Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Yeah, I see where you guys are coming from and I agree that it's not something that should be applied on a large scale to most customs. But for guys like the Mandarin, it didn't make sense to me to only have some of his rings and not others, yet having unlimited access to all ten just sounded crazy, too.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I would agree that it sounds useful for a guy like Mandarin. Equipment cards also come in handy for these types of things with a limit on the card for how many powers you can use at once.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
So can your equipment cards be used by anyone or can they be restricted to only one figure?
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl
Yeah, I see where you guys are coming from and I agree that it's not something that should be applied on a large scale to most customs. But for guys like the Mandarin, it didn't make sense to me to only have some of his rings and not others, yet having unlimited access to all ten just sounded crazy, too.
Even then, the 10 rings aren't all that necessary to state individually. At least half of them are various forms of ranged attacks and are pretty well summed up by the Range/Attack stat. People tend to forget that normal attacks are often just as super and shiny as the Special ones. Iron Man doesn't need a "Repulsar Blast Special Attack" to fire a beam out of each hand when he attacks.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
So can your equipment cards be used by anyone or can they be restricted to only one figure?
I usually have them restricted to one figure - the only ones I've really done it for so far are Green Lanterns, though.
That said, the Kryptonite cards (which need some reworking) are available for anyone to use.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

So if they're restricted to just one figure (usually) then I think we're essentially talking about the same thing. I'm just using tokens to keep track of the limited number of uses.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Yep, pretty much sounds like it. I think it's a lot easier to have the equipment card built into the cost of the original card. I'm trying not to have too many like that, though.
Oh, forgot, Lex Luthor also has an add on Battlesuit, that actually costs more than he does.

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Even then, the 10 rings aren't all that necessary to state individually. At least half of them are various forms of ranged attacks and are pretty well summed up by the Range/Attack stat. People tend to forget that normal attacks are often just as super and shiny as the Special ones. Iron Man doesn't need a "Repulsar Blast Special Attack" to fire a beam out of each hand when he attacks.
If you're just looking at the range and attack value, then you're correct. But there are some figures that are resistant to fire, ice, explosive attacks, etc. where the different options might make a difference.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
If you're just looking at the range and attack value, then you're correct. But there are some figures that are resistant to fire, ice, explosive attacks, etc. where the different options might make a difference.
Heroscape generally doesn't have any sort of elemental system like this. Every once in a while a custom comes along that avoids "attacks that imply fire damage", but I'd never consider them a well worded ability for the game. The name of a special ability is just for flavor and should never be used to alter damage types or otherwise imply how the power works. The only thing that should limit abilities are the clear, database driven qualifiers (race, height, size, class, unique/common, hero/squad, personality, general and maybe someday homeworld).
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
I think it's a lot easier to have the equipment card built into the cost of the original card.
That's the conclusion I came to as well. No cost for the extra card, and just include the cost for the main figure.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Heroscape generally doesn't have any sort of elemental system like this. Every once in a while a custom comes along that avoids "attacks that imply fire damage", but I'd never consider them a well worded ability for the game. The name of a special ability is just for flavor and should never be used to alter damage types or otherwise imply how the power works. The only thing that should limit abilities are the clear, database driven qualifiers (race, height, size, class, unique/common, hero/squad, personality, general and maybe someday homeworld).
True. HS includes elemental effects only through the terrain, like the Lava Resistant and Slither abilities. But sometimes this leads to seeming innaccuracies, even though I know the designers probably did it intentionally to keep the game simple. Things like how Obsidian Guards aren't harmed by lava, but they are by Mimring's fire breath. If these can be addressed in customs to make the characters more "accurate" without disrupting game play and making it too complex, I don't see an issue with it. Not that it should always be done. For example, I made my Human Torch custom resistant to flame attacks, but I did no such equivalent for Iceman being resistant to ice attacks. It just depends how much it would complicate the figure and what benefit you would derive from it. This is very similar to how Toxic Skin doesn't affect Soulborgs (even though that is based on species, as you pointed out).

For the special attacks, like the Mandarin's rings, I think there's more than just range and attack value to differentiate them, even without introducing the elemental effects. Things like how many figures are affected, whether line of sight is necessary, does it affect friendly figures or not, does it affect the figure using it or not, etc.
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
regurgitation cynic

Quote:
True. HS includes elemental effects only through the terrain, like the Lava Resistant and Slither abilities. But sometimes this leads to seeming innaccuracies, even though I know the designers probably did it intentionally to keep the game simple. Things like how Obsidian Guards aren't harmed by lava, but they are by Mimring's fire breath. If these can be addressed in customs to make the characters more "accurate" without disrupting game play and making it too complex, I don't see an issue with it. Not that it should always be done. For example, I made my Human Torch custom resistant to flame attacks, but I did no such equivalent for Iceman being resistant to ice attacks. It just depends how much it would complicate the figure and what benefit you would derive from it. This is very similar to how Toxic Skin doesn't affect Soulborgs (even though that is based on species, as you pointed out).

For the special attacks, like the Mandarin's rings, I think there's more than just range and attack value to differentiate them, even without introducing the elemental effects. Things like how many figures are affected, whether line of sight is necessary, does it affect friendly figures or not, does it affect the figure using it or not, etc.
But that's my entire point. You can give him 10 different special attacks if you wish, all slightly different in function and ability, but you're probably not going to get a ton of use out of all 10 of them. It's far better to use one or two character defining abilities and then lump the remaining abilities into a more general power that embodies the nature of the character.

Its just a matter of proper game design. If you give too much, you're either going to wind up with a character that is too powerful or a character with a lot of unnecessary abilities. Considering the average unit only takes about a 6-10 turns over the course of a game, the likelyhood of making adequate use of more than 3 to 5 abilities is pretty slim, especially if they are all variant special attacks. More importantly, the character just won't play consistently and develop the proper personality in battle, which is critical for giving them the proper feel.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations