Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Roman Archers

I play what I call friendly competative games. In other words, I play games that both me and my opponent play to win, cause we hate to lose.

I recently played the Roman Archers. The probably did better for me than any other time I played them (and it's been a while). I think the secret, with many of the newer units, is pairing them with something that is more scary than they are. That's how they were effective.

They were totally filler. I had great powers and specials in my army, but I needed some common range. And everything else became more of a priority to my opponent than the silly Roman Archers. They got their combined attack off twice, and it was devestating.
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

that's quite the insight. Every so often I find myself with quite a few points left but all I need are filler. What better than a bunch of arrow volleys?
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
I think the secret, with many of the newer units, is pairing them with something that is more scary than they are. That's how they were effective.

They were totally filler. I had great powers and specials in my army, but I needed some common range. And everything else became more of a priority to my opponent than the silly Roman Archers. They got their combined attack off twice, and it was devestating.
I won a game the other day with Warden 816 (as my final unit) and thought the same thing. "Sub-par" units can make for good filler because they're unimposing. I wish we had a strong enough community down here that I could test that idea out . . . .

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM

tidus 360 Woo who?

Not sure if this is the place to post this but couldn't find the answer...
I don't have these guys but i am kind of wondering how the volley ability works. It says that 3 of them have to be adjacent, can they be in a straight line like this I I I for the ability to work? Or do they have to be like this
I I (ex. They are on a 3 space hex (triple hex))
I

Is it possible for the ability to work either way? So basically the real question is "does each archer have to be adjacent to the other two?"

If the answer is yes, doesn't that mean the straight line doesn't work?

"This is it, this is your story. It all begins here".
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
...this one is in the FAQ. They can be in a line or triangle...
However, I don't see it in the current edition of the FAQ (this is a pretty old Grungebob post).

Edit. Heh, or it's already answered twice in this thread.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
However, I don't see it in the current edition of the FAQ (this is a pretty old Grungebob post).

And In the FAQ AND in the very first post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Roman Archers- Despite having a powerful combined attack, one defense and a range of six means a short
life for the Roman Archers. C

Roman Archers
Volley and Placement? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=2658
Arrow Volley Specifics? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=695
both those links answer your question about the proper formation of the RA's SA.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:

And In the FAQ...
I still don't see it in the FAQ. Am I looking in the wrong spot? (I've checked under their unit name, but I guess it could be in a separate section on adjacency or something.)
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hah! Maybe it's not in the current version, I just checked and the one I am viewing is a few years old. In either event, the answer has been given several times - most notably by a rules team member.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM

SPECTER has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel View Post
If you are fighting against Roman Archers, remember to kill or base all but two quickly with figure like Deathreavers BEFORE you send in your heavy hitters. Roman Archers are quite formidable when allowed to maintain their ability.
Finished a rather lengthy scenario game last night, involving a large hive of Marro and an alliance of elves and men. I played as the Marro and in the heat of all the combat, Su Bak Na and Wo Sa Ga were shot down by two squads of Roman Archers using Arrow Volley. The Archers had been tailing Jotun as backup. However, as mentioned numerous times previously, once I got height with a few Marro Stingers, the Archers fell quickly.

"That which is above is as that which is below"
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Poop. I am regretting getting 4 units of these (cost me $24)...May just have to re-sell them when I get them in the mail. 1 defense? Really?

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTER View Post
Finished a rather lengthy scenario game last night, involving a large hive of Marro and an alliance of elves and men. I played as the Marro and in the heat of all the combat, Su Bak Na and Wo Sa Ga were shot down by two squads of Roman Archers using Arrow Volley. The Archers had been tailing Jotun as backup. However, as mentioned numerous times previously, once I got height with a few Marro Stingers, the Archers fell quickly.
Roman Archers snagged both SBN and WSG?!

That's far more than they've ever done in my hands.

It was largely frustration with the Roman Archers' Volley (great ability concept, but too restricted to be very effective) that led us to give a modified form of it to our Skeleton Archers (below). Wish the Romans had been more like this.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This might be a n008 question, but if you have Tealord or some other reason why the archers would have more attack, could you roll more dice on the volley?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units