Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old May 31st, 2020, 02:52 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: HoME General Discussion Thread

I've got some company today. Will try to get some proposals up to move us forward in the next day or two.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:37 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

This is what our polls look like right now:

#1 How powerful should the most powerful medium unique heroes in Middle Earth (Gandalf, Legolas, Glorfindel, Galadriel, Saruman etc.) be compared to other Heroscape figures?
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Code:
Option 1 | 02 | 5.13%
Option 2 |  1 | 2.56%
Option 3 |  1 | 2.56%
Option 4 |  2 | 5.13%
Option 5 |  2 | 5.13%
Option 6 | 17 | 43.59%
Option 7 | 19 | 48.72%
#2 What kinds of generals should the project use?
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Code:
Option 1 |  0 | 0%
Option 2 | 16 | 43.24%
Option 3 |  5 | 13.51%
Option 4 | 17 | 45.95%
Option 5 |  0 | 0%
#3 Should HoME avoid synergy with classic figures? Or should they have as much synergy as possible? Or neither?
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Code:
Option 1 |  1 | 2.63%
Option 2 |  1 | 2.63%
Option 3 |  9 | 23.68%
Option 4 | 26 | 68.42%
Option 5 |  4 | 10.53%
#4 How complex should the cards be? Should the average words-per-power and average powers-per-card be higher or lower?
Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
Code:
Option 1 |  2 | 5.41%
Option 2 | 19 | 51.35%
Option 3 | 12 | 32.43%
Option 4 |  6 | 16.22%
Option 5 |  1 | 2.70%

--
--
--

--
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:48 PM

To begin with I would say that we're not obligated to do anything the way these polls say, although they're useful in understanding what the community wants. If there's a specific case where we think we're better off going against what the polls appear to communicate I think that's probably fine.

I would say that, given a margin of error for our sample size, questions 1 and 2 are effectively tied, while questions 3 and 4 have a pretty decisive answer.

How shall we resolve the ties? For question 1 I think we need to look to strike a happy medum of around 200 points as our "medium figure point cap", but of course the design should come first--we don't need to inflate a design to be more powerful than we feel it should just to satisfy these poll results.

For question 2 I think we will have to make cards of both types. Given the resounding answer on classic synergy, we should design for classic generals first but keep the HoME generals in mind when designing--they shouldn't be just an afterthought in the art department.

What do y'all think? @Ninja Status @White Knight @Shiftrex @boromir96 @infectedsloth @Splash @Archie97 @Son of Arathorn @Ronin @Chris Perkins
(sorry if I missed anyone; we need to update our "membership" roll)

--
--
--

--
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:02 PM

I also started a proposal to get our first Fellowship off the ground!

--
--
--

--
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:02 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Question 2 only becomes important if, for example, we want Glamdring or Sting to affect all figures that follow Utgar and Valkrill. It sounds kind of strange on Gandalf and Frodo to refer to Heroscape generals. In that case, we probably either want to avoid it all together, or make two sets of cards.
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Question 2 only becomes important if, for example, we want Glamdring or Sting to affect all figures that follow Utgar and Valkrill. It sounds kind of strange on Gandalf and Frodo to refer to Heroscape generals. In that case, we probably either want to avoid it all together, or make two sets of cards.
Well, 43% of our audience don't think it is strange for Gandalf and Frodo to refer to Heroscape generals

I think we would make such a power refer to Utgar and Valkrill and then have a mapping of what those generals are in our "custom" world and do a find/replace for the HoME general versions.

So
Gandalf rolls an additional attack die against figures that follow Utgar or Valkrill.
would become something along the lines of
Gandalf rolls an additional attack die against figures that follow Morgoth.
And our mapping would be something like
Jandar = Manwe
Utgar = Morgoth
Valkrill = Morgoth
etc.

And we would FAQ that if you play with the HoME general cards then they are truly separate generals, but if you play with the Valkyrie general cards then they are the same--basically, do what the card says, not what it doesn't. And that makes both parties happy.

EDIT: I want to point out that's not the only place it matters. For instance, if we make a Warlord that follows Einar or Ullar, it would bond with Sacred Band or Armoc Vipers, but if the card follows a HoME general it wouldn't have synergy with either of those cards. I am pretty sure there are other examples like that as well. Providing both cards makes both parties happy and should be pretty low cost to us.

--
--
--

--
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:18 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I'm pretty sure we talked about this before, but I see:

Utgar = Sauron
Valkrill = Morgoth

Unless we plan to have a playable Sauron.

I imaging the Valar and Maiar would be the HoME generals (except for the Istari wizards who were more like men).

On the other hand, we could make Sauron an epic hero (around 300 points) and Morgoth an epic hero (maybe 400 or 500 points).

Of course, there is no reason we can't have fighting generals. So Rohan would be a faction, Gondor would be a faction, etc...
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:23 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think there's a strong case for HoME Generals to be based around geographic regions instead of the Valar.

If based on the Valar, I'm unsure who men of Gondor / Rohan / etc would belong to. Any particular Valar would seem forced to me.

Perhaps for these, we'd have something like:
Utgar = Mordor
Valkrill = Misty Mountains (Includes Isenguard)
Jandar = Gondor
Einar = Rohan
Ullar = Lorien / Rivendel / Grey Havens
Vydar = The Shire
Aquilla = Mirkwood

Although that list certainly doesn't include all the characters we'd want. Something like Smaug would have trouble fitting into that list. Then again I don't see how Smaug fits great into any particular Valar either.

Thoughts on Geographic Regions?
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:25 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would certainly like to leave room for a playable Sauron / Morgoth / etc. Not in an initial release plan certainly, but possibly doing a Silmarilion Master Set 3 later on down the road could be quite fun.
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:35 PM

For HoME, we don't need to limit ourselves to just 7 generals.

The problem will be eventually including the Silmarillian characters. They won't fit into the 3rd Age generals.

I have a list of figures we'll eventually want to include, with suggested generals. I'll have to type it up soon.
Old June 1st, 2020, 09:40 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For Power Level, I feel like we can compromise and keep our top tiers (things we aren't making right away and that deal more with the mythology or sundering of the world) on the higher end of the option we presented while the power house mortals wind up between the two options with our mortal and standard heroes falling closer toward the weaker option. If we have a spread, I think we can appeal to more people and create a thematic or understandable curve to the figures that we create.

As for HoME generals and Valhalla generals. We could honestly just create 2 versions, minor verbiage changes and recommend that you print them out and stick them back to back so you can flip your card if you like them. I think we should have a lot of options for this going forward.
Old June 1st, 2020, 09:52 PM

Looks like we have some hashing out to do about exactly how we want to create the two different card versions.

--

By the way, @everyone, I had intended to put 5 people as the number of people in the first fellowship proposal. If anyone objects to that number let me know, otherwise I will assume that's what it will be.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs