Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
King of Tokyo arrived yesterday & my boys & I got a game in. I would say it's ok, but not over-joyed with it thus far. It was the first game & we were still learning the rules. There seems to be a big component of luck, which I don't enjoy so much. But again that might be because we haven't played it enough to get any ideas of strategies that can apply. I do like the risk/reward component of being in Tokyo although when my boys are going for the quick kills getting 4-5 attacks there doesn't seem like to much reward.

Paid for it now though so I won't give up on it. BTW what is the 2 extra green dice for?
You need the Expansion 1 to really make the game great. (Adds player-specific cards to make the Monsters more unique, you get to start with one at random.)

You know the cards that you can buy in the game using the energy cubes? There are two that allow you to get "Extra Heads," which allows you to roll more dice.

As to one strategy, you have to figure out how long you can risk staying in Tokyo.
I second the Power Up expansion, it introduces Evolution cards that Mega is referring to. The sad/funny thing about this game is that I like it more than my kids do now. Not sure why. My buddies and I have great games at work, really going for the kill and have a blast.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'm a fan with or without the expansion. There are multiple paths to victory and I enjoy seeing which ones the cards take me on. The expansion adds complexity and a lot of theme, for sure.

My father was in town so we played lots of games:

Lords of Waterdeep x2
Bananagrams xSeveral
Guild Hall xA Lot
Say Anything
Forbidden Island (without me)
Love Letter

It was a good gaming weekend. I think I might need to invest in some meeples for LoW, and the expansion, finally.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

I visited my nephews (in their mid to late 20s) to lure them into Devastation of Indines.

Devastation of Indines
This is a board game inspired by video fighting games such as Street Fighter. The game comes with 30 different characters. Each character gets 6 base attacks that are the same for all players, plus each character adds one base attack unique to that character.

Base attacks contain the following stats: range of attack, power of attack (damage it can inflict), and priority (speed of attack). The base attack may contain effects, such as moving your character, moving the opponent, defensive abilities, etc. Note: you can only move via these effects.

In addition to the base attacks, each character also has 5 different attack styles unique to that character. Styles are modifiers that are paired with one of the base attacks to create an attack pair. Each "beat" (game turn), each player secretly selects one style/base combo (attack pair).

Characters may also have additional abilities beyond the effects listed on the attack pairs, plus may have tokens or markers to manage those abilities. Reduce the opponent from 20 life to 0 or less, or have more life at the end of the time limit of 15 beats, and you win.

We played three one-on-one battles: my nephews against each other, plus me against each nephew. My younger nephew won both of his battles, while I won one. They really enjoyed the game and enjoyed looking through the various characters.

My 6-year old great-niece wanted to play, so I suggested a 2 vs 2 tag team match. My nephews teamed against me and my great-niece. I let her pick her own attack pairs without any assistance, which meant that she was effectively "button mashing." That was ok, though, because her picks managed to throw off my nephews. They finally defeated her character, leaving me to finish them off for a victory for our side at the end of 15 beats.

This game is insanely addicting and fun at the moment.

Oh, and I introduced this to my dad, who beat me in the two games we played.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue
After going out for dinner, we returned for some firefighting action. My great-niece had to go to bed, so it was up to my nephews and I to save 7 victims before the house was consumed in flames. We only managed to rescue 5 before the house collapsed. My older nephew joked that he won, because he was the only one standing outside the house when it collapsed.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
King of Tokyo arrived yesterday & my boys & I got a game in. I would say it's ok, but not over-joyed with it thus far. It was the first game & we were still learning the rules. There seems to be a big component of luck, which I don't enjoy so much. But again that might be because we haven't played it enough to get any ideas of strategies that can apply. I do like the risk/reward component of being in Tokyo although when my boys are going for the quick kills getting 4-5 attacks there doesn't seem like to much reward.

Paid for it now though so I won't give up on it. BTW what is the 2 extra green dice for?
It is a dice-based game, so luck will always factor in. It's the kind of game that I go into knowing that I may not always win, but I'm going to enjoy trying to pull it off.

Strategy is tough, since a lot of group specific. I've played with people who don't attack much, so going in the middle works okay, but I've also played with groups that just love to roll claws--so going in the middle is a death sentence!

When my young boys are playing, I avoid the middle at all costs--they will roll claws just to do it, with no individual gain at all. Carnage is the only goal.

I love the expansions (especially the first one--we always use the variant that has everyone begin with one random Power Up), but I still enjoy the base game as well.

But it is a lighter, dice-based game--enjoy it for the chaos it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I'm a fan with or without the expansion. There are multiple paths to victory and I enjoy seeing which ones the cards take me on. The expansion adds complexity and a lot of theme, for sure.

My father was in town so we played lots of games:

Lords of Waterdeep x2
Bananagrams xSeveral
Guild Hall xA Lot
Say Anything
Forbidden Island (without me)
Love Letter

It was a good gaming weekend. I think I might need to invest in some meeples for LoW, and the expansion, finally.
I love the expansion. I've looked at meeples, but can't find them cheaper than about $30. That is just a bit much, for me. It's hard to spend that much on a purely aesthetic upgrade with so many new games I could buy for that price.

If you find a good deal, let me know.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just received my Galaxy Defenders KS pledge. Reading through the rules now. Might have a go tonight or tomorrow at lunch.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

There are a couple of power cards that enable you to roll extra dice each turn, and you use them then. Those abilities can be pretty powerful, particularly when combined with cards that enable you to reroll dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post

Quote:

I love the expansion. I've looked at meeples, but can't find them cheaper than about $30. That is just a bit much, for me. It's hard to spend that much on a purely aesthetic upgrade with so many new games I could buy for that price.

Unfortunately, around $30 is probably the best you'll find, at least at present. I haven't seen any for less, yet. For what it's worth, I got mine for that price from a guy on BGG. He did a great job with them, and they add a ton of theme to the game. No more, "two orange cubes plus one black cube." Now they're little fighters and rogues, etc. I love 'em (but I also bought mini's for my Pathfinder Card Game, so maybe I'm just a sucker for bling).
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:

There are a couple of power cards that enable you to roll extra dice each turn, and you use them then. Those abilities can be pretty powerful, particularly when combined with cards that enable you to reroll dice.

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately, around $30 is probably the best you'll find, at least at present. I haven't seen any for less, yet. For what it's worth, I got mine for that price from a guy on BGG. He did a great job with them, and they add a ton of theme to the game. No more, "two orange cubes plus one black cube." Now they're little fighters and rogues, etc. I love 'em (but I also bought mini's for my Pathfinder Card Game, so maybe I'm just a sucker for bling).
For the Tiny Epic Kingdom kickstarter game which I backed for the $24 deluxe version, there are custom meeples available and for the whole set (like 7 Meeples for each of the maybe 8 factions) it cost $110 just for those meeples. Of course you could just get a few for less, but some people have spent $110 to pimp out their TEK games with these custom painted meeples.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Umm, isn't a big part of the appeal of TEK that it's small?

Speaking of KS, as Jim already pointed out elsewhere, our own Heroscaper from days-gone-by IMax (this guy: ) is making these awesome cards, though not technically a board game.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah, TEK is a small 4x game. So the idea of spending $134 on a $24 game is kind of silly to me.

I saw that cool set of cards that IMax is kickstaring. I pointed my sister in that direction to get cards for my brother in-law since he's a big poker player.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Miniature Market has these mini meeples for LoW for $15

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/mep0003.html
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

Yeah, but mine look much cooler.

Instead of just generic meeples of different colors, they are all cut to different shapes.

And to actually talk about games played, I tried out a game of Eight Minute Empire: Legends last night, and it was fun. It was designed by the same guy that did Empires of the Void and City of Iron. It is a very quick area control game with a modular board made up of four different pieces. It plays in about 20 minutes once you get the hang of it. Each turn, you buy a card from the top row and perform the action on the card. You then get the special ability of the card, which is sometimes associated with moving/placing armies, and sometimes worth extra victory points at the end of the game. I picked it up for around $20 to get free shipping from Miniature Market, and I'm happy with it. I'd definitely recommend it as a quick, filler game that requires some decent decision-making.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

Yeah, but mine look much cooler.

Instead of just generic meeples of different colors, they are all cut to different shapes.
I was mainly linking those for the budget conscious, which you have proven you are not. It's funny, I'll spend tons of money on games I haven't even played, but I refuse to spend money to make games I actually play prettier (other than Heroscape). Might have to revisit this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games