Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old May 9th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Hexless/gridless Heroscape

Still at work, but winding down and have some time.

Some good ideas so far, and it's interesting how you guys have an aversion to tape measures

Edit: lost a whole page of thoughts because my phone lost Internet I'll have to retry at home

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I have some gaming tape measures. If it comes down to it id get them out. If I end up using 2 inches per move/range space the measuring sticks could get a bit longer especially with range 9 and 10 units. Im still figuring out all the details though I think theres a solid base here. I look forward to your thoughts. Im probably most excited to be able to use huge figures that are way too big for peanut bases. You could have vehicles and such as well.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:04 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Once we get a baseline on measurements. Im thinking we'll go 2 inches per move space and 1 inch per space when going up terrain. Then ill try out some testing.

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:06 PM
"like" happy

@wriggz Yeah. Once we get it nailed down ill put the equivalent in metric.

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Still at work, but winding down and have some time.

Some good ideas so far, and it's interesting how you guys have an aversion to tape measures

Edit: lost a whole page of thoughts because my phone lost Internet I'll have to retry at home
Hate when that happens.

Tape measures are fine but are fudge-able. Sticks cannot be denied.
I like the ease of holding a stick. Looking forward to hearing how that works.

So 1 Move to move up 1" TREX? That will be pretty sweet.

If I were not so invested in C3G I would probably go hex-less, at least for awhile.

For adjacency, do bases have to touch or within 2"?

Would aura effects go off the base or the center of the figure?
If base, a bigger base is going to be an advantage.

I believe we cut out paper circles to represent blast radius when a Mech explodes, centered on the Mech.

You may need some kind of cut-out for Mimring's Fire Line and similar powers.
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:56 PM
"like" happy

Yeah. That should keep it fairly simple. 1 inch moving up levels and 2 inches per 1 space for range and move on regular terrain. Ill update later. Getting into guardians of the galaxy 2 right now. Within 2 inches is adjacent. So 2 inches from the targets base. You could go from center. Yeah for mims you could just hit everything the measure stick overlaps up to the range.

Old May 9th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I may go to 2 inches per 1 hex. I need to do some measuring but I think your right. I havent got to try it yet. Though the idea seems super solid and simple. Id also make figures on peanut bases lead with one edge and not go past their move number in inches. Thats why I wanted to discuss it. Great suggestions.
Heroscape hexes are 1.75" flat to flat and .375" tall (not included the raised area at the top, since those nestle inside).
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Regarding inches/centimeters, I wouldn't say the rest of the world uses centimeters, not by a longshot. For the most part, tabletop games distances are measured in inches, can considering much of that is coming out of Europe, I'd say inches is more of the standard than centimeters for gaming.

Some things I had thought about earlier and tried to post, but got lost because of lost internet at work.

Regarding engagement - the standard in tabletop seems to be that figures need to be in base to base contact to be considered engaged and able to do melee combat. That is a lot easier IMO than measuring each time a figure looks to be about an inch away. For double based figures that are difficult to get base to base with from some angles, perhaps rule it that as long as the figures are making contact, with a tail or wings for example, then that counts as base to base and engaged.

For starting areas - since table top games often aren't symmetrical, the rules will often have players do a roll-off after the table is setup with terrain. The winner of the roll will get to choose whether or not they want to have initiative in the first round, or get to choose which side of the table to deploy from (generally it's geared for 2 players and there will be 2 opposite table edges designated as entry points). Generally there will be an entry zone of 6 or 8 inches or whatever, from the edge of that table side. So you'd have the entire side of that map to enter from, up to the designated number of inches. Certainly there are various scenarios out there that modify starting positions, but this would be the most basic/generic.

Some games, like Frostgrave and the upcoming The Drowned Earth for example, allow for climbing up vertical surfaces. If the figure could not make it all the way to the top, they are placed at the bottom of that vertical edge, with a die showing how many inches they are up on the wall/surface. If this were implemented here, perhaps only single based unique heroes could do this to make it easier.

Old May 9th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Also, I'm in favor of base to base measuring for range. Keeps it easier. Though alternatively I've seen some games go center to center.

Many games use templates for area of effect attacks etc. Basically a circle with a hole cut in the center to be able to easily center on target. Easy to make of foamboard or cardstock. Once you figure out the different area of effect sizes you need, just make a handful of different sizes. Easiest way to quickly see who is affected could be to see if any part of the figure or base is overlapped by the template.

Old May 9th, 2017, 07:11 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

This looks like a really great start on thoughts that I have had over the years but never did more than thought about it.

Keep up the great discussion here.

Old May 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Prickly Cactus

Think of the possibilities of more interesting places to battle

My buddy Chris has these for us to use sometime whenever we feel like visiting Japan.

He also has the kit for this and still has to build and paint it.

Then he also has this kit that he assembled and still has to paint for some underground dungeon crawls, specifically for The Breeding Pits campaign for Frostgrave.

Just the tip of the iceberg of the possibilities for hexless gaming. Just like this is the golden age of boardgames, it's also huge for tabletop gaming as well, because there are so many great terrain options out there and the number of companies that make them keep growing.

Old May 9th, 2017, 08:40 PM
"like" happy

All these thoughts are what was blowing my mind the other day. They could be relayed to heroscape without changing any of the cards or figures and add so much more to the game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions