Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old November 4th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: Casters of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Knights > Heavies > Marro Stingers > Greenscales > Dwarves > Romans > Deathchasers > Nagrubs > Blades > Sacred Band > Gladiators > MacDirks > Spiders > Armocs > Death Knights > Wolves of Badru > Groks

I can't be the only one that disagrees with this can I? Stingers are so bad against bonding melee. It's not even close.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; November 5th, 2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: There's no way Cody is serious right?
Old November 4th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I wouldn't put them that high.

They can be dominant in my local meta, but that's because we tend not to run swarming knights, bonding dwarves, etc.

I heard your take on them, Matthias. I wouldn't go as far as you did, but I'd slide them on Cleon's scale down below Deathchasers. I figure they match up favorably against Nagrub armies, because the Stingers are hero killers. I'd also slide Gladiators up, so that they were (just) above Stingers, and below DCs, Matthias, essentially for the reason you gave on the podcast. With Spartacus, they're good enough. And with Crixus, too, they are a very effective bonding melee squad.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:20 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Sting It For The Boys, Sting It For The Girls

I mean straight stingers or stingers with a screen or stingers with the hive? Because I'd put each of those in a different spot on that list.

~Dysole, who admittedly hasn't gotten around to hearing this latest one
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: Sting It For The Boys, Sting It For The Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
I mean straight stingers or stingers with a screen or stingers with the hive? Because I'd put each of those in a different spot on that list.

In all honesty I don’t think it matters much...
I even beat them with Death knights at the last TTO. Unless you’re on some ridiculous hilly map that is hard core anti melee I just don’t see it.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; November 5th, 2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Stingers are horribad
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

MM meta is a little different than most of us.
Old November 4th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I meant that’s where they are among the bonding-melee relative to the entire game. In an all bonding-melee meta where you can only play bonding-melee, and also Stingers, they might be lower. But I honestly don’t think they’re that much lower.

Stingers are amazing.
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:

It was my sense in the podcast and here that the query involves (1) an optimized army, whatever that means to the player involved, and (2) all other things being equal, by which I mean a map that isn't imbalanced.

= =
Old November 5th, 2019, 10:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:

It was my sense in the podcast and here that the query involves (1) an optimized army, whatever that means to the player involved, and (2) all other things being equal, by which I mean a map that isn't imbalanced.
Yeah, we're specifically talking about optimized armies at this point. At 400 points and 16 figures, 5x Stingers, Raelin, Marcu is an example of that; at 20 figures, 4x Stingers, 2x Rats, Raelin is.
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:06 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Optimized Prime

I'll listen to it soon and see Matthias' argument, but based on my estimate, I'm probably closer to Cleon's viewpoint than his, although I'm not sure precisely where I'd put them. Range and Raelin (and rats) is good yo.

~Dysole, noting that she finds Stingers less fun than other units because she finds their decision points relatively straightforward
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Re: Optimized Prime

Quote:
~Dysole, noting that she finds Stingers less fun than other units because she finds their decision points relatively straightforward
Well, the discussion is about min-maxing. We can all agree that the 4th Mass. is a pretty boring army to play, because of the flow chart, and Stingers are not that much different. But the query is not about what's fun, but about what's optimized.

= =
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:11 PM

Tangential Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Well, the discussion is about min-maxing. We can all agree that the 4th Mass. is a pretty boring army to play, because of the flow chart, and Stingers are not that much different. But the query is not about what's fun, but about what's optimized.
I'm well aware. I just trail off onto semi-related tangents as per my particular idiom. It also means I play less with Stingers than other units, so I don't have as clearly formed of an idea as others might since I have to stretch farther back for other games. But then again my trains of thought aren't always easy for even me to follow.

~Dysole, lackadaisically
Old November 8th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I was thinking we were talking all Stingers, or Stingers + a hero. Maybe Raelin, but I remember when Raelin was thrown in the discussion changed a bit so I think we were initially assuming without her. I personally wasn’t thinking Stingers + Rats, I think that’s a different army. But all are good imo. I like running each of those.

Also I wasn’t vocal in the cast when we briefly mentioned Draining. I actually don’t think I’m in the never-Drain camp anymore, or very-rarely-Drain camp, which is almost one and the same. I’ve done a little bit of experimenting with Draining frequently and it’s really interesting, it’s kind of like you build up tension on the sacrifice turns and strike back hard enough later to make up for it and often get more out of it. Like, you sacrifice position, give it to your opponent, and then destroy their position harder so it’s a net win. At least that’s how it’s felt in the few games I’ve consciously been testing it. Still need to play with it much more but I think Draining is worth looking into. Obviously there are times when you really shouldn’t and really should, but there’s quite a lot of grey area in between that’s up for consideration which usually gets dismissed. Raelin does help too.

I think I don’t put the Stingers with 4th Mass/Q9 in the too straightforward and boring category because of Draining...but never/rarely-Drain Stingers probably fall into that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion