Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:51 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Army or Air Force?

As I'm nearing that decision of which service I wish to join, I seem to be torn between two worlds. Army, where my dad served, and Air Force, where everyone says is better and the rest of my family served. Help?

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Army or Air Force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
As I'm nearing that decision of which service I wish to join, I seem to be torn between two worlds. Army, where my dad served, and Air Force, where everyone says is better and the rest of my family served. Help?
Which one would best serve your long term goals AFTER the military (assuming you aren't planning on being career military). I'd pick that one.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:11 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Okay. That seems about right. Thanks!

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
Okay. That seems about right. Thanks!
Yeah, look in depth to see which one will best serve your long term career path. Hopefully someone can give you more specific details to help you.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Air Force sounds cooler.

But if you're the kind of person that makes decisions based simply on which one sounds cooler, then you should probably go into the Army. j/k (btw, my dad was in the Army)

There are quite a few military Scapers here so I'm sure someone will have some good advice for you. Merry Christmas.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

The key differences as far as I am aware:

* Army is more likely to have active combat duty in a deployment.
* Air Force has a higher percentage of officers (have to be an officer to be a pilot). This might be a minus if you aren't going to do ROTC in college.
* Army is going to make you run more and do more PT

Otherwise if there is a specific MOS that you can only get in one or the other, there is a lot that is going to look virtually identical. My dad was Air Force many, many moons ago and did communications. Today he probably would have done something more like network administration. My brother-in-law was in the Army for about the last 15 years and he did some sort of network administration. I believe in the Iraq invasion he did network stuff that allowed all branches of the military to share information during operations, share their "eyes and ears". There is a lot of overlap and duplication in MOS's, but I don't know anything about if one or the other has some highly specialized MOS that the others don't.

Personally I would choose Air Force because I would have a lower probability of being KIA and I hate running, but your mileage may vary.
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Marines.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They all rock.

Thanks to all our Armed Forces and Happy Holidays one and all!

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Navy.

One of my favorite quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Rat (Ratty) from A Wind in the Willows
There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing-about in boats.
~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; December 28th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM

BlueZ71 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

As a former Air Force guy I'm biased

I would check out military.com and go to the discussion section for the different branches. You will find good information on there. There are plenty of great people on that site who can answer questions. Chances are you'll find specific information regarding what career you are interested in and others experiences.

Best of luck in whichever you choose and thank you for serving your country!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

It depends on your ASVAB score and what MOS you want. Also, remember that you will likely want to think about what MOS you want (and are available) so that after you get out you have a career option, unless you want to go career in the armed forces, which isn't a bad thing.

If you go Air Force, you'll likely get a technical job, and during your service you can earn your degree so you come out of the AF with 3 years of job experience and a degree. Same can be said of some Army MOSs, too, but there's a lot more forward-looking jobs in the AF.

That being said, you can be a computer technician in the real world anytime, but there's few opportunities to jump from planes and shoot people in the head except in the Army. The downside is that you will absolutely have the opportunity to be shot at if you decide that the adventure of being a soldier is more important than a downrange career opportunity.

It all depends on what you want to do: set a goal for the future or have an experience and do something that you cannot possibly do in the civilian world. Good luck, brother.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

I have quite a few AF buddies, and I have gleaned that they are the toughest branch of service to get in, mentally/academic-wise, but their boot camp and physical training is considerably lax (excluding the Special Ops and other more physically demanding MOSs)- case in point: my cousin's physical fitness test in the AF involved 30 minutes on a stationary bike. So, if you have good test scores, and you are a bit worried about your physical fitness (or you are just naturally lazy, like me, and don't want to sweat it out too much), I would seriously consider the AF.

The Army is going to be tougher physically, but their standards are the lowest for entry, test-wise and age-wise (they have the highest ceiling for age caps, if you are 30+ and not prior enlisted). I have a few friends who are ex-Army, and it sounds a lot like the Marines (which I enlisted in at 17, machine gunner MOS 0331). Lots of mind games, physical fitness, and drill (aka boring marching); on the flip side, from an infantry point of view, you will spend a lot of time firing weapons, but also cleaning them (spotless, with q-tips), hiking them all over the place, and following the motley slogan of 'hurry up and wait.' We are also in a state of war, so the possibility of getting shot at is very real (note that this also depends on your MOS -military occupational speciality).

My biased summary: if you want to be treated more like a human being and less like a pack mule, and you have what it takes academically, pursue the Air Force. If you are interested in Combat Arms and are reasonably fit, the Army or Marines are your best bet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General