Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old March 3rd, 2020, 11:27 PM

Owlman knows what's in an order marker Owlman knows what's in an order marker Owlman knows what's in an order marker
Re: [AotV] Pre-Brainstorming Thread

Had a cool idea for Chandra I thought I'd throw out:

What if instead of giving her an attack of 4 in 3 hexes and 2 directions (which seems awfully powerful) you give her the ability to either A) target 3 hexes in a straight line and get 4 attack, or split her attack to 2 when she uses two 3 hex lines for her special? (Maybe drop her to 105-110?)

Like this:

TWIN FLAMETHROWERS SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 2 or 4.

Choose one or two straight lines from Pyria, each 3 spaces long. All figures on those spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Pyria’s Twin Flamethrower Special Attack. If you choose 1 straight line from Pyria, roll 4 attack dice for this attack. If you choose 2 straight lines away from Pyria, roll 2 attack dice for this attack. Affected figures roll defense dice separately."

"Man, some people on the internet would complain about a chocolate sundae delivered to them by a Victoria's Secret model on their paid day off from work"
Old March 13th, 2020, 09:07 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I really like that twist on Pyria, actually.

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:29 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun Pumpkin_King is a penguin with a machine gun

Gives a little more flexibility. Is it worth bringing to her thread?
Old March 15th, 2020, 12:45 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I’d suggest doing a quick game with that change before really trying it out. Weakening her SA is a big jump, and honestly she hasnt felt OP in my tests.

(Its also worth noting that she’s already quite fun.)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old March 15th, 2020, 02:15 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I haven't done any designing of testing on Pyria, I just think it's a clever idea.

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:57 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Hexes

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't know if I'm in the right thread, and maybe this has already been suggested elsewhere (I haven't been able to follow this project as closely as I'd like), but if you're thinking about design ideas for the eldrazi scions, I think it would be way cool to have them work with the mind flayers somehow. They seem to fit that theme well and could do some really cool things with the mind flayers.

Keep up the great work guys!

My Map Thread
Maps for Online HS
My Customs

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
Old April 30th, 2020, 08:12 AM

Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker

What kind of synergy did you have in mind, Flash?

I had another idea for the Scions that, while super weird, could also end up being really fun...

Quote:
Voidspawn Parasites (Eldrazi Scions)

1 Life / 5 move / 1 Range / 1 Attack / 4 Defense

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS
Hero figures roll +1 Attack and Defense dice for each adjacent Voidspawn Parasite.

CLINGING EMBRACE
After moving normally with a hero figure you control, if that hero was adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites at the start of its turn, you may place each of those Voidspawn Parasites on an empty space adjacent to that hero. If a Voidspawn Parasite was engaged when using Clinging Embrace, it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

PARASITIC HUNGER
At the end of each round, destroy each Voidspawn Parasite that is not adjacent to a hero. Then, roll the d20 for each hero adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites. If you roll a 20 or higher, that hero receives a wound. Add 5 to your roll for each Voidspawn Parasite adjacent to that hero.
An alternate version of Parasitic Hunger could be, "at the end of each round, destroy each Voidspawn Parasite that is not adjacent to a hero. Then roll the d20 once for each Voidspawn Parasite you control. If you roll a 15 or higher, deal 1 wound to each hero figure adjacent to that Voidspawn Parasite."

It could also be interesting to make Clinging Embrace mandatory to use if possible...

As written, I'm a little worried that these guys could be overpowered in the right army builds, although Parasitic Hunger is quite the drawback. If necessary, Parasitic Hunger could be modified to only affect friendly heroes to further rein in their power level. Thematically though I love the idea of these guys as alien parasites from another dimension who can psychically increase the strength of their host in exchange for draining their life-force... I can share more thoughts after I get out of work today, but just wanted to throw this out there.
Old April 30th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Hexes

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
What kind of synergy did you have in mind, Flash?

I had another idea for the Scions that, while super weird, could also end up being really fun...

Quote:

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS
Hero figures roll +1 Attack and Defense dice for each adjacent Voidspawn Parasite.

CLINGING EMBRACE
After moving normally with a hero figure you control, if that hero was adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites at the start of its turn, you may place each of those Voidspawn Parasites on an empty space adjacent to that hero. If a Voidspawn Parasite was engaged when using Clinging Embrace, it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

PARASITIC HUNGER
At the end of each round, destroy each Voidspawn Parasite that is not adjacent to a hero. Then, roll the d20 for each hero adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites. If you roll a 20 or higher, that hero receives a wound. Add 5 to your roll for each Voidspawn Parasite adjacent to that hero.
An alternate version of Parasitic Hunger could be, "at the end of each round, destroy each Voidspawn Parasite that is not adjacent to a hero. Then roll the d20 once for each Voidspawn Parasite you control. If you roll a 15 or higher, deal 1 wound to each hero figure adjacent to that Voidspawn Parasite."

It could also be interesting to make Clinging Embrace mandatory to use if possible...

As written, I'm a little worried that these guys could be overpowered in the right army builds, although Parasitic Hunger is quite the drawback. If necessary, Parasitic Hunger could be modified to only affect friendly heroes to further rein in their power level. Thematically though I love the idea of these guys as alien parasites from another dimension who can psychically increase the strength of their host in exchange for draining their life-force... I can share more thoughts after I get out of work today, but just wanted to throw this out there.
Those are some cool ideas for sure!

My initial thoughts (very unpolished by the way) might include some of the following:

Bonding with a Mindflayer (though I can understand potential arguments against that - including making the set feel like it's incomplete without a mindflayer, which may go against one of the main reasons for the project)

Enhancing the likelihood of Enslave rolls if they are engaged with a figure that is being "Enslaved" (once again, could be an issue if it feels like it reduces the need for Cxurg'gyath or increases the power too much.)

Or you just might give them Enslave with the stipulation that they die after using it. Something like "At the end of your turn if a Scion you control inflicted a wound on a unique hero, you make take a turn with that hero. After taking that turn, destroy one Scion you control."

I dunno. There are some very unpolished ideas. Take them for what they're worth.

My Map Thread
Maps for Online HS
My Customs

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
Old May 2nd, 2020, 01:10 PM

Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm against having the Scions tied to Mindflayers specifically. It would be a fun boost to units that don't get much playtime outside of scenarios, but we have no Mindflayers in this set.

The most that I could see is a general Enslave booster if we end up changing Tetsuo to use normal Enslave, but it kind of feels like a missed opportunity to have the big purple creatures only synergize with the Neuromancer instead of the giant baddie for the set.

Quote:

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS

CLINGING EMBRACE

PARASITIC HUNGER
This is a very fun idea, albeit with some issues. A flat +3/+3 to any hero, even with Parasitic Hunger, would be bonkers in too many situations to be feasible (Charos with 9L, 8A, 8D and Counterstrike, for example). The Scions can also act as a pseudo-screen, given that their 4D is decent on its own. With some tweaks, I think that this idea would be much more feasible:

Quote:

1 Life / 2 move / 1 Range / 0 Attack / 4 Defense

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS
All Hero figures adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites roll 1 additional attack die and 1 additional defense die.

CLINGING EMBRACE

PARASITIC HUNGER
When a Hero figure ends its turn adjacent to a Voidspawn Parasite, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-7, that hero receives a wound.
Limiting them to one per hero helps to encourage hero-heavy builds and limit cases like Tor-Kul-Na getting up to 8D while being able to heal the self-wounds from Nagrubs. It's also more fun to play with in a set of mostly standalone uniques like we have here.

Similarly, I think that simplifying the Parasitic Hunger roll helps keep the card understandable (and flipping it so that bad rolls hurt makes sense and lets glyphs like Lodin find more use). Tying it to after turns instead of at the end of the round is more of a tradeoff (it really helps cheerleaders like Raelin, but it makes them riskier to use overall).

The self-destruction is fun thematically, but the card itself is already fairly complex (plus, you can symbolize their dependence on other life with a super low move and attack, as seen above).
Old May 2nd, 2020, 01:32 PM

Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker Captain Stupendous knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post

This is a very fun idea, albeit with some issues. A flat +3/+3 to any hero, even with Parasitic Hunger, would be bonkers in too many situations to be feasible (Charos with 9L, 8A, 8D and Counterstrike, for example). The Scions can also act as a pseudo-screen, given that their 4D is decent on its own. With some tweaks, I think that this idea would be much more feasible:

Quote:

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS
All Hero figures adjacent to one or more Voidspawn Parasites roll 1 additional attack die and 1 additional defense die.

CLINGING EMBRACE

PARASITIC HUNGER
When a Hero figure ends its turn adjacent to a Voidspawn Parasite, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-7, that hero receives a wound.
Limiting them to one per hero helps to encourage hero-heavy builds and limit cases like Tor-Kul-Na getting up to 8D while being able to heal the self-wounds from Nagrubs. It's also more fun to play with in a set of mostly standalone uniques like we have here.

Similarly, I think that simplifying the Parasitic Hunger roll helps keep the card understandable (and flipping it so that bad rolls hurt makes sense and lets glyphs like Lodin find more use). Tying it to after turns instead of at the end of the round is more of a tradeoff (it really helps cheerleaders like Raelin, but it makes them riskier to use overall).

The self-destruction is fun thematically, but the card itself is already fairly complex (plus, you can symbolize their dependence on other life with a super low move and attack, as seen above).

As I've thought about these guys more, I definitely agree that stacking the buff would be too strong in certain builds. Syvarris says hi lol. I actually suggested reworking Psycho-Symbiosis to be exactly what you arrived at here in the discord last night!

Regarding the suggestion to have the wound trigger at the end of a turn instead of a round, I think that could work. I do fear that it would encourage them to be used too much with cheerleaders, but we could get a feel for that in playtesting.

In the discord Necroblade raised some thematic concerns regarding the size of the Parasites and their Clinging Embrace power, specifically whether small or medium heroes would realistically be able to drag these things along when the parasites themselves are fairly large. I think its a valid concern that could be addressed a few ways. The most obvious option would be to make Clinging Embrace only work with large or huge heroes. If this weren't part of a master set I think that would be a good solution, but I'm hesitant create a unit that will only work with Ozuul.

Another (potentially too wonky) way to explain how Clinging Embrace works could be to lean into the Voidspawn lore... Ozuul already can manipulate gravity, so maybe along those lines this species (assuming the Parasites and Ozuul are from the same planet) is affected by gravity differently and they are actually fairly light relative to their size?

Another option could be to replace Clinging Embrace with a bonding type power.
Something like:

PSYCHIC BONDING
Before taking a turn with Voidspawn Parasites, you may first take a turn with any hero you control that is adjacent to at least one Voidspawn Parasite you control.

Obviously that would change the unit pretty significantly, although I'm not sure that they would be too much more powerful overall?

It would be better in the sense that this would give you a little bit of order marker flexibility, although most of the time you probably wouldn't want to have these guys next to too many different heroes (although this is only really true if the wound happens at the end of round).

But it would also mean that a hero couldn't take advantage of the attack boost if they moved that turn.

Another advantage this version would have is the ability to attack with the hero and the parasites with one order marker, but with such a weak attack value I don't think most of the time thats gonna count for much

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; May 2nd, 2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 03:31 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Load your flak cannons now boys...

Over in the discord, I casually tossed out an idea to give at least 1 unit in the box Sand Strength: +1 attack and defense while sitting on a sand space.

It caused a lot of flak, with several folks saying they weren’t in favor of it mainly because terrain based powers historically suck. I dig that. I really do.

But I’d like to throw out an example of where it might be reasonable without being sucky, nor the core of the design but a thematic augmentation of it.

I present:

Rhinos of the Endless Desert

Jandar/Statues/Unique Squad/Dauntless/Medium 6

1 Life/3 Troops/4 Move/1 Range/2 Attack/4 Defense

Living Statues: If there are no revealed order markers on this Army Card, add 2 to the defense of this Army Card. If there are revealed order markers on this Army Card, add 1 to the move of this Army Card for every revealed Order Marker.

Desert Strength: Rhinos of the Endless Desert on a Sand space roll 1 additional combat die when attacking or defending.

70 points

The idea is that the Rhinos are squarely in the defender role, charging into battle to engage intruders and being from the desert itself, they’ve mastered fighting in it. After they have reached a comfortable position in battle, they know how to hunker down and use their stony bodies to their advantage. They’ll lose this bonus once they start moving, but once they do they go surprisingly fast. The stats can naturally be tweaked, but the idea is there.

I also argue that a sand terrain power fits because its very simple to implement, it offers another power direction we can give to the Master Set which is something that will help sell the box to new ‘scapers, it introduces the concept of the power to new players, and sand is pretty common on competitive maps anyway so its not like the power won’t *ever* get used. We don’t have to give the Angel statue the power, either. Carr didn’t get Stealth Dodge after all.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; May 2nd, 2020 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Time to take cover!
Old May 2nd, 2020, 04:15 PM

Re: Load your flak cannons now boys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post

PSYCHO-SYMBIOSIS

CLINGING EMBRACE

PARASITIC HUNGER
Personally I think even a flat +1/+1 to any Hero could be more problematic than it's worth. Synergies are typically tied to one or more attributes like Species, Class, or Personality to make it easier not to accidentally break them.

I also think Clinging Embrace is a terrible name, or at least it could lean on the Voidspawn lore more, like Gravity Drag or something. That would also help explain why even small and medium heroes can "carry" them (they're not so small themselves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
In the discord Necroblade raised some thematic concerns regarding the size of the Parasites and their Clinging Embrace power, specifically whether small or medium heroes would realistically be able to drag these things along when the parasites themselves are fairly large. I think its a valid concern that could be addressed a few ways. The most obvious option would be to make Clinging Embrace only work with large or huge heroes. If this weren't part of a master set I think that would be a good solution, but I'm hesitant create a unit that will only work with Ozuul.

-snip-

Another option could be to replace Clinging Embrace with a bonding type power.
Something like:

PSYCHIC BONDING
Before taking a turn with Voidspawn Parasites, you may first take a turn with any hero you control that is adjacent to at least one Voidspawn Parasite you control.
As far as large/huge, you could let any figure drag them, even though they only give their bonus to heroes. Then the Ukashisa can have mild synergy with them, too.

Psychic Bonding is a terrible idea, IMO, for the same reason as above: blanket synergy tends to get out of control. See: Raelin (who, btw, would be even more gooder than she already is with either of those powers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Over in the discord, I casually tossed out an idea to give at least 1 unit in the box Sand Strength: +1 attack and defense while sitting on a sand space.

It caused a lot of flak, with several folks saying they weren’t in favor of it mainly because terrain based powers historically suck. I dig that. I really do.

But I’d like to throw out an example of where it might be reasonable without being sucky, nor the core of the design but a thematic augmentation of it.

I present:

Rhinos of the Endless Desert

Jandar/Statues/Unique Squad/Dauntless/Medium 6

1 Life/3 Troops/4 Move/1 Range/2 Attack/4 Defense

Living Statues: If there are no unrevealed order markers on this Army Card, add 2 to the defense of this Army Card. If there are revealed order markers on this Army Card, add 1 to the move of this Army Card for every revealed Order Marker.

Desert Strength: Rhinos of the Endless Desert on a Sand space roll 1 additional combat die when attacking or defending.

70 points

The idea is that the Rhinos are squarely in the defender role, charging into battle to engage intruders and being from the desert itself, they’ve mastered fighting in it. After they have reached a comfortable position in battle, they know how to hunker down and use their stony bodies to their advantage. They’ll lose this bonus once they start moving, but once they do they go surprisingly fast. The stats can naturally be tweaked, but the idea is there.

I also argue that a sand terrain power fits because its very simple to implement, it offers another power direction we can give to the Master Set which is something that will help sell the box to new ‘scapers, it introduces the concept of the power to new players, and sand is pretty common on competitive maps anyway so its not like the power won’t *ever* get used. We don’t have to give the Angel statue the power, either. Carr didn’t get Stealth Dodge after all.
I can agree with the sentiment that terrain based powers are reasonable as something "new players should learn" and thus Master-Set worthy. I don't like using sand, though. The other Master Set examples (Swamp Water Strength and Hide in Darkness) used the terrain that was new to those sets (and yes, if you want to stretch, Water Clone, but all terrain was new then ). I would prefer to use the "weird" spaces. Whether or not we come up with rules for that terrain on its own (or just scenario-based), it helps the unit feel more special and connected to Arena of the Valkyrie.

As for Living Statues, that first line is actually pretty close to what I suggested for such a power. And the intent was to have it work in such a way that the Avacyn unit could have the same power, and they both powers would be "active" if you drafted them together. But then, let's bring that up in the Pod that's starting soon.

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs