Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old September 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
For all you video game tester hopefuls:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_tester#Compensation

Just move to Seatle, LA or Houston, and you'll be in a game testing wonderland. Because of popularity of the job, it helps to have some video game/technical stuff on your resume. If you know a bit how game programs work, you are likely to be a better tester

One note: many people say that testing games for bugs has little resemblence to playing games for fun. On the other hand, many people also say it beats stacking shelves or busing tables.

Dream job for you game players? Be a reviewer. Play games for fun, write whatever you want about them, and accept mad bribes from game publishers. Y'know, they'll pay to let you fly in an f-16 so you can 'properly' rate their wargame. Eh, but those days are over, so they say....
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
For all you video game tester hopefuls:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_tester#Compensation

Just move to Seatle, LA or Houston, and you'll be in a game testing wonderland. Because of popularity of the job, it helps to have some video game/technical stuff on your resume. If you know a bit how game programs work, you are likely to be a better tester

One note: many people say that testing games for bugs has little resemblence to playing games for fun. On the other hand, many people also say it beats stacking shelves or busing tables.

Dream job for you game players? Be a reviewer. Play games for fun, write whatever you want about them, and accept mad bribes from game publishers. Y'know, they'll pay to let you fly in an f-16 so you can 'properly' rate their wargame. Eh, but those days are over, so they say....
Quoted for truth. A friend did some work as a game tester, and he didn't like it that much. It was a case of play the game, play it some more, play it so you break it. He said that it got real tedious after a while.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver
Got my dream job 15 years ago. I'm a pastor. Think about it - the Boss called me to come to work for Him! Ans I get to talk with Him on a daily basis! And - the pay may not be much, but the retirement package is out of this world!
Umm, . . .

Nah, not even I am willing to go that far.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Ideally I'd love to work for Nintendo designing video games. However right now that seems far fetched, but I still have my ambitions. Heck, anything that's related to art would be great for me, as long as it's something I like doing.

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM

brotharon has disabled reputation
Couch cushion softness tester and crtitic...I hear those guys make bank!

brotharon is Eldgrim...
in th' QUICKSILVER CAVE...Kill aw day, bevvy aw nicht.
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
Same thing works for board games. The pay sucks, but the benefits rule.

Of course, since video games are a bigger deal than board games, video game reviewers get a lot more attention. But I wouldn't do that job for anything - I've had people try to give me games, but I tell them I just cover board and card games. WAY too much trouble to play a game to the end just so you can write 500 words about it.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Nightmare has disabled reputation
I'd like to be a storyline writer for Nintendo. I want to make a game that could fit in with Metroid, about another bounty hunter that forms a Counter Terrorism Unit and helps Samus Aran on various missions... and then she joins the CTU and it would be an awesome trilogy. All of them would be REALLY scary.

2006 Sets Accomplishment Bars:
ZANAFOR'S DISCOVERY[I, II, III, IV/IV] THAELNEK TUNDRA[/I] RAKNAR'S VISION[I/I], FORTRESS OF THE ARCHKYRIE[I/I], THORA'S VENGEANCE [I, II, III, IV/IV], SIR HAWTHORNE'S ARRIVAL [I/I], CREST OF THE VALKYRIE [/V]
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM

-Zim- has disabled reputation
I really would like to write...

either that or be in a band.

Old September 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Wow this has been a very fun and productive thread for me to read. . .

I started out reading the first page thinking, hey I've done that, and sorta done that, and sorta done that (). Then "yeah, I have thought about how cool it would be to be a National Geographic photographer." Then I came across that post about the very cool-sounding IDEO company, so I decided to check out their web site to see what kinds of positions they have open. Turns out there is one dream job description there that sounds like they were describing everything about me! If you could see what went through my mind while reading it, that would have looked like:

Thanks to all who posted in this thread!

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Awesome. Did you apply?

Newb.
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrun
Wow this has been a very fun and productive thread for me to read. . .

I started out reading the first page thinking, hey I've done that, and sorta done that, and sorta done that (). Then "yeah, I have thought about how cool it would be to be a National Geographic photographer." Then I came across that post about the very cool-sounding IDEO company, so I decided to check out their web site to see what kinds of positions they have open. Turns out there is one dream job description there that sounds like they were describing everything about me! If you could see what went through my mind while reading it, that would have looked like:

Thanks to all who posted in this thread!
You're Welcome! BTW, which position do you want?

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Yup, I just finished applying for Junior Toy Inventor/Interaction Designer . It is doubtful they will pay me enough to be more than I make now, considering the expensive cost of living in Cali over Ohio, but for the right job I would consider taking a pay cut. If anyone is interested, I will post back if I hear anything from them.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General