Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 20th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Re: Leaf_It's customs. [UPDATED: OCT. 1, 2018]

Hi Leaf_It,
I really like importing abilities from other games or characters and converting them into scape abilities. It is always a creative challenge, so kudos for going for it.

Concerning Reactionary Fire. It is very thematic and I really like the concept. There are some issues with it as-is, however.

One, it would be considered turn interruption which is typically frowned upon because of the many issues it may cause as far as when are things triggered. For instance, if a figure ends its move 6 clear sight spaces from a [] and it has an “after moving, but before attacking” ability, which ability is triggered first, the opponent’s unit or your [] unit? Or if an opponent’s figure emerges from behind ruins to be adjacent to 1 [] but not another, which triggers first, the attack from the opponent’s figure or the ability from the unengaged []? These are just some of the issues that can arise from turn interruption. It is the reason the original designers tried to steer clear of turn interruption.

I really like the idea for the ability. Maybe there is some way to change it mechanically while still remaining true to the theme. Anyone who is familiar with my design style knows that I love translating theme into abilities. Unfortunately, as I have found out on many occasions, sometimes theme does have to take a back seat to function.
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Hi Leaf_It,
I really like importing abilities from other games or characters and converting them into scape abilities. It is always a creative challenge, so kudos for going for it.

Concerning Reactionary Fire. It is very thematic and I really like the concept. There are some issues with it as-is, however.

One, it would be considered turn interruption which is typically frowned upon because of the many issues it may cause as far as when are things triggered. For instance, if a figure ends its move 6 clear sight spaces from a [] and it has an “after moving, but before attacking” ability, which ability is triggered first, the opponent’s unit or your [] unit? Or if an opponent’s figure emerges from behind ruins to be adjacent to 1 [] but not another, which triggers first, the attack from the opponent’s figure or the ability from the unengaged []? These are just some of the issues that can arise from turn interruption. It is the reason the original designers tried to steer clear of turn interruption.

I really like the idea for the ability. Maybe there is some way to change it mechanically while still remaining true to the theme. Anyone who is familiar with my design style knows that I love translating theme into abilities. Unfortunately, as I have found out on many occasions, sometimes theme does have to take a back seat to function.
Thanks for the feedback.

Concerning Reactionary Fire's "Turn interruption" issues, I direct your attention the official scape designs known as Arkmer, and the Nakita Agents, and their Engagement Strike ability. As a secondary example, I direct your attention to the C3V design, Cathar Spearmen, and their Braced Spear ability. Reactionary Fire is just a ranged variation of these two abilities. The difference is that I gave a limiting factor by using counters, so that it wouldn't be over powered, and so that it would better fit the theme of reacting to the opponent.
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:09 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think the issue here is with the pre-turn clear sight requirement. It basically means that every time your opponent takes a turn, you have to be aware of which figures are within clear sight of every one of these guys. That's a lot of checking. Probably too much, I think.

You can clean it up to something like this, perhaps:

Quote:
Reactionary Fire:
Once per turn, if an opponent's figure moves onto a space where it can end its movement within 6 clear sight spaces of an unengaged [], you may remove an Anticipation marker from this Army Card and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, that figure receives a wound.

Last edited by superfrog; November 20th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:30 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Concerning Reactionary Fire's "Turn interruption" issues, I direct your attention the official scape designs known as Arkmer, and the Nakita Agents, and their Engagement Strike ability. As a secondary example, I direct your attention to the C3V design, Cathar Spearmen, and their Braced Spear ability. Reactionary Fire is just a ranged variation of these two abilities. The difference is that I gave a limiting factor by using counters, so that it wouldn't be over powered, and so that it would better fit the theme of reacting to the opponent.
I stand corrected. That is what I get for being out of the game for so long. I had forgotten the Nakita Agents even existed.

I had more to say but I took so long to say this (that is what I get for doing this at work) that I was super ninja'd by super frog. I agree with SF and his rewording. It still carries the theme but does expedite game play.

