about them.

I hope you are all finding your own paths to deal with the Coronavirus in positive ways! Let's heal together.

Feel free to tell such stories below.

(And let's keep politics out of it. When I find myself getting angry, I realize that I need to check myself out before I criticize others).

Last edited by chas; November 27th, 2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old November 27th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Pandemic Tales

I'll bite.

While I did Thanksgiving a month ago since we Canadians celebrate in October, I did go downtown Toronto a few days before they hit lockdown for a second time.

My kid loves trains so we took the commuter train in which was erielly empty. The busiest station in canada was empty. We got to lots of engines close up and he had one of the best days since this began.

I feel bad for everything that he is missing as a normal 5 year old, but spirit s are up and Santa already got his vaccine so Christmas is a go.

Stay safe everyone.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old November 27th, 2020, 11:17 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Hangin in there

We're keeping it small here, just those in the household. My mother ended up working all day yesterday so we're celebrating today, she's a hospice nurse so she's been especially busy during covid times.

I feel like everyone in my town knows someone who has covid, it's getting pretty scary here. It's definitely taken a toll on me mentally, not being able to perform music as much as usual, taking a break from school, unable to find steady work. A bunch of new normals that are still sinking in during my early 20s.
Old November 28th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Hangin in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
We're keeping it small here, just those in the household. My mother ended up working all day yesterday so we're celebrating today, she's a hospice nurse so she's been especially busy during covid times.

I feel like everyone in my town knows someone who has covid, it's getting pretty scary here. It's definitely taken a toll on me mentally, not being able to perform music as much as usual, taking a break from school, unable to find steady work. A bunch of new normals that are still sinking in during my early 20s.
A musician!

I'm a big fan of some indie musicians that are sort of middle-of-the-road famous. Jason Isbell; Phoebe Bridgers; the Old 97s. I don't doubt that they are enduring the pandemic well enough. I hope. I encourage you to look them up if you want, but they are not the ones I worry about. The musicians on my mind are the regional bands that (I've always suspected) depended on shows and merch sales and so on to support themselves.

Bands like the Rustic Overtones, from Maine:

And Mikaela Davis and Southern Star, from Rochester, New York:

Both amazing regional live acts. I've been lucky enough to see them. But what are they doing now? I imagine the members of both bands are fully committed, financially, to being musicians. What are they doing now? I hope they're well. I hope the world will be ready to embrace them, when the time comes, and they're ready to hit the road again.

Anyway. NS, what do you play? I'm a beginner ukulele player. And a beginner banjo player, and a beginner guitar player.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 28th, 2020, 03:56 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Re: Hangin in there

Oh wow, I love Rustic Overtones! Yeah it's incredibly tough for venues and small local bands especially. A few of my favorite spots to play have shut their doors for good, it's very sad. However a part of me thinks there'll be a flourish of art/musical involvement once this all gets better, and I'm looking forward to that. A lot of my close music buddies have been keeping busy writing which is all you can really do right now.

As for what I play, I've been drumming for about 13 years . My favorite groups right now have to be Hippo Campus, Sunset Rollercoaster, and Peach Pit (tho the list goes on).
This is one of my favorite live videos right now.

My band has been together for the past 2ish years and we have an EP and a couple singles out on Spotify/most other platforms. It's definitely been a great experience and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon

Keep up the practice! I could never get the hang of string instruments but I love the sounds you can make with em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post

A musician!

I'm a big fan of some indie musicians that are sort of middle-of-the-road famous. Jason Isbell; Phoebe Bridgers; the Old 97s. I don't doubt that they are enduring the pandemic well enough. I hope. I encourage you to look them up if you want, but they are not the ones I worry about. The musicians on my mind are the regional bands that (I've always suspected) depended on shows and merch sales and so on to support themselves.

Bands like the Rustic Overtones, from Maine:

Spoiler Alert!

And Mikaela Davis and Southern Star, from Rochester, New York:

Spoiler Alert!

Both amazing regional live acts. I've been lucky enough to see them. But what are they doing now? I imagine the members of both bands are fully committed, financially, to being musicians. What are they doing now? I hope they're well. I hope the world will be ready to embrace them, when the time comes, and they're ready to hit the road again.

Anyway. NS, what do you play? I'm a beginner ukulele player. And a beginner banjo player, and a beginner guitar player.
Old November 28th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

You know Rustic Overtones???!!! My sister-in-law's brother was Dave Noyes, the trombone player (in the hat, in the Gas on Skin video). He died pretty suddenly a couple of years ago from natural causes. It was awful and tragic and he left behind a young family. You can see his portrait on the new album, and it's also inspired by the direction he wanted the band to go in. They even sampled him playing the piano on the first track.

Thanks for the link, I wasn't familiar with Hippo Campus. I wanted to shout at them to get off my lawn, at first, but then it turned out that I really enjoyed the song.

[Opens rolodex full of jokes about drummers.]

= =
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:03 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
[Opens rolodex full of jokes about drummers.]
Don’t hold back.
Old December 1st, 2020, 06:08 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Why would I pick on Ninja Status, though, when *you're* here?

= =
Old December 9th, 2020, 05:32 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

This is out of line with the original spirit of the thread, but I have to tell somebody.

The school I teach at is planning to return to fully in-person classrooms for 3 of my 4 sections next quarter (the other section will be converted to fully online). This means, on average, 24 kids/room. Social distancing of any kind will not be possible.

Right now, half the kids in one of my sections are out with either confirmed COVID, out to quarantine pending testing, or out because the kids themselves are scared to come to school. I spent an hour teaching in that room on Monday, Tuesday, and today. I have not been instructed to get a test, to work from home, or to otherwise quarantine. I still have to tell kids to leave their masks on every single day.

If my school is unique in this, I will be shocked.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:22 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Don't see any reason not to discuss anything Pandemic related, and your situation certainly is! Dealing with stress is a big part of our current experience.
Old December 10th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For me, it has been a LOT of Ring Fit Adventure. Logged about 150 hours of exercise time over the past year, (300 real-time hours). Gotten quite a bit buffer from it. Body by Nintendo!
Really ready for all this to be done.
Also, typing this on an iBook G4 because idk what else to do. Thankfully, Heroscapers runs on vBulletin, which an 16-year-old computer can still handle! Basic html really is the best thing for websites.
Also, that embedded video plays at about 2 seconds per frame at 240p, but the audio comes through okay.
I don't understand Youtube. Back in 2008, this machine could stream 480p videos no problem. All these newfangled codices are incredibly resource-hungry by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old December 14th, 2020, 07:40 PM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Right now, half the kids in one of my sections are out with either confirmed COVID, out to quarantine pending testing, or out because the kids themselves are scared to come to school. I spent an hour teaching in that room on Monday, Tuesday, and today. I have not been instructed to get a test, to work from home, or to otherwise quarantine. I still have to tell kids to leave their masks on every single day.
If my school is unique in this, I will be shocked.

Wow! I teach school also but we seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. We have had a handful of cases, but on a uptick since Nov. We will probably be going full remote after Christmas break. Everyone wears masks K-12 and nurses do in depth contact tracing on all cases. Hang in there hope everything works out. The state plan is for teachers to get the vaccine sometime between end of Feb and April if all goes according to plan.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General