Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old November 10th, 2018, 01:40 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
SuperHeroScape™: SHIELD and Skrulls 10/8

The latest (both Squads of 3):

===============

Yes, I already have a superhero customs thread. If you want to see what my designs looked like 9-10 years ago, go there. If you want to see more thoroughly designed, updated, and tested superheroes since then, read on!

===============

THE BASICS
Where to begin... this all started many, many years ago. Somewhere between the Marvel license getting (brief) life in official Heroscape and before the creation of the C3G, I began designing SuperHeroScape™ customs. I was by no means the first (nor the best), and in fact that's a disclaimer I need to make clear right away: most of what you'll see is heavily influenced by or based on the talented work of other Heroscapers. While I love superheroes as much as the next person, I do not read comic books. So all of my designs had to be informed by those more knowledgeable, though I did use what I do know about superheroes (from various media, recently the excellent MCU) to adapt and customize. If you see an awesome power design, chances are someone else deserves more credit than I, though I may have put my own twist on it. I apologize to all other superhero custom creators, because I do not record anywhere what sparked my inspiration. (Feel free to chime in when you see something you created!)

While this project may have started many years ago, it has continued ever since and is in fact ongoing. I'm only now beginning to share as after many (countless) iterations, I feel I have finally arrived at "finalized" versions of these heroes. I'll begin with a re-imagining of the Marvel Master Set; followed by the Wave 1 characters (that we were shown, but were never released ); a Wave 2 that rounds out some of the heroes, villains, and teams; and Waves 3 and 4 to arrive at a 50-hero canon.

Note that this project is self-contained. Since there were only 10 official figures, they don't exist anymore. These heroes are also not intended to mix with any other creations, including C3G, though they may play just fine. They should mix OK with classic 'scape (arguments about Thanos + Deathreavers aside): every design is compared to at least one classic 'scape design, and the formula I use to calculate points is the same for classic as for superheroes. No, I will not be sharing that formula. No one has "the" formula, so I encourage everyone to come up with their own that will get point costs into the ballpark, as mine does, with a lot more math and plenty of tweaking after the fact.

===============

CHANGES
As noted, the official Marvel figures don't exist as part of this project. Beyond that, you'll notice several departures from official cards. Most notably wording. Most official wording is OK, there's just too much of it. As such, my main focus on every card, in every power is to reduce word count. Superheroes tend to have more and wordier powers, so every little bit helps. Even when official wording wasn't bad (Kozuke Samurai's Charging Assault), it often wasn't consistent. No more are some enemy figures "enemy figures" while others are "opponent's figures". I even massively streamlined Flying's wording, though in the end I put a Flying symbol on the cards, like Super Strength: it's just that common. I'll share it later for reference, but it functions the same.
Spoiler Alert!

Here are some other changes, some of which I expect some people won't like. But this is my project, not yours, so deal with it. I've also probably missed a few.

Leaving engagement attacks are now passing swipes. Primarily, this was to avoid confusion with what is and isn't an "attack" (as such, "attacks of opportunity" wouldn't work). It also saves space.

The 20-sided die is now the d20. I never understood the pushback on this, and always imagined D&D players dying a little on the inside every time they read "20-sided die" on a Heroscape card from the D&D era. Everyone should know what a d20 is, and a simple line in the rules defines it for those who don't ("dX" = "die with X sides"; see, that wasn't hard).

A normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure is now an adjacent normal attack. Come on, that was just way too many words before. Likewise with similar powers for non-adjacency, special attacks, etc.

Special Attacks are named such, then not mentioned again. For example "Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by Wild Swing special attack." Saves space, and really shouldn't be confusing.

Likewise, powers aren't called out as "special powers". If a power gets called out, it's by name only "blah blah blah affects all figures with the Flying special power within X clear sight spaces." Rarely, it will get mentioned, but unless it'll obviously be a source of confusion I erred on the side of fewer words.

Or higher has been replaced with +. Big space saver.

Instead of figures being "within X clear sight spaces of this figure" they're now just "within X clear sight spaces." The intuitive thing to measure from is of course the thing with that power, o now it only needs to be spelled out if counting from some other thing (or it would otherwise be too confusing).

Defending: a much shorter way to say "when rolling defense dice".

Things like "automatic", "immediately", and "unblockable" are simply gone, since if you just do what the card says those words don't actually change anything. Bye!

And there are probably still more relatively common changes.

===============

NEW RULES
Flying as a symbol could probably fall in this category, but really there are only a few. Even then they're just minor fun and balance tweaks, not a major change to Heroscape as we know it in any way.

Knockback
When a figure with Super Strength attacks with an adjacent normal attack, after damage if the attacker rolled more blanks (adding 1 if at least 1 was rolled and the defender does not have Super Strength) than the defender, move the defender in a straight line 1 space for each excess blank. If the defender cannot complete this movement due to another figure or Destructible Object or terrain elevation equal to or greater than their height, roll one attack die against each affected figure and Destructible Object.

