Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think that the Strategic Maneuvers should be a part of the books, or that they should have th
In the Books 164 45.81%
Like they are 194 54.19%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Strategic Maneuvers/Tips and Tricks Index

I'm almost positive the opportunity will arise with the release of this next wave for some more creative maneuvers to pull.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

With so many army options, I'm having trouble even wrapping my head around how to start choosing an army for GenCon. Does anyone have any tips? I guess what I'm asking is if there is already an article about how to balance out ranged vs. melee. Or a recommendation against just choosing a squad you like and instead using these next few months to really wring the strategy out of a unit.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

There are successful armies of all stripes. Decide the type of army you like to play are are effective playing. What sorts of armies do you tend to feel comfortable making decisions with? What armies do you think you can play most closely to mistake-free with? Which armies are you confident with?

Once you've decided on the type of army you like to play, focus on that subset, and focus on building a sick 510 point army that fits that style. If you can, play a lot of practice games with the top few armies you're considering, on the actual maps.

Don't bother reading my 2010 Main Event Army thread. It doesn't matter what I think the good armies are. What matters is what you can win with.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey all, if you haven't noticed, this thread is getting kind of old. My project for the day, since all the housework is done and the family out of town, is to work on updating this. Anyone and everyone is welcome to help. If you have ideas for new content, PM me. If you see revisions that need to be made in the individual threads, please mention those in the threads.

Thanks everybody

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Hey all, if you haven't noticed, this thread is getting kind of old. My project for the day, since all the housework is done and the family out of town, is to work on updating this. Anyone and everyone is welcome to help. If you have ideas for new content, PM me. If you see revisions that need to be made in the individual threads, please mention those in the threads.

Thanks everybody
Check my sig, Much has been done that can be added here. Much like 1Mmrig's Ref thread it is always useful to have things cross referenced.

Also what is your goal? 1Mmrig seems to want to create a inventory of everything on this site worth inventorying, Rev has the units officially covered in the books, as well is the keeper of lists, My library focus's on general strategy, Theoryscaping, mathmatics and the Metagame.

It seems that this is about In game strategy that utilizes specific units and powers in conjuntion with each other. That is a fairly specific niche that runs fairly close to the Books themselfs. I Like the idea of focusing on common tactics based on similar powers like the "fish in a barrel". There are lots of explosion attacker so it makes sense. Some other strategies that might be worth fleshing out:

-Threat Figure and board control: using auto kill
-Threat figures and distraction: runa and minons are a classic example.
-Speed surprise attack: Oninosih and tricky speed/leaf of home tree.
-How to use a screen: Deathreavers, divider etc.
-Claiming and holding Glyphs: sentinals, EOV etc.
-Setting up traps: Getting your oppoant to move into boxs where the Hound plauge, engagement strike, cyberclaw, cowards reward, etc come into play.

I'm sure there are lots more examples of tactics that can be employed by lots of different figures, but are general enough that they can be implimented by anyone. I would also rename the strategy to reflect the specail powers being used. Using "gambit", including specific units name, or puns in the name of the stratagy may be clever but for a new user may be confusing.

Not to brag, but I would also refer to the phase of the game the stratgy works best in: opening, middle or endgame (see my posts on the topic). You could go further and include which of Jexik's catagories the units fall into: bread and butter, defender, shark, clean up, etc. This will give additional value to the strategy since you may beable to exchange sharks as writen (Krug for a Warhulk for example).

I realize what I have presented her is alot of work but it would be a very good project. If you need help send me a PM.

Bonne Chance

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Last edited by wriggz; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Some notes:
I would modify your list a little to match the intent I think you are going for.

Power/Ablity Strategic Maneuvers:
• Bluffing (is good, could use ref to best phase to exicute, and units it works with)
• Facing (needs expanding)
• Fight for Your Life (needs expanding, which units, which phase)
• Leashing (Excellent)
• Taking on Marvelscape (good)
• To Disengage? Or Not? (Excellent)

I would add to this list (but add referce to unit types and phases):
• Batter Up! - Figure that can move enemy figures, Engagement Strike or
Ice Spikes
• Cannon Fodder - Explosion attack, Low cost high maneuverability figures
• Fish in a Barrel - Explosion attack, Durable figure
• Healing Combatant - Tandros Kreel, Healer

I would expand on these:
• Elven YoYo - Ulginesh, Emirroon, Elf wizard (needs some expansion with other options)
• Johnny's Gambit - Cyprien Esenwein, Iskra Esenwein, Ornak, Rechets of Bogdan (Make an Assissan stratgy)
• Marro Siege - Marro Hive, many common Marro squads (This could be included with Healing as regenration)
• Operation Romana - Airborne Elite, Marcus Decimus Gallus (Expand as a surprise attack artical)
• Rechet Gambit - Brunak, Iskra Cyprien, Ornak, Rechets of Bogdan (Again assissan)
• Swog Spearhead - Arrow Gruts, Swog Riders (Example of Surprise attack I guess)
• Wolf Creek Crossing - Venoc Vipers, Wolves of Badru (Surprise move?)
• Pin and Pound - Tandros Kreel, heavy hitting squad or multi-attack hero (perhaps a distraction stratagy or protector? this is a little to unit specific I think)

These don't seem to match the spirit of this list, but are really good anyway.
Metagame Strategy:
• Pre-Game Evaluation (Genreal info
• In-Game Point Value (General info)
• Order Markers (UPC) (Genreal info)
• What's in an Order Marker? (Part One)
• What's in an Order Marker? (Part Two)

I would keep your list of which figure matches which strategy. There is lots of potential here.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Edit: On second thought this probably isn't a very good suggestion.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is great! I love this thread! I'll hopefully be winning more games nowadays.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Looking East knows what's in an order marker Looking East knows what's in an order marker

This is a neat article. It was fun to read the rather creative names and the figures involved and to guess what the trick was.

I can think of a couple of tricks our own little group has that we have affectionately nick named in a similiar fashion.

For instance we recently dubbed the combo where you fry one of your own rats or even a green scale with Molten Claws special in order to hit distant units of high value "The Burning Man" If you have him in the army, the Golem is great for this.

Although we don't have a name for it yet, another new trick I am fond of is using the rats as a way to launch the horned skull brutes into battle. It basically turns the dragnet of rats into a giant spider web and the brutes into the spiders. The scattering rats stick to incoming enemies like glue and then the Brutes come charging in from up to 8 spaces away and stomp whatever has stepped into the web. The Krav serve as the trap's bait.

Last edited by Looking East; November 24th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 01:18 AM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

Ask for advice before playing professionals.

Last edited by Heroscaper 101; July 1st, 2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:48 AM

Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby! Heroscaper 101 rolls all skulls baby!

Read the army card thoroughly before picking.

Last edited by Heroscaper 101; July 1st, 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 30th, 2018, 03:51 PM

There is a lot of strategy to think when it comes to Heroscape.

Last edited by Heroscaper 101; July 1st, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles