Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM

jkav has disabled reputation
common squads

if you have two of the same common squad {stingers}, when making a move, say if you have six or eight figures , can you move any of the them and do you than attack with the figures moved. or is it possible to attack with any of the six after moving
Thanks in advance.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You may do any of the following:

--Move any three Stingers and attack with those three and those three only.
--Move any two Stingers and attack with those two and any one other.
--Move any one Stinger and attack with that one and any two others.
--Move no Stingers and attack with any three.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
You move any 3 (stingers) and attack with the 3 that are moved.
If you only move 2, and decide to attack, you have to attack with the 2 that are moved. Your 3rd attack can be any other figure. The same idea works if you move only 1 or none.
There are units that defy this rule, such as Zombies. You can move 6 of them (2 squads) in one turn and attack with any 3 you want.
You may want to check out my Heroscape Brief Card (the link is in my signature). It may help .

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Put yet another way...

1) You can attack with up to three Stingers (the number in a squad).

2) Anyone who moved, must be one of the attackers.

Ta dah!
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:54 AM

thanks a bunch , thats what I thought, we are new scapers
and couldn't agree as to how the common squads worked together
you guys really helped us out. thanks again.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM

hey, the brief card is really cool man, thanks
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:04 AM

SunTzuNhu is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
You may do any of the following:

--Move any three Stingers and attack with those three and those three only.
--Move any two Stingers and attack with those two and any one other.
--Move any one Stinger and attack with that one and any two others.
--Move no Stingers and attack with any three.
I understand that this is the general consensus for squad movement and attacks, which was further explained in another thread. But I am in disagreement with most people's interpretations as outlined in the 3rd Edition SOTM Rule Book.

In the rule book, I do not find where it states that one of the attacking squad members must be one that moved. Below are quoted passages from 3rd edition.

Page 8
1. PLACE YOUR ORDER MARKERS
... If your Army includes two or more of the same common Army Card, you don't need to keep these figures separate (that is, keep track of which figures belong to which card). For example, if you're using two cards worth of Marro Stinger figures, each Order Marker placed on either Army Card activates any three of them.

3. ON YOUR TURN
Start your turn by revealing your Order marker for that turn, then laying it number-side up on the Army Card.
... Order of movement: Move Squad figures in any order, one at a time.

Page 11
Action 3. Attack with Figure(s) on the Army Card
Who can attack? Any figure(s) on your chosen Army Card within Range, and with a clear Line of Sight, can attack. If no figure on your Army Card meets these two conditions, then no attack is possible.

Page 12
ATTACKING
The figures on your chosen Army Card attack one at a time, in any order. Each figure can attack only once, but each figure can attack the same figure or a different figure.

According to the rules that I've quoted above, it never states that any attacking squad figures must be one of the previously moved squad figures. By all rights, if I have 12 Zombies on the board, I should be allowed to move any 3 and attack with any 3, regardless if they moved or not.

Granted, this issue has been clarified by Craig Van Ness in the following thread.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...r=asc&start=15
But considering the thousands of players who don't read these boards or are in contact with Craig Van Ness, it seems more logical to stay within the bounds of the rules that come with the game.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM

ASmiles Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzuNhu
According to the rules that I've quoted above, it never states that any attacking squad figures must be one of the previously moved squad figures. By all rights, if I have 12 Zombies on the board, I should be allowed to move any 3 and attack with any 3, regardless if they moved or not.
Well, the Zombies are an awful example to use, because they are the one unit that is allowed to break these rules.

I'm not sure why the text was left off for SotM, but the relevant section from the 2nd edition rules is:

Quote:
Page 16, Common Army Cards:

You don't need to keep these figures separate (that is, keep track of which figures belong to which card). For example, if you're using two cards worth of Blade Grut figures, each order marker placed on either Army Card activates any 4 of them.
If you moved 4 and then attacked with a different 4, you'd be activating 8 gruts, which is not allowed by the rules.

I'm assuming that the omission in SotM is an instance of poor editing and not a wholesale change in the way the game is played.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Record in Beantown Beatdown Tournaments 15-1-1
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the Zombies are an awful example to use, because they are the one unit that is allowed to break these rules.
I agree, the Zombies were a poor example to use. (They were the first squads that came to mind.) But my argument would remain the same if I were to use other squads, i.e. Blade Gruts, Roman Archers, etc. I compared the 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules, and it appears that the relevant section has indeed been omitted from the SotM rule book.

The following section does not appear in SotM.
Quote:
RotV 2nd Edition Rule Book
Page 16
Common Army Cards:
You don't need to keep these figures separate (that is, keep track of which figures belong to which card). For example, if you're using two cards worth of Blade Grut figures, each order marker placed on either Army Card activates any 4 of them.
For consistency, it would seem appropriate to stick to one rule book or the other, or just use the most recent.
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzuNhu
Quote:
I agree, the Zombies were a poor example to use. (They were the first squads that came to mind.) But my argument would remain the same if I were to use other squads, i.e. Blade Gruts, Roman Archers, etc. I compared the 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules, and it appears that the relevant section has indeed been omitted from the SotM rule book.

The following section does not appear in SotM.
Quote:
RotV 2nd Edition Rule Book
Page 16
Common Army Cards:
For consistency, it would seem appropriate to stick to one rule book or the other, or just use the most recent.
That does appear in the SotM rulebook. You quoted it in your first post. Page 8, under "Place your order markers". I don't see any inconsistancies.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That does appear in the SotM rulebook. You quoted it in your first post. Page 8, under "Place your order markers". I don't see any inconsistancies.
Good catch. I was focusing towards the end of the rule book where it discusses using multiple sets and completely missed that sentence earlier in the book. Thanks!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's