Again, great thematic adaptation
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I figure Anticipation will only be used at the start of the battle, while figures are still mobilizing. 2/3/4 attacks are much better than a single wound with less than a 25% chance of occuring (because you have to roll for the effect twice). This power seems stronger on a cheap, common hero because the choice is more important. On a squad, you’d only do it sparingly, like when you are giving up one potential attack vs Q9.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I think the issue here is with the pre-turn clear sight requirement. It basically means that every time your opponent takes a turn, you have to be aware of which figures are within clear sight of every one of these guys. That's a lot of checking. Probably too much, I think.

You can clean it up to something like this, perhaps:

Quote:
Reactionary Fire:
Once per turn, if an opponent's figure moves onto a space where it can end its movement within 6 clear sight spaces of an unengaged [], you may remove an Anticipation marker from this Army Card and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, that figure receives a wound.
I knew this wording needed fixing up, and this is basically what I was trying to do. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
I stand corrected. That is what I get for being out of the game for so long. I had forgotten the Nakita Agents even existed.

I had more to say but I took so long to say this (that is what I get for doing this at work) that I was super ninja'd by super frog. I agree with SF and his rewording. It still carries the theme but does expedite game play.

Again, great thematic adaptation
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I figure Anticipation will only be used at the start of the battle, while figures are still mobilizing. 2/3/4 attacks are much better than a single wound with less than a 25% chance of occuring (because you have to roll for the effect twice). This power seems stronger on a cheap, common hero because the choice is more important. On a squad, you’d only do it sparingly, like when you are giving up one potential attack vs Q9.
I envisioned this on a 2 man squad of snipers. Anticipation has the 50% chance to place the counter just because I haven't playtested this idea, and I was worried that ranged Engagement Strike would be too good. Maybe I should just give the counters for free, and adjust the Reactionary Fire roll. Playtesting will probably be necessary to get a clearer answer. I would like to make this design universal enough that it could work on a hero just as well as a squad, like Engagement Strike does.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
MI envisioned this on a 2 man squad of snipers. Anticipation has the 50% chance to place the counter just because I haven't playtested this idea, and I was worried that ranged Engagement Strike would be too good. Maybe I should just give the counters for free, and adjust the Reactionary Fire roll. Playtesting will probably be necessary to get a clearer answer. I would like to make this design universal enough that it could work on a hero just as well as a squad, like Engagement Strike does.
I much prefer dropping the 50% chance of even being able to place a marker and only adjusting the actual D20 roll as needed. That seems a lot cleaner and more broadly applicable to me.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

C3G recently did a power a lot like this for an unreleased unit and it's a lot of fun. Doesn't have the "forego attack to get a marker" bit, but just starts the game with a marker.

The effect is a lot like what superfrog is outlining, but it does have the condition that it doesn't work on figures that start their move in-range (which I see Leaf_It's version has).
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:55 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
C3G recently did a power a lot like this for an unreleased unit and it's a lot of fun. Doesn't have the "forego attack to get a marker" bit, but just starts the game with a marker.

The effect is a lot like what superfrog is outlining, but it does have the condition that it doesn't work on figures that start their move in-range (which I see Leaf_It's version has).
Yeah, I did leave that part out. I always think it's best to avoid "bookkeeping" in powers, where you have to keep track of what happened in the past. This would be a light example, so maybe it could be re-introduced without adding too much complexity.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I think for the most part the bookkeeping isn't much trouble, but I respect the impulse to drop it and streamline. It probably would be slightly more of a hassle in classic vs C3G.
Old August 31st, 2019, 08:53 PM

Einar monk (name pending)

Quote:
Human
Unique Hero
Monk
Stoic

3 Life
6 Move
1 Range
3 Attack
3 Defense
40? Points

Anticipated Assault:
When rolling defense dice, if [] successfully defended against the attack, place an Anticipated Assault marker on this card, up to 3 total. After attacking with [] you may remove 1 Anticipated Assault marker from this card, if you do, she may attack one additional time.

Melee Defense +1:

Stealth Leap:
Been working on this a bit for a few months. I even have a pretty good figure with availability. I'll post pics later.

Thoughts?
Old August 31st, 2019, 11:39 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Is the idea that she’s like going with the flow of combat? Have you considered a d20 auto-wound that happens after defense dice?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards