Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old June 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Are Marvel and DC The Same?

Back when I was a kid, the first time I remember what year it was is a memory of the copyright statement at the bottom of a comic book title page: Copyright 1959. Back then I was trading comics on the stoops of Bayside, Queens, New York City. Since then I've tried to keep up in general with what's going on, although I stopped buying mags regularly years ago. The occasional graphic novel or chat with a younger pal keeps me informed to a degree, and I'm collecting recent animations on DVD and old superhero TV series and movies (along with lots of Japanese anime).

The biggest change back in my active days was when Jack Kirby migrated (back) to DC after co-creating the Marvel Universe, and started his Fourth World trilogy and later others. I couldn't tell one company from another when it came to Kirby, my favorite creator (see Who's Your Favorite Kirby Character thread).

Now I watch Justice League Unlimited animated episodes, and it seems to me that the newer minor DC characters are all copies of specific Marvel ones. What do you say? Is there really any difference anymore? Or is the real juice today in the independents?
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Shandor Brithod Woo who?
Re: Are Marvel and DC The Same?

The difference your noting is more of the powers not the back story or even the personality differences. Take a look at the new JLA (yes I am not a collector of comics in tights but I have a lot of friends who do) it is a far stretch darker and much more realistic. By bringing in the reality factor you will find that the average person seems much like his neibour.

We are all very simmilar in many ways no matter where you go in the world, it is the individual experiences, intrests, fears that make us unique and even then only to a degree from someone else who has led a simmilar life, the flow together is a strech based on just those ideas. Reread the book "Everybody Poops" and then you will get the full scope of what happened when they made superhero's all much more realistic across the board.

The real juice has always been with the idependant comics or the ones who's stories are just so outlandish they can't possibly connect to any other hero or lead roll. But then again personalities can only be streched so far.

Sanity is for the weak willed!

Last edited by Shandor Brithod; November 12th, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Marvel - Enemies tend to be more complex (as a whole), real world locations and people are more likely to be used. The world as a whole tends to be more about shades of gray.

DC - Enemies, locations, etc tend much more towards archetypes as a whole.

EDIT: Again, alot of this has to do with the writer and what they are allowed to do and how well they do it. Magneto at his best is a tragic figure, unable to trust people after living through the hell of the Holocaust and saying Never again. Except now he has the power to act on that. At his worst he's pure cheese with his Brotherhood "EVIL" mutants. Ugh.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; November 12th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

To me, the major difference between Marvel and DC are the heroes. In DC, most of the time, the heroes are portrayed as "the good guys". The characters don't really have a dark side.

Marvel on the other hand has many characters that conflict with the traditional "good vs bad".

In the end, Marvel feels a bit more realistic to me, but DC is always a safe bet for that feel good comic.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
To me, the major difference between Marvel and DC are the heroes. In DC, most of the time, the heroes are portrayed as "the good guys". The characters don't really have a dark side.

Marvel on the other hand has many characters that conflict with the traditional "good vs bad".

In the end, Marvel feels a bit more realistic to me, but DC is always a safe bet for that feel good comic.
Yeah, DC is very Black and White, where Marvel is much more shades of Gray.

Again, to use Magneto for an example - while he does bad things, you can easily understand the reasoning that pushed him along that path. The heroes tend to be much more conflicted about what they are doing, they tend to be less "exceptional" (IE, few have all the powers of Superman, the money, brilliance, and skill of Batman). Also, Marvel tends towards having villains who are truly more powerful than the hero. Both sides have some silly rogues galleries though.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

While I'm not an avid comic reader, I do occasionally enjoy reading them. DC is too flashy for me; I find the Marvel characters (good and evil) to be much easier to relate to. the story is less about how cool their powers are and more about interpersonal struggles. I think of Marvel as a story set in the context of superheroes, rather than a story about superheroes.
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
While I'm not an avid comic reader, I do occasionally enjoy reading them. DC is too flashy for me; I find the Marvel characters (good and evil) to be much easier to relate to. the story is less about how cool their powers are and more about interpersonal struggles. I think of Marvel as a story set in the context of superheroes, rather than a story about superheroes.
If you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend picking up "Marvels" (Trade Paperback). Amazing art + the golden age seen from the viewpoint of the ordinary humans.

Old November 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM

The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker

No, Marvel tends to be a tiny bit more friendly to all readers while DC is very dark and depressing. I used to read a lot of DC comics, but stopped because they were so dark.

The Champion of Weston is Sir Denrick...
in the DIAMOND CAVE...
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM

darth_herard Woo who?

Marvel's movies tend to directly adapt from comics, while DC is their own ideas. Marvel makes comics of at least 5 different ratings, and DC just makes adult comics.

"It's dead, Jim."
HeroScape: 2004 - 2010
So here's to those who are dead and gone...
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_herard View Post
DC just makes adult comics.
Not true. They've got Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Super Friends, Tiny Titans, Looney Tunes, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam to name just a few of their ongoing children's comics.

Rab"Has a Comic Reading Kid"Sheila

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_herard View Post
Marvel's movies tend to directly adapt from comics, while DC is their own ideas. Marvel makes comics of at least 5 different ratings, and DC just makes adult comics.
Marvel movies are straight from the comics? Have you seen X3???

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM

The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker

I would have to disagree the Marvel movies really follow none of the comics. None of the movies about the Marvel or DC characters follow the comics.

The Champion of Weston is Sir Denrick...
in the DIAMOND CAVE...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics