Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old February 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Bashh has disabled reputation
Forceful attacks.

I haven't come up with a map that'll work with this except anything with lava. My theory is why would you walk into molten lava on purpose unless your character is lava resistant? So there should be a forceful attack that anyone with a close ranged attack can do. Basically for each move that your character has left over from moving next to an enemy, you roll separate 'force' attack dice up to three and for each skull you get they are forced back and away that many, unless it's lava or water and they'll fall into those and stay there. Falling damage and lava damage would both be valid.

With these rules I've thought about making maps such as a cliff side, canyons, etc.

Has anyone else already done this or at least like the idea? I think there would have to be special rules for medium and smalls trying to force move a large or huge, I just haven't had a chance to do it yet.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
This type of rule is commonly referred to as "Knockback."

If you try searching that term, you will find a few variations on the idea...
Here is one of the latest:
Another (but really simple) knockback variant rule
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Blasted. Sorry then.
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashh
Blasted. Sorry then.
Hey, no apology needed
After all, great minds think alike, right?
Expect to find a lot of great ideas around here,
because there sure are a lot of great minds around here!

Oh, and I owe you a belated
"Welcome to Heroscapers.com, Bashh"
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
Implenting Knockback into hs is a great idea. I bet that if you were the 1st person to post this, this thread would be flooded with posts.

P.S. Welcome to our awesome site!
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Heh, I had a feeling I couldn't be the first person to come up with the idea, I mean it just makes sense. Especially after my friend bought one of the expansion packs that has a character that can throw someone as a special attack.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashh
Heh, I had a feeling I couldn't be the first person to come up with the idea, I mean it just makes sense. Especially after my friend bought one of the expansion packs that has a character that can throw someone as a special attack.
BEHOLD THE POWER AND MIGHT OF JOTUN!

I own him to, he can rally turn the tides ya know.

and welcome to the boads.

FINISH HIM!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

Braxev has disabled reputation
I haven't seen many rules posted on this topic, but I have a house rule that might help you out. Two variants of attacks, not often used except by people seeking to capitalize..

Knockback Attack
Apply the difference in height between attacker and defender to the figure with more. (I.E. A Height 4 figure attempting a knockback of a Height 8 figure allows the defender to roll 4 additional dice, whereas a Height 8 figure knocking back a Height 4 figure rolls 4 additional dice.)
If the attacker moved 4 or more spaces in a straight line to become adjacent to the defender this turn, add 2 to the attack roll. (Charging a figure helps.)
If the defender is a two-space figure, add 2 to the defence roll. (Stability is nice sometimes. This tends to benefit the larger figures much more, as well, as befits a larger figure, but doesn't give them any additional help in pushing others back.)
For every wound the defender would have taken, instead move him one space backwards in a straight line away from the defender. You may not knock a figure backwards in this manner more then the attacker's height in spaces. You must count elevation when counting movement spaces.
They may be forced down elevation and take the usual penalties for falling from height if they fall more then their height. A figure entering water or molten lava stops as per the rules for water and lava spaces.
Knockback cannot cause illegal movements. A two-space figure that is knocked back enough that only one space would be on the elevation cannot be knocked back that far.
A figure in knockback movement does not take disengaging attacks and is immune to passing strikes.

Example:

Bob the Knight has a Height of 5. Krug has a height of 8. (I don't know if his height is actually 8. Bob is a tall knight in any case.) Bob the Knight charges Krug from 4 spaces away, when Krug is on a cliff. Since Krug is height 8, and Bob 5, Krug will roll 3 additional defence dice. Krug is also a 2-space figure and gets another 2 defence dice. Since Bob is charging, he rolls 2 additional dice. Bob rolls 5 dice, and for some reason gets 5 skulls. Krug rolls 8 defence dice and gets 2.5 statistical shields, rounding down. Krug would have taken 3 wounds, but is instead knocking back 3 spaces. Krug goes flying.

Advanced Example
Krug goes flying off a cliff! Krug falls down 10 spaces. When he lands he will take a single falling damage die, and move 2 more spaces. (He didn't jump off, folks, he was KNOCKED off. Boy's gonna roll for a bit.) Krug lands next to a Krav Maga Agent, who cannot take a passing strike (I'm sure he didn't expect Krug to fall out of the sky, either), but rolls next to a Nakita Agent. Since Krug moved into an engagement, the Nakita may take her Engagement Strike. Has Krug landed and rolled by the Nakita, he would not have been subject to the Engagement strike since he is immune to passing strikes while knocked back.

Why did Bob knock Krug off the cliff instead of attacking Krug? Possibly because he was unwilling to risk Krug's angry counter-attack if he didn't kill Krug and thought it'd be better to knock the guy away from him. There's plenty of situations where knocking someone away can be strategically advantageous to attacking them, especially if you have a size advantage- knocking them into water, knocking them onto molten fields, knocking them off a glyph, knocking them into lava (ouch), knocking them off a cliff..

I apologize if the house rule is wordy or overly complicated. It's been attempted to be simplified, and hardly ever used, but it's interesting enough to be relevant to your question/desire, I thought.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxev
I haven't seen many rules posted on this topic, but I have a house rule that might help you out. Two variants of attacks, not often used except by people seeking to capitalize..

Knockback Attack
Apply the difference in height between attacker and defender to the figure with more. (I.E. A Height 4 figure attempting a knockback of a Height 8 figure allows the defender to roll 4 additional dice, whereas a Height 8 figure knocking back a Height 4 figure rolls 4 additional dice.)
If the attacker moved 4 or more spaces in a straight line to become adjacent to the defender this turn, add 2 to the attack roll. (Charging a figure helps.)
If the defender is a two-space figure, add 2 to the defence roll. (Stability is nice sometimes. This tends to benefit the larger figures much more, as well, as befits a larger figure, but doesn't give them any additional help in pushing others back.)
For every wound the defender would have taken, instead move him one space backwards in a straight line away from the defender. You may not knock a figure backwards in this manner more then the attacker's height in spaces. You must count elevation when counting movement spaces.
They may be forced down elevation and take the usual penalties for falling from height if they fall more then their height. A figure entering water or molten lava stops as per the rules for water and lava spaces.
Knockback cannot cause illegal movements. A two-space figure that is knocked back enough that only one space would be on the elevation cannot be knocked back that far.
A figure in knockback movement does not take disengaging attacks and is immune to passing strikes.

Example:

Bob the Knight has a Height of 5. Krug has a height of 8. (I don't know if his height is actually 8. Bob is a tall knight in any case.) Bob the Knight charges Krug from 4 spaces away, when Krug is on a cliff. Since Krug is height 8, and Bob 5, Krug will roll 3 additional defence dice. Krug is also a 2-space figure and gets another 2 defence dice. Since Bob is charging, he rolls 2 additional dice. Bob rolls 5 dice, and for some reason gets 5 skulls. Krug rolls 8 defence dice and gets 2.5 statistical shields, rounding down. Krug would have taken 3 wounds, but is instead knocking back 3 spaces. Krug goes flying.

Advanced Example
Krug goes flying off a cliff! Krug falls down 10 spaces. When he lands he will take a single falling damage die, and move 2 more spaces. (He didn't jump off, folks, he was KNOCKED off. Boy's gonna roll for a bit.) Krug lands next to a Krav Maga Agent, who cannot take a passing strike (I'm sure he didn't expect Krug to fall out of the sky, either), but rolls next to a Nakita Agent. Since Krug moved into an engagement, the Nakita may take her Engagement Strike. Has Krug landed and rolled by the Nakita, he would not have been subject to the Engagement strike since he is immune to passing strikes while knocked back.

Why did Bob knock Krug off the cliff instead of attacking Krug? Possibly because he was unwilling to risk Krug's angry counter-attack if he didn't kill Krug and thought it'd be better to knock the guy away from him. There's plenty of situations where knocking someone away can be strategically advantageous to attacking them, especially if you have a size advantage- knocking them into water, knocking them onto molten fields, knocking them off a glyph, knocking them into lava (ouch), knocking them off a cliff..

I apologize if the house rule is wordy or overly complicated. It's been attempted to be simplified, and hardly ever used, but it's interesting enough to be relevant to your question/desire, I thought.
WOW!!! Those are awesome rules! I am using them next game I play.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Braxev has disabled reputation
I forgot to mention the second variant, I got so wrapped up in the Knockback Attack description.
Knockdown Attack
This is done during a normal melee attack. The attacker can voluntarily choose to allow the defender to roll three additional dice, period (No size or charging or whatever benefits). The attack is done as normal and inflicts wounds as normal. However, after the attack roll is done, the attacker may count the number of blanks and roll his attack again, and count the number of blanks again and add them to the original total. (This secondary die roll does nothing to the original roll's determining of wounds or skulls). If the attacker rolls more blanks with his two rolls combined then the defender's enhanced, but single, defence roll rolled, knock the opponent backwards one space for every excess blank, up to a total of four.
On the other hand, if the defender exceeded the attacker with the number of blanks, knock the ATTACKER back in the same manner. This is considered Knockdown, not Knockback.
Knockdown Attacks DO allow for disengagement attacks, but not from the attacker. The knocked-down are still immune to passing strikes from figures not originally adjacent to them.

Example:
Krug the Mighty attempts to smite Agent Kyune. Two orc buddies are adjacent to Agent Kyune. Two enemy knights are adjacent to Krug. Agent Kyune has a defence of 4 normally. Krug has an attack of 8 due to his wounded smash. Krug decides to attempt a Knockdown Attack on Agent Kyune.

Krug rolls his 8 attack dice and gets 4 skulls, 1 blank, and 3 shields. Kyune rolls her 7 (4 original, +3) defence dice and gets 3 shields, 2 blanks, and 2 skulls. Kyune takes 1 damage to begin with. (Being a unique hero, she does not die right off.)

Scenario One
Krug then rerolls his attack dice and gets 3 skulls, 4 blanks, and 1 shield. He now has 5 blanks to Kyune's 2 blanks. Kyune is knocked down three spaces away. Krug does not get a disengagement attack upon her, however, the two orc buddies of his DO, and inflict one wound between them upon agent Kyune. Kyune has now taken 2 damage and is 3 spaces away from Krug, no longer engaged with him.

Scenario Two
Krug rerolls his attack dice and gets all skulls. While this would have been a nice attack, it does nothing for him, and Kyune now has one more blank then he does. Krug is knocked down one space backwards, and faces a disengagement strike from Kyune (who is not the attacker, and thus free to disengage-strike Krug) AND 2 Coward's Reward strikes from the 2 knights. Krug is obliterated.

this is much more complicated then the above rule and was only used twice. I actually don't advise playing with this one, as it makes the game much more complicated then it normally is, but I felt the need to complete the examples of the two variants for the original topic-poster.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions