Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
A Comprehensive List of Common Competitive Abbreviations

Recently, a new poster remarked in general, "RTTFF? What does that mean?" And it occurred to me that here on 'scapers, there are a lot of acronyms, abbreviations, and plain old weird inside jokes that get tossed around with impunity. Although I enjoy the culture that these terms are a part of, and I perpetuate them myself, even adding further terms for specific armies, I've decided that it would probably be a good idea to get a consolidated list of all the terms used to discuss armies, at least on this subforum.

Considering that we'll have a bunch of new units (and new players) thanks to the upcoming D&D releases, I figure that this is a great time to start such a list.

My goal is to make something similar to, but more up-to-date and relevant to competitive armies than this thread.

Terrain Expansion Name Acronyms (useful for knowing what's required in tournament maps)

RotV, MS1, RV (less frequent)- Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set. "1st edition" has Sparkly water and 10 red attack dice with 10 blue defense dice. 2nd edition sets have 12 white dice that do both, and no sparkly water.

SotM, SM (less common) MS2- Swarm of the Marro Master Set. The rulebook is sometimes considered "3rd edition" compared to the first two RotV's.

BtfU, D&D MS, DD, MS3- Battle for the Underdark D&D Master Set. I guess you might call the new rulebook the 4th edition one.

MCB, Marvel- Marvel the Conflict Begins
RttFF, FF (less frequently), trees and bridge- Road to the Forgotten Forest
VW, lava- Volcarren Wasteland
FotA, FA, Castle, Tower pack- Fortress of the Archkyrie
TT, snow- Thaelenk Tundra
TJ, Ticalla, Jungle- Ticalla Jungle

Unit Acronyms and Abbreviations, by Wave

Rise of the Valkyrie [RotV]

AE- Airborne Elite
Carr- Agent Carr
Syv- Syvarris
DW9K- Deathwalker 9000
KMA- Krav Maga Agents
Bacon- Raelin (also, 99% of the time that someone says "Raelin," they're talking about this one, not the SotM one)
MW- Marro Warriors
Old Drake, RotV Drake- Sgt. Drake Alexander
TVW- Tarn Viking Warriors
NGS- Ne-Gok-Sa
Izumi's- Izumi Samurai

Maliddon's Prophecy (Wave 1)

AG's- Arrow Gruts
Blades, BG's- Blade Gruts
Romans, Legos- Roman Legionnaires [Romans almost never refers to the Archers, who are probably worst ranged common in the game]
MDG, Marcus- Marcus Decimus Gallus
Omnicrons- Omnicron Snipers (For the longest time, this was the only squad with the word Omnicron in their name, calling them Snipers is not only a habit hard to break, I feel it is an unlikely one for most members of the community)
VV- Venoc Vipers
VW, Mittens - Venoc Warlord
Tae- Taelord the Kyrie Warrior [Coststoomuch esq.]

Utgar's Rage (Wave 2)

Swogs, Kitties, Kittens - Swog Rider
KoW- Knights of Weston
MBS- Me-Burq-Sa
Denrick- Sir Denrick
Minions, MoU- Minions of Utgar
4th, 4th Mass, MM (short for Minutemen)- 4th Massachusetts Line
Anubians, AW- Anubian Wolves
Khosumet the Dorklord- Khosumet the Darklord
Drones- Marro Drones

Orm's Return (sometimes considered part of "Wave 2.5")

DW8K- Deathwalker 8000
SBN- Su-Bak-Na

Road to the Forgotten Forest (RttFF)
Using Dumutefs as more than filler isn't advised.

Volcarren Wasteland (VW)
OG's- Obsidian Guards [however you'll find that they're rarely used in competitive play]

Jandar's Oath (Wave 3)

Sentinels, SoJ, "meat" - Sentinels of Jandar
MCA, Microcorp- Microcorp Agents
often misspelled- Gorillinators
Hounds- Marrden Hounds
Monks- Shaolin Monks
Alastair- (MacDirk)
DW7K- Deathwalker 7000

Zanafor's Discovery (Wave 4)

Glads, G's - Gladiatrons
AA- Aubrien Archers
SB- Sacred Band (rarely used, people often seem to just write it out for some reason)
Tagawas - "" Samurai (not archers)
DeD, DED- Deadeye Dan
Murphy, James - James Murphy
Guilty- Guilty McCreech (named after Will Creech)

Raknar's Vision
Nilf, Jexik's favorite dragon- Nilfheim
Q9- Major Q9

Thaelenk Tundra (TT)
Yetis- Dzu-teh

Thora's Vengeance (Wave 5)

Blasts, B's - Blastatrons
Rats, robo-rats, Reavers, warmadillos- Deathreavers
WoA- Warriors of Ashra
Nakitas, NA- Nakita Agents
NotNW- Ninjas of the Northen Wind
Kozuke- "" Samurai

Dawn of Darkness (Wave 6)

Kaemon, Awasome, KA- Kaemon Awa
KMS- Kee-Mo-Shi
EI, TEI- The Einar Imperium
TSA- Tagawa Samurai Archers
Zombies, ZoM- Zombies of Morindan
Shades, SoB- Shades of Bleakewoode
HG's, Heavies- Heavy Gruts

Swarm of the Marro (SotM, MS2)

Q10- Major Q10
New Drake, SotM Drake- Sgt. Drake Alexander
Stingers- Marro Stingers
New Raelin, SotM Raelin- Raelin the Kyrie Warrior
TKN- Tor-Kul-Na
'grubs- Marrden Nagrubs

Fields of Valor (Wave 7)

Cyp, Cyprien- Cyprien Esenwein
Red Sonya- Sonya Esenwein
Iskra- Iskra ""
Marcu- Marcu "" (note that he is very different than Marcus, the W1 hero)
Rechets- Rechets of Bogdan
Templar, big disappointment- Templar Cavalry
Yari, harq's- respective Ashigaru squads
KG, Kyntela- Kyntela Gwyn

Defenders of Kinsland (Wave 8 )

10th, Redcoats- 10th Regiment of Foot
WoB- Wolves of Badru
Kato- "" Katsuro
The Elf Wizards- Jorhdawn, Emirroon, Chardris, and Ulginesh. They have various nicknames as well. KG is often included in this group, as is "admiral" Arkmer.
GRoks- Grok Riders; man it was so hilarious watching everyone repeat that typo for a couple weeks!

Aquilla's Alliance (AA)
Zeta- Zetacron
WSG- Wo-Sa-Ga

Blackmoon's Siege (Wave 9)

Caps, Capuans, Steamroller- Capuan Gladiators
ABF, Dwarves- The Axegrinders of Burning Forge
MRT, Mr. T's, Mohicans- Mohican River Tribe
BA- Brave Arrow
Dividers- Marro ""
Migol, MI- Migol Ironwill
TBR, Toolbox- Tul-Bak-Ra
Repulsors- Omnicron Repulsors (note my earlier statement about the Snipers being "omnicrons")
PoU- Protectors of Ullar

Valkrill's Gambit (Wave 10)
GG's- Granite Guardians
EOV- Elite Onyx Vipers
Monkeys, Apes, Sasquatches, QH- Quasatch Hunters
Sir Grungebob, Hawthorne- Sir Hawthorne
Nerak- "" the Glacian Swog Rider

Battle for the Underdark (BftU, MS3)

DD- Deepwyrm Drow
FT- Feral Troll
'lil blacky- Othkurik

Champions of Forgotten Realms

Lawnmower, **- ? ?
***- ? ?
**- ? ?
***- ? ?

Exclusives
Skahen, bunjee, ajent skahen, Jen- Agent Skahen
Woo- Master Win Chiu Woo

Misc Terms

3 on 4, 3 v. 4- 3 attack dice against a defender's 4 defense dice. For example, "I've got four 3 on 4's. My 4th Mass with height against your Sir Gilbert." The first person I saw doing this was spider. It makes sense to keep everyone honest and keep the game moving, avoiding any, "But I forgot to roll for jungle" BS. Tell them to roll for jungle and then they can't forget. Sometimes you'll forget, and then you politely admit it after they correct you. No harm done. 3 on 4 is just an example, you can substitute whatever numbers are appropriate to your game.
blank- to roll no, or very few skulls or shields when you need them
BoV- Battlefields of Valhalla, the HSers.com project for judging tourney maps for balance and general awesomeness
Deathwalker roll- to roll no shields on a lot of dice
juice, juicing- Stinger Drain
nonding- Coined by The BIV, this term is used to describe the MoU's non-bonding
one-shot- to take out a Hero at full health in one attack.
whiff- see blank, above.
WtF- Wait then Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
turtling, camping- setting up your army in one area of the map (generally high ground) and not moving. This tactic is most frequently used with ranged armies, particularly against melee opponents.
kamikaze unit, suicide unit - sending out a hero or squad at the beginning of battle without any protection, with the intention of bringing down some opposing figures before getting killed.
Z-bomb - when Zelrig hits a cluster of common squad figures with his Majestic Fires special attack. This usually happens at the beginning of the game, before the squad figures exit their start zone.
slow-roll- the strategy, popular among experienced players, of moving the rearmost figures of your army forward, so that your army stays together as a cohesive group.
screen, screening unit- figures that are set up in front of other, more vulnerable or valuable figures. The idea is to force your opponent to engage the screening unit. The most common screen is the deathreavers.
Cheerleader- a figure who provides benefits to other figures in your army. Raelin is the most common cheerleader.
cleanup - the later stages of a game, when most figures are dead and the board is less crowded.

List of well-known or high-performing players (and nicknames)
(sometimes, armies or builds are referred to by one of these guy's names)

s_p, spider, above average joe- spider_poison, the original creator of the power rankings and 2006/2008 GenCon Main event champ. He prefers ranged squad armies, especially those featuring Raelin. His GenCon wins were with Arrow Gruts and Trons. He also won the TTO IV, a 60 person event, with a Stinger podge. (2x Rats, 4x Stingers, Raelin, Kaemon, Isamu for 530). He keeps a low profile, usually walking into tournaments 3 minutes late, talking zero trash, reminding folks of their dice and bonuses, and then still crushing them. Usually you won't know who he is until you've shaken his hand after an embarassing loss.

Mattser, Matt- Mattsertruckrally is crazy good. He might only have 100 or so posts, but it would behoove you to read them. He always seems to be one step ahead of everyone else when it comes to playing to the map, glyphs, and what everyone else is running. He seems to do best when he's using some kind of Unique hodge podge backed up by Raelin and/or rats, but he can beat most people with lots of different stuff. Won the main event at GenCon in 2007 with a Vydar ranged pod, and in 2009 with a Braxas/AE/MW ratpodge.

LW, Mike- lonewolf established himself early as one of the best players around. At his first GenCon, he took the Glad/Blast combo to a 7-1 record and a 3rd place finish, losing only to Ry's rat-podge in 2007. The next year, he took 2nd. Due to the birth of a child, he couldn't make it to 2009. He's probably hungrier for that trophy than anyone else. His overall preferences toward army construction are very similar to spider's, although he's a little more likely to play Q9.

MM, Ken- Matthias Maccabeus known for putting melee (and Nebraska) on the 'scape map. Took 3rd in '09 in the main event with a Heavies/Raelin/Grimnak build. He also won about 80% of his games throughout the con without using any ranged units or Deathreavers. He takes matchups that some people think are unwinnable and goes ahead and wins. Known mostly for playing Knights, I'm not sure if that's even his best army anymore. I'm fairly comfortable in making the claim that he's the best melee v. range player in the country, although Mantrainchoochoo is probably very close.

Tom,"golden nugget" Hendal- A supremely aggressive and competitive player, you don't want to take him lightly. With his Stingers/Raelin, he has been the top seed going into day 2 both years that he has been to GenCon, including 2nd place on day 2 in 2009. He fared well in the side events too. Although he originally hails from Ohio, he lives in Costa Rica now, and is one of the biggest Heroscape fans on the planet.

tom- I don't know much about this guy. I don't think I met him last year. He's one of the topped ranked NERV'ers and backed it up at GenCon 2009. He was 5-0 in General wars (as jandar), and made it to day 2 as well.

ry, Mark- R˙chean seems to do better in the main event than back home in Texas: he has made day two 3/4 years at GenCon, including 3rd place in 2006 and 2nd place in 2007. He organizes a lot of events, was instrumental in the BoV for a long time, and is also a playtester. He's the "face" of tournament 'scape. He favors the Krav, Rats, Marro Warriors, and keeps trying to get Skahen and/or the Nakitas to work. Rarely uses Raelin.

Mantrainchoochoo- Mattsertruckrally's brother, who I've seen some posters refer to as "the Rainman of Heroscape." He plays very quickly and very well. He and the rest of the Ohio crew are excellent players. He tends to play Heavies or hodgepodge armies like his brother. Was top 8 with heavies in 2009, and would likely win more events if he didn't go to the same ones as Matt.

rev Dave- Revdyer proves that you're never too old to enjoy (or win at) this kid's game. Known for playing 4x Mass +2x Sentinels for 500.

Kahrma- A very solid player who did well in a number of events in 2008, and dominated his local scene for a time. I haven't heard much out of him since he stopped playing Q9 and started playing MonPoc too much. He's a quiet, analytical player who you shouldn't underestimate.

southwestninja- With his shaved head and tattoos, you probably wouldn't expect this guy to be a serious heroscape player, but he is. Tends to play Q9 and other highly ranked units, and tends to go farther than others with them. Won Heat of Battle in 2009, and took 3rd in the main event in 2008. Another ohioan.

Zach- matrixrenegade is one of the most fun people to play Heroscape with ever. He won Heat of Battle back in 2008, and I think he made day two back in 2006 and 2008. He's a good player who pretty much only shows up for GenCon.

Eirikr- arguably one of the best tourney players from Canada. I'm 0-2 against him. He made day 2 in 2008, and went 3-2 with Mohicans and Vipers in 2009.

Codeman- Although his tournament-playing record hovers around a 50-60% win rate, he's one of the best organizers around. Dale and his son Michael (jormi) have done a tremendous amount of work to get people from many states to travel to the middle of Iowa to play in some of the biggest and most well supported (prize-wise) tournaments in the country. Together with the Texas guys, he helped start the whole "National Heroscape Day" phenomenon. Tree Town Open III was my first tournament, and it made me a believer in the game.

I plan to add more sections, like one for different players and army names, as well as the sorts of terminology people use in battle reports. I might make a fully alphabetical list eventually, but this was the easiest way for me to make sure that I got all of the relevant units.

Please point out any commonly used names or acronyms for anything I list (or forgot to list). I'd like for this to be a collaborative effort. If it goes well, I could see stickying it. Edit: okay, I went ahead and stickied it. I think it'll be a good thread to have around, especially if I maintain it well.

Should I break off the thing about various players into a blog post or something? It almost feels out of place to me now. Or should I expand the OP by talking about nicknames for various specific army builds, like "Mattster/vydar range" "Trons" etc... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; January 25th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: dok additions
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: A Comprehensive List of Common Competitive Abbreviations

Thanks for putting it together. You could put Isamu as Parsley if you want. And add lawnmower.
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Added some brief descriptions of some of the top players.

I admit that it's fairly GenCon centric, but I do that mostly because I think that's where the main competition is.

I could maybe see giving a shout out to some local players who do well, like sisyphus, ollie, tom, or kinseth. Heck, maybe I should toss Tom in there anyway since he made the trip from the Northeast and had a good showing.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I don't think you can post what most people call me on a family site
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
You're right. Tony is a 4 letter word.

Quote:
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Pookie? Am I right?

-insert signature here-
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You could put Migol under the names for himself. And Me-Burq-Sa wasn't in Wave 1, only Wave 2 (you have him listed in both places). Skahen wasn't in Wave 10, and you didn't even mention Master Win Chiu Woo.

And, you never answered the very first question, what it RttFF. Most know what it is, but if it's what made you make this thread, it should be in there.

And I hate you for including Wave 11.

But, all in all, this a very good list, and should be stickied. And I believe that the old on is still there; it should be removed.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
And I would rather be called one of those other 4 letter words than that.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
And I would rather be called one of those other 4 letter words than that.
I hear that. Everyone seems to want to call me Jim too.

Quote:
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very good idea. This should even be considered stickied. I remember when I was first on this site I would see a unit abbrievation then have to go to the unit list and figure out what they are.

The only thing I can think of adding is the abbrievations for the various master sets and expansion packs.

ROTV
SOTM
RTTFF
VW
TT
TJ
FOTA
RV
AA
OR

Those one can be a bit tricky also.

Oh yeah, I thought it was just EI, not TEI.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Oh yeah, I thought it was just EI, not TEI.
I've seen both, but again not that often.

I'll list that as an alternate.

Quote:
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Just found this thread, there were a few, such as Wally World that weren't on here. Fantastic Thread by the way, thanks Jexik

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion