Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Classicsmiley is surprisingly tart
Teaching the next generation, and losing...

I just lost. To my 4-year-old and my 5-year-old.

I haven't been able to play nearly as much Heroscape recently as I would like to, so I decided it was high time to try
to start teaching my boys. (My almost-3-year-old would love to play, but isn't quite there yet. It is cute, however,
to hear him say "Kwug.")

I started by playing 1-on-1 games against each of them earlier today, and culminated with a 3-player game this
evening. I've bairly started teaching Basic rules, so we've been working on moving (including elevation), attacking,
and defending. I haven't introduced range yet. Both boys have started learning to read, so picking out the
appropriate words on the cards has been good practice for them.

In our game, I had Grimnak and Major X17, my 4-year-old had Deathwalker 7000 and Major Q9, and my 5-year-old had Krug
and Dund. I drew first blood, when Grimnak took out Deathwalker 7000. Q9 then got mad that his friend had been killed, and headed over to take out Grimnak. In the mean time, I had sent X17 over to take on Krug. After a couple of fruitless attacks, I sent him over to attack Dund. After a successfull attack, I was down to X17, vs. my 4-year-old's Q9 and 5-year-old's Krug. My boys then decided to gang up on me, and I ended up being the first player eliminated from the game, thanks to Krug. The next turn, Q9 attacked Krug and won, making my 4-year-old the winner.

As "boring" as the Basic side of cards can be, I actually had a lot of fun. I doubt it will bee too many more games, and I'll be able to start introducing Range, sqads, etc. The mere fact that we each played with multiple characters, and they had to choose each turn who they were moving was a good step, strategy-wise.

So, I lost, but I think I'm in the process of winning.

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Teaching the next generation, and losing...

Awesome story! I love how HeroScape is simple enough to be a teaching tool for kids, yet complex enough to consternate even the best strategists!
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great story Classicsmiley. I, too, play the basic side with my kid (5yo). We play Marvel that way primarily, but he loves it. He hasn't quite got the strategic value as to why you go for the height, but he knows he gets to roll more dice if he does.

I think the basic side is perfect for teaching the little ones, and I do agree wholeheartedly, that, in losing, we are really winning.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Troubleman23 has disabled reputation

Im 13 years old and I have many friends who like Heroscape. Your kids remind me of them. Some, like me, use the advanced side. But most of my friends insist on playing the Basic side. They are even older then me too They refuse to play unless we play the Basic side. I can understand it for 4 and 5 year olds and even a 3 year old but 13 and 14 year olds! My friends have no class

If you are interested in winning free stuff, please PM me, no joke, you know you want to!
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleman23 View Post
My friends have no class
Could be because school's out for the summer

(Couldn't resist- plus you got my rep)

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM

miniandmee7 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleman23 View Post
My friends have no class
Could be because school's out for the summer
ALICE COOPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOHOO

If chocolate chip cookies are made out of chocolate chips...what are girl scout cookies made of?

If vegetabale oil is made out of vegetables...what is baby oil made of?
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice post. You just got some postive rep from me.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation

The little kids of today are tomorrow's scapers. It is good to teach them at a young age.

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)

Last edited by JANDAR88; June 11th, 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

You should see my four year old brother play. His favorite army happens to include Q9. We're in a 3 player game right now and all he has left is Q9. Somehow he killed my Mimring, Sonya, and Marro Warriors. I'm having to run away with Cyprien, while my cousin is just laughing. My cousin has Sonlen, Kyntela, Isamu. and a 3 life Charos left (who he's healing), and my brother is out for revenge trying to finish off Cyprien. We use the advanced sides in all our games, and my brother pretty much knows all the powers on his favorite cards thanks to me reading them to him. The only problem is strategy, he gets a goal and tries to finish it even if he'll die doing it. In this game I guess it's, "revenge on the brother who didn't let me play X-box today," but he'll learn through experience.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports