Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Native Americans

You make a good point, Roman. Those names sound a lot more "mock historical" - which fits what Hasbro did with guys like Marcus Decimus and Parmenio ...
But, then again, there was Sparticus, who went the other direction ...

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation

Well, Marcus Decimus and Parmenio were actually real historical figures, too.

Last edited by Junge Roman; June 22nd, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Sphere knows what's in an order marker Sphere knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junge Roman View Post
They could very well be called Apache Warriors, and they could have a hero named Geronimo. What are the real Apache's going to do about it, anyway?
I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounds. Doing the right thing isn't simply a matter of calculating the response you're likely to face. (Although, sadly, I'm sure that WotC has a legal department charged with doing precisely that.)

I don't feel it would be inappropriate to include Geronimo (or Cochise or Mangas Coloradas) in a game, but it would make more sense in a historical game or simulation. HeroScape is fantasy, and fantastic characters suit it best.
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It will be interesting to see what they come out with for sure - Heroscape's "cartoonized" way of producing stock genre characters certainly lends itself toward producing the type of characters that could come off as racial caricatures. And I'm sure none of us really want that happening.
This will really be the first time where there's been the type of unit where this type of thing really *could* happen, IMO, so it'll be interesting to see how they play it. Hopefully they'll show what classy people they are.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Removed.

Last edited by Junge Roman; June 22nd, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM

JANDAR88 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
Quote:
They could very well be called Apache Warriors, and they could have a hero named Geronimo. What are the real Apache's going to do about it, anyway?
I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounds. Doing the right thing isn't simply a matter of calculating the response you're likely to face. (Although, sadly, I'm sure that WotC has a legal department charged with doing precisely that.)

I don't feel it would be inappropriate to include Geronimo (or Cochise or Mangas Coloradas) in a game, but it would make more sense in a historical game or simulation. HeroScape is fantasy, and fantastic characters suit it best.
No, it was tinged with sarcasm. I have a lot of sympathy and a little sadness over what took place in the past regarding the founding and expansion of our nation. If you review my previous posts, you will see that I have argued or at least implied on the other side of my last statement. However, if you look at the history of our pop culture, many would not see an issue. If you really think about it, though, immortalizing historical characters in a game, even with a fantasy twist, is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think the Sgt. Drakes of the world would have minded.
I have said this before, but I will say it again. If I belonged to a native american tribe I would more than likely feal honored, not offended, to be included in a game that features romans, greeks, samurai...

As long as the card and figure did not mock or insult, I think it would be o.k.

(especially since we already have cowboys)

BLACKMOON'S SIEGE
Heroscape Wave 9 / Coming in July of 2009
(Everyone do this)
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Okay, I'm now saying that we may actually get an Aquilla Kyrie Squad in the "Brave" pack instead of an actual native American squad.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM

MechaBeast is surprisingly tart

The Braves will be a 3 man hero package similar to the lawmen and those heroes will be:

And finally

You heard it here first.

...and then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them all onto a boat and then he beat the crap out every single one.

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think WOTC could call them Apaches, or Cherokes, or Pawnee , or whatever. As long as their done in good taste, I really couldn't see where the tribe in question would or could be offended. I think, however, they will be called something a little more generic.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Think about Street Fighter and T.Hawk of the ThunderHawk tribe or some such...from the borderlandswith Mexico.

I think a generic approach is what's coming.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Although I know it said 'braves' referring to Northern American Indians, I would've loved to see some Aztecs with some sort of bloodlust. As it is, I'm hoping for An indian chief in the hero pack, and a common pack of 4 indian braves that have decent stats, and can be feared on the battlefield.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion