Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Charos

The Book of Charos
Orm's Return - Heroes of Laur

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Dragons should never be underestimated, and those who do so usually don¹t live long enough to regret it. This sentimentis doubly true of Charos. Approaching him is dangerous, and one should think twice before attacking him. His great wings can buffet any attack and counter it, striking the unsuspecting assailant. Of course General Ullar knows the value of Dragons; that nothing is quite as terrifying as a huge armor plated flying monster. Charos, however, is not all brawn and no brains. He is as valiant as he is intelligent, and a king in his own right. (Hasbro)

Quote:
COUNTER STRIKE
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.

FLYING
When counting spaces for Charos's movement, ignore elevation. Charos may fly over water without stopping. Charos may pass over figures without becoming engaged. Charos may fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Charos starts to fly, if he is engaged he will take any leaving engagement attacks.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
- COUNTERSTRIKE : Counterstrike Against Samurai
Does Charos' Counterstrike work against Samurai?
Yes it works against everyone. No one is safe from Charos. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
- ACOLARH : Ullar's Amulet
As a unit that follows Ullar, Charos may benefit from Acolarh's ULLAR'S AMULET movement bonus.

-GREENSCALE WARRIORS: Lizard King Bonding
As a Unique Huge Dragon Hero, Charos may benefit from the Greenscale Warrior's LIZARD KING BONDING activiation bonus.
Synergy Benefits Offered
- 4th MASSACHUSETTS LINE : Valiant Army Defense Bonus
Having a Valiant personality, Charos may aid the 4th Massachusetts Line with their VALIANT ARMY DEFENSE BONUS
*NOTE: See The Book of 4th Massachusetts Line for proper application.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Strategy Notes:
- If your opponent doesn't like the Izumi Samurai, just wait till their faces drop when you bring out Charos. At 210 points, drafting him takes a chunk out of your army, but he fills the void well. His attack of 5 allows him to mow through squad figures and his defense of 5 with Counter Strike makes him just as deadly as the Samurai. However, with his ability to take 9 wounds before he falls, he is a force to be reckoned with on any board! Charos can be used in almost any situation; however, he is best used on the front lines. Don't be afraid to throw him out there, he can hold his own in any fight. Here's another tactic that can be used with Charos. Try to take out all your opponent's figures with range first. Don't use Charos to do this, use the other figures you have drafted. Charos is most deadly when he is facing non-ranged characters. (Hasbro FAQ)
Who else could I draft with Charos?
- 4th Massachusetts Line
Once Charos becomes engaged to any number of figures, they will be stuck adjacent to him for a bit. To support Charos, make sure you have plenty of ranged figures. The 4th Massachusetts Line is perfect for this task because of their Wait Then Fire ability. The longer Charos can stand engaged against an attacking army; the longer the 4th Massachusetts Line can add that extra attack die. Charos, being valiant, can also help the 4th Massachusetts Line's defense. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Kelda the Kyrie Warrior
Absolutely nothing will irritate your opponents more than when they get Charos up to 7 or 8 wounds and Kelda flies over and can completely heal him. They are almost unstoppable together as long as you can keep Kelda safe while Charos takes the bulk of the attack. This plan will probably only work once though. Your opponents will start to target Kelda as soon as they figure out what your plan is. (Hasbro FAQ)
Who does Charos work well against?
- Melee Figures
Any figures with a range of 1 that must get adjacent to attack another figure is subject to his Counter Strike ability. At some point, your opponents will have to fight Charos while engaged. He will ultimately be their undoing. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Minions of Utgar
Charos eats Minions for breakfast. He can withstand enough of their deadly strike hits and will eventually land his killing blows either with Counter Strike, or with his base attack of 5. (Hasbro FAQ)

Power Rankings

Jexik: Charos- The release of the Raknar's Vision dragons bumped down Charos’ worth. Still a viable option, Charos can excel in the right situation. B+

OEAO: B+

Cleon: Tier 7 (56/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B+

Master Index
TBA

Unit Strategy Review
Unit Strategy Review: Charos

Last edited by superfrog; March 21st, 2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: vc added
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Hedge Knight Woo who?
Charos is sturdy and mobile, and a great answer to that timeless question, “what do I do about Q9?” Take maximum advantage of Counterstrike by engaging quickly, bludgeoning your opponent’s heavy hitters with 210 pts of wings and teeth. Supported with Raelin, Charos rolls SEVEN dice for Counterstrike. That’s right. Seven.

While your opponent deals with having this terror in his midst, you bring up your ranged support. Counterstrike means Charos doesn't need order markers on him to earn his keep, but help him out by focusing your fire on any opposing ranged troops.

(If you're going against Charos, you obviously want to try to whittle him down from a distance. Tie him up with squad members and turn all your ranged attacks on him.)

That's my . Cheers!
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Charos is definately a figure you don't want to take lightly on the battlefield. He is a straight up beast!!!! Even though he is 210 points and is almost half of the standard 500 point army, he is well worth it. Counterstrike allows him to wound/kill figures without having to put any order markers on him. If you draft Eldgrim and put him on Charos, you have 6 move flying beast that can reach you from almost anywhere! With his attack of 5, he will be able to wound a figure or kill them every time you put an order marker on him(unless they have a much higher defense or if you whiff)

*Note to self* Draft Charos more often

Old April 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM

TheEvilPenguin has disabled reputation
I agree, I think Charos is one Hell of a monster when you see him on the field, but, then again, for all those points? I guess 9 life is reason enough, but then you get counterstrike too! Still, though, I don't think the ends justify the means for me...

Well...then again... Thinking about it, this guy can pretty much run over anything you throw at him. I think the only people who CAN beat him are range fighters, but, really, the only range fighter that MIGHT be able to hurt him is Q9...And Q9 has a nasty little habit of not being very mobile, while Charos is quite the opposite. Even if you were to drop the Deathwalker 7000's 20 roll, you wouldn't kill this guy.

Those points, though...I dunno, I'd prefer the samurai if you were getting Charos for his counterstrike ability. It sure is alot for a counterstriking flier, and in most armies, he doesn't leave alot of room for anything else. I was originally going to say that the answer to him was Su-Bak-Na, but, I really began to realize that, even if you're swinging that much damage, you're not going to get to him most of the time. He's a tough beat, ol' Charos.

TheEvilPenguin is the Krav...
in the MAROON CAVE...
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

Riptide is surprisingly tart
The times that I have played against Charos, I have faired very well.

I have used my legionaiers and Marcus to surround him then brought up the Roman archers to volley against him. Raelin was mine (and usually is) so he had no back up. 6 dice versus 5 is pretty good odds you'll hit, then I was getting swings in with Marcus and the legionaires. I think that in a turn and a hlaf I had him beat down. When I have used him, he served his purpose, before I acquired Jotun, he was my Deathwalker slayer. In one game though, he was brought down sooner than I would have liked by Utgar's minions who were on a little higher ground.

He is worth the points if you're lucky and know how to get hiim in there to wreak havoc.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
One of my favorite aspects of Charos is that his high life allows you to leave an engagement while shrugging off the free strikes. This plus his flight makes him ideal for hunting down the heart of the enemy. If my opponent has Raelin I go eat her first then whoever is close by.

Partnered with Kelda you can do the disengage romp all over the map then fly her in when he is low to pump him back up to full. He is one of the few figures that can stand there taking it a couple turns while you are able to move Kelda into place to be of use.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealQ
One of my favorite aspects of Charos is that his high life allows you to leave an engagement while shrugging off the free strikes. This plus his flight makes him ideal for hunting down the heart of the enemy. If my opponent has Raelin I go eat her first then whoever is close by.

Partnered with Kelda you can do the disengage romp all over the map then fly her in when he is low to pump him back up to full. He is one of the few figures that can stand there taking it a couple turns while you are able to move Kelda into place to be of use.
Which is why the Knights of Weston are an ideal means to hold Charos in place. While 1 undefended attack die is easy to ignore, it's not so easy to flee from a possible 8 undefended skulls.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Aranas has disabled reputation
Charos is also a good figure for kids (7-11). It's always easier for them to play a big and robust dragon then many figures with plenty of special abilities to remember.

Aranas

Things you might have missed in the rulebook:
Figures can't pass through friendly engaged figures.
Figures can't attack themselves.

SITE D'HEROSCAPE FRANCOPHONE, C'EST PAR ICI
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Quote:

Which is why the Knights of Weston are an ideal means to hold Charos in place. While 1 undefended attack die is easy to ignore, it's not so easy to flee from a possible 8 undefended skulls.
The KoW are a good counter but not quite as capable as you might suspect. In the last Dallas Tournament my son played Charos and mercilessly ate two squads of knights although they did hold him down long enough for reenforcements to appear. Unfortunately, Kelda wasn't in play or Charos could have continued his meal with the Sentinels and 4th Mass who finally took him down.

Old May 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
The KoW are a good counter but not quite as capable as you might suspect. In the last Dallas Tournament my son played Charos and mercilessly ate two squads of knights although they did hold him down long enough for reenforcements to appear. Unfortunately, Kelda wasn't in play or Charos could have continued his meal with the Sentinels and 4th Mass who finally took him down.
It takes a minimum of 8 turns for Charos to go through 2 squads of Knights . What in the world was your sons opponent trying to take him down with that couldn't inflict enough wounds in 8 turns to take him out?
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
Eight turns...Does that include Counterstrike? Nothing like being able to attack during your turn and deal damage on your opponent's turn too. TECHNICALLY, it could take only ONE turn after Charos becomes engaged to eat a squad of knights.

Adam

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It takes a minimum of 8 turns for Charos to go through 2 squads of Knights . What in the world was your sons opponent trying to take him down with that couldn't inflict enough wounds in 8 turns to take him out?
This a team tournament and Charos wasn't the only thing the opponents had to be concerned with. I had Q9 who drew quite a bit of attention. The opponent had a bunch of 4th Mass. , Sentinels, KoW, and Concan. I can't remember what else they had if there was anything else. If you want confirmation ask RevDyer as he and his partner were our opponents. They did end up winning but Charos had his day...and knights. :P

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units