Knockback exists in various forms throughout various customs projects. This is my take, intended to be somewhat of a rarity (since it automatically applies to every figure with Super Strength) that nonetheless creates interesting choices and moments in the game. It's also intended to be a mandatory rule (making it optional means it has to be declared, or not, before every attack). Just as it's possible to take damage and not get knocked back, it's possible to get knocked back without having taken damage.

Molten Lava
Subtract 1 from your roll if the figure has Super Strength.
• If you roll 1, nothing happens.
• If you roll 2-8, this figure receives 1 wound.
• If you roll 9-18, this figure receives 2 wounds.
• If you roll 19-20, this figure is destroyed.

There are a lot of Small and Medium superheroes who will have a very bad day if they slip (or get knocked back) into lava, hence the change. It's still just as devastating to Squads, but now heroes aren't instantly toast (most of the time). Since it has been toned down, it's also inverted from the official rule so that things like the Glyph of Lodin no longer help.

Ruined Buildings
When the Wall Destructible Object is destroyed, remove the ruined floor section and place any figures on the ruined floor section onto the spaces directly below. If the figure cannot be placed due to another figure or a Destructible Object on that space, roll attack dice for each figure or Destructible Object equal to its remaining Life. The figure or Destructible Object which rolled the fewest skulls (or tied for fewest) is destroyed, any remaining figure or Destructible Object receives wounds equal to the number of skulls rolled for it, then place the remaining figure or Destructible Object (if any) on that space.

This rule has two-fold intent. First and foremost, to prevent ranged figures from camping on the ruins and wiping out melee figures who can't retaliate. Second, to prevent parking Deathreavers or other expendable figures underneath to destroy falling figures due to no legal placements. The roll-off has been reworked into a single roll. It is possible for everything to be destroyed.

Glyphs
Some figures have powers that start them with a glyph on their card. A figure that starts the game with a glyph cannot voluntarily drop that glyph.
When a figure carrying a glyph is affected by Knockback from an enemy figure's attack, that figure must drop one glyph on its space before being moved.

===============

Marvel Master Set

Wave I

Wave II

Wave III

Wave IV

Squad Pack I

By Points:

Glyphs

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; October 8th, 2022 at 11:55 AM. Reason: SHIELD & Skrulls
Old November 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Coming Soon: SuperHeroScape™ by NecroBlade

I like the ruined building rules. Very cool.
Any chance you have additional custom buildings?
Must have secret formula.
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:01 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I'm excited to see what you come up with. I really really liked the simplicity of @Grishnakh 's superhero customs. I sense you're going in yet another direction; can't wait to see it!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 11th, 2018, 02:30 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I like the ruined building rules. Very cool.
Any chance you have additional custom buildings?
Must have secret formula.
Thanks. No plans for custom buildings, though sooner or later I'd like to create DO rules for other Heroscape obstacles.

The most I'll say about the secret formula* is it's very basic. Each stat gets assigned a value, each power a somewhat arbitrary number as well. Additional math is involved to figure out the total +/- versus whatever you're comparing it to. I'd say 60% of the time it works every time**, and by that I mean it's probably within 10 points. No matter how close I think that is, more math, adjustments, and of course testing always comes later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm excited to see what you come up with. I really really liked the simplicity of @Grishnakh 's superhero customs. I sense you're going in yet another direction; can't wait to see it!
Thanks. I'm not familiar with Grishnak's heroes, but I will say I tried to keep things simple whenever possible. That's not to say there aren't heroes with 4 powers (there are) or wordy powers (there are), but nothing should get too complicated.

===============

I was going to start alphabetically, but since Abomination and Incredible Hulk are so similar, here they both are at once!

Not much of a deviation from the official version here. Stats and powers are the same, except now instead of -3 Attack after leaping, Abomination must use Stomp. Thematically, he slams into the ground very hard after a Super Leap. This is arguably a nerf or a buff. On the one hand, he's only losing 1/2 dice from the official -3 Attack version to gain the ability to affect multiple figures. On the other, he can't leap halfway across the board to drop 5 Attack on someone from height. Meanwhile, he's 40 points cheaper because Stomp isn't super easy to set up or that strong, and even with 6 Defense and 8 Life heroes tend to get worn down by squads. (As I said, this project should mix fine with classic 'scape, plus, eventually, I'll have SuperHeroScape Squads as well...) I may or may not move the must-attack-with-Stomp language to Super Leap later, when I get to other characters that may or may not have Super Leap but not Stomp.

All the changes to Abomination apply to Hulk as well. Hulk does gain 1 Move and 1 Defense over the official stats. While that plus Rage Smash does put him 100 points ahead of Abomination, I understand that it looks like it would be more than a 10-point adjustment compared to official Hulk. That's tempered by the Stomp change being a much bigger nerf to Hulk than it is to Abomination. Before, fully raging Hulk could leap and still throw 9 dice from height... now it's just 3.

===============

Fun fact: the official designers mentioned testing superheroes against Romans, so that's what I did, too. Legions and legions of Romans...

Fun fact: the point total of my first 50 heroes comes to exactly 11,000.

===============

*, **

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 11th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: SuperHeroScape™ by NecroBlade: Abomination and Hulk 11/1

Cool tweaks on the official versions. Really dig the Super Leap -> Stomp interaction.
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:33 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That is exactly how I thought it should be. You should have to Stomp after a Leap.
Very cool start.
Old November 12th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Cool tweaks on the official versions. Really dig the Super Leap -> Stomp interaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
That is exactly how I thought it should be. You should have to Stomp after a Leap.
Very cool start.
Thanks. I always kinda thought that was how they should've worked, nice to see others like it, too!

===============

Alphabetically, Captain America is next... and since I paired the other two, Red Skull's here as well.

Cap takes a bigger departure from his canon version than the other two. His stats remain, but his powers are all similar-but-different. Gone is the crazy Valiant build (good riddance!), though other new, possibly equally strong possibilities abound. Avengers Assemble! is a wonderfully thematic change, and the revealed OM language makes sure Cap leads from the front (and doesn't attempt any bonding shortcut shenanigans; see his nemesis below). Shield Ricochet can be every bit as powerful as it seems, but it can also fizzle out on the first roll and do nothing. The limitation of spaces from the defending figure and from Cap is a thematic one you'll see play out in other powers as well. Vibranium Alloy Shield was as much a personal choice as anything else; Counter Strike always felt like the domain of the samurai to me (not that other figures don't have it) and while this does make Cap much tougher, it at least allows you some respite from his attacks on your own turns. Lastly, he gained 60 points. Whether or not he was underpriced before, these are three very potent powers.

Master Manipulator is the same, just much less wordy. You may notice both here and on Cap the change from things like "within X clear sight spaces of This Figure." Cuts down on word count, and it's the common sense answer, unless otherwise spelled out. Cosmic Cube (and +1 Defense) improve Red Skull's fragile nature, and CC is particularly nasty. Being an attack die means it can't be manipulated as easily as a d20. The "must" was a somewhat last-minute change, but plays well with his Ruthless personality, I think, and allows the sacrifice of other minions for Red Skull's gain. A 20-point drop accompanies his single attack, middle-of-the-road stats.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; November 18th, 2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Re: SuperHeroScape™ by NecroBlade: Captain America, Red Skul

Nice. Cap is going to be a tough nut to crack. I would say he is easily worth 280.
Good stuff.
Old November 14th, 2018, 08:09 PM

Re: SuperHeroScape™ by NecroBlade: Captain America, Red Skul

Tough is quite good, especially when it includes special attacks, though more susceptible than Abomination's +3 Life to auto-wounds (like Red Skull's Cosmic Cube - how fitting!).

===============

Doctor Doom gains 1 Life, one power, and 25 points. Mind Exchange is simplified, but the same. Planned Trap is really the only interesting thing here. And it is interesting! Like Cap's Shield Throw, it's another "within X spaces of its space and this figure" power. This prevents flinging a figure from 3 spaces on one side of Doom to 3 spaces directly on the other side, a total move of 7. It only succeeds once per turn maximum, but that helps create tension and makes the opponent think about how to prioritize their turn.

Iron Man gets a slightly bigger boost for slightly fewer points. 15 points buys him Advanced Armor, which makes a lot of thematic sense as well as going a long way toward improving his otherwise glass cannon nature. Repulsor Blast seems like a big buff at first, but it's not without its drawbacks. He doesn't have to get height to get 5 dice, but he can't modify that to 6+ in other ways. Likewise, the Range is fixed at 6. Still, it's a special attack which gets around the occasional defensive power. The +1 Attack is largely irrelevant, since Repulsors will probably be used more often than not, but it does help him with the Knockback rule, especially if he's able to get other attack boosts as well. Oh, and I also have some running themes with odd point costs. Here, Tony gets to end in 5 because of his arrogance (butting heads with others).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Last edited by NecroBlade; November 21st, 2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:34 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: SuperHeroScape™ by NecroBlade: Doctor Doom, Iron Man 11/

Can Tony use Repulsors AND his normal attack?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 16th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Not without wording like Mok. This is just my rewording of Double Attack. I may be biased, but I didn't make Tony that good. In fact, 4 Life still sucks in the superhero realm and he's still easy to tie down (though he can blast his way out more effectively, now).

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 16th, 2018, 11:35 AM

I like that you made his double attack a special attack. I think it is good practice to make most multi-attacks, special.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations