Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 12th, 2021, 03:37 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

We had a fantastic single 4 hour game. Taeblewalker couldn't make it, so Kolakoski ran two armies--Captain Cold and Daredevil. Sherman Davies captained Captain America (Isaiah Bradley). I was running the Batman army; Monks vs Zombies. Eventually Batman himself came in and was great. The game was in tight contention right down to the wire!

At the end Sherman Davies was eliminated, and it was Batman vs Daredevil and two Red Mantis Blade Dancers. Batman took out Daredevil's last wound for the win. Exciting. K. is going to run more similar scenarios in the future, where he makes up the armies himself and we choose among them.

K.'s going on vacation for six weeks, so next month in December I'll be running a game without Supers, but looking to play more of the complete collection of C3V custom cards Ishmel gave me over the summer. I think I'll work on limiting the army building parameters such that the less powerful and used characters get into the game.
Old November 14th, 2021, 02:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

*December Farscape*

Welcome to a simple new type of Heroscape scenario. I call it Faction Army (FAR) Scape aka FARSCAPE. (Or how about just "Faction Scape?") In our upcoming December session, we'll use these easy rules and definitions for army building.

General Scenario Conditions
We'll use Classics and Customs, but no Supers. Each player will bring two completely different Faction Armies (FAR)--no duplicates--of 550 Points each. We'll do a Free For All, with a second game that will either be a team game or a second FFA. Each game will go 10 rounds, after which the player with the most points wins with Full Card Scoring. Here are the parameters within these general conditions:

Faction Army (FAR) Rules

1. Half the total army points must be composed of cards from the same species. For those of you hung up on Political Correctness, that's the first desciptor on the left of the card, aka "race"). Note that members of the same species in the same army may have allegiance to different Generals. Species are expanded to include "Half" Species (of that Species), Eladrin for Elves, etc.). A Hybrid is an Orc. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. Feel free to ask for any necessary clarifications.

2. Each army must be composed of one Champion (defined below), a minimum of one Hero (Unique and/or Uncommon) and a minimum of two Squads (Unique and/or Common). No single card except the Champion may cost over 110 Points each.

3. A Champion may cost up to 220 Points. There can be only one (per army).

4. There is a limit of 24 starting spaces.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them to me or all of us before game day. This is more like what I expected thematic Heroscape Armies to be like from when the game first came out, so let's see if it works.
Old November 21st, 2021, 07:46 AM

Sherman Davies posted a new custom hero on his thread (LOTR). I invited him to test it in the next game, since it is part of a faction which already has several other C3V cards.
Old November 26th, 2021, 07:31 AM

FACTION ARMY SCAPE

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I've got an idea for an army, based on some "minor" relatively new C3V Customs I've never played of a particular race. Hence my new Faction Scenario noted above. This is closer to what I first thought Heroscape would be like. I may some day go even a step farther, and allow all bonding powers to work with the same race, or the members of the same army.

The cross bonding of Heroscape makes it an intricate challenge, but I have to admit that I don't usually make up teams with both good and bad (Utgar, Valkrill, and perhaps Vydar) guys together, although I've done that more in recent times. I expected most of the bonding powers to work in the same General's factions, and of course, some of them do.

So this Faction idea of mine allows some cross race recruiting to allow for that within the normal Scape format. All comments and questions are welcome. I'm looking forward to our first game with this simple but a bit different army design idea!

And of course it helps that I now have all of the C3V cards available here, thanks to Ishmel.

(Edit) Another consideration is this allows one to use some of the minor characters that are fairly new Customs, which one wouldn't otherwise get the chance to field.

Last edited by chas; September 17th, 2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old December 6th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

My armies are all picked!

Old December 7th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Uh-oh! And with only three players, I have to be near them...
Old December 7th, 2021, 10:24 AM

I found a good 3 Player map by Flash_19, one of our mainstay map designers, and it is now rising on the table. Then I'll move on to building my armies for tomorrow. I've got a commitment to one species so far. It has had a number of C3V "minor" customs over time that I've never used so far. I like to try and use everything once!
Old December 7th, 2021, 11:36 PM

What's the difference between Orcs and Goblins?

Orcs snarl, but Goblins laugh...

Chas Orc Faction Army (Game 1)

Hrognak (Mounted)* 205
Tornak 100
Kuthrak* 70
Heavy Gruts 70
Brute Gruts* 65
Blade Gruts 40
Total: 550 (17 SP)

Chas Goblin Faction Army (Game 2)

Urk* 65
Bugbear Bashers*x2 130
Goblin Slashers* 55
Horned Skull Brutes x2 150
Goblin Cutters x3 150
Total: 550 (25 SP**)

* = C3V/SOV aka "VC"

** Goblins are cheaters; what can I tell you?

So I'm going to play the howling hordes of Minor Evils, half of each armies being customs. Of these, I've only played the Brute Gruts before, but without the newer bonding heroes. I'm more interested in trying to master the new synergies than winning. Either way, it should be glorious! To quote myself: "If you can't beat 'em, scare 'em to death!"

Back in 1999, when Heroscape was very limited in what was officially available, I started attending HMGS Minis Conventions, which I would do at least twice a year for many years, and picked up extra figures at the Flea Markets. In those days there were plenty sellers with huge bins of minis for sale--fantasy, superheroes, whatever. I'd pick up a small basket and go through them searching for the ones I liked!

Although I picked up all kinds of fantasy races on an individual basis, in those days there were only a few types of Orcs and Dwarves (and no Goblins) in Scape. So besides various interesting singles of many races, I made up entire armies of Dwarves and Orcs. My pals may remember some of these bigger nasty green Orcs from those days when they see some of them once more, when I had my own custom rules for them. Now they will appear as Fan "Official" Customs!

So as the poet said: "Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair!"

The map is Quilato Valley by Flash_19 and is up on the table.

I just noticed Koggo, the brand new Skittish Goblin Archer on the Home page. But his PDF isn't up yet, and the army is built. Next time...Go C3V!

Last edited by chas; December 9th, 2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old December 9th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Kolakoski is on vacation, and Tablewalker couldn't make it, but Sherman Davies and I had a couple of great games. Here are the two armies he used:

Sherman Davies Maridien Army (Game 1)

Kyle Jax* 120
Kira Jax 30
M-43 Resistance Fighters x4 260
Fyorlag Spiders x 3 120
Marcu Eisenwein 20
Total 550

Sherman Davies Dwarf Army (Game 2)
Mok 220
Axegrinders of the Burning Forge x3 210
Krav Maga 100
Isamu 10
Total 540

*Sherman Davies custom, "brother of Kira Jax" (see his LOTR custom thread, where his other customs also appear). SD was a regular on the C3V for many years, and is also well known for his many Superhero/Villain customs as well. He also did many LOTR.

Last edited by chas; February 18th, 2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old December 9th, 2021, 09:09 AM

Well, Sherman Davies won both games, although the second one was closer. We had a great time, as we learned how to work the synergies; he for testing his new custom, and me for a number of C3V designs I hadn't got around to playing, or that didn't have the newer bonding heroes available when they first came out. I got to be the snarling or laughing evil hordes, which made for a great adventure day!

Game One

With an all melee army, SD's Maridiens had me with all their shooters, but I still managed to give a good account of myself, and eventually charge and kill his special Custom with Hrognak (Mounted). In these games we got most of our "glory moments" by using synergy or powers the way they were meant to work once, though not always. All of the fighting was around or on the large hill between our Start Zones (we removed the third one, but didn't use the other two hills on the three player map).

While there were plenty of Maridien squaddies left when my final figure went down, I gave my opponent a good battle, as there were lots of bushes and trees around for extra defense against shooters in the lower areas around the hill. Because I used a large Ruin for cover, he had to close in with some of his figures, and was quite willing to do that, although getting some shots in from below. My Mounted Hrognak got a few bow shots in, which SD had to remind me to take!

Game Two

SD used his Krav advanced as bait. They got some shots in but I took out two of them. His Mok got in some good shots, but finally charged in. My "glory moment" at the bottom of the hill went awry though. I had kept one of my Bugbear Bashers passive to use his extra attack power if he didn't move with two order markers on him, but Mok took him out in one attack! Then Mok waded into my Start Zone, and my second Basher got a couple of five die attacks in before he was polished off. Then my Horned Skull Brutes all came in to take the giant down. So we both got a nice glory moment!

I threw in a squad of Goblin Slashers into the army just to try them, but they got wiped out quickly. Since the Goblin Heroes get or give extra power when adjacent to squad Goblins, I didn't see that the Slasher's retreat was helpful, other than giving one hero a bonding turn. We dont' have any photos, but I used the nasty green orcs I'd collected year ago for the most of the proxies I needed for either army! But the Goblin Cutters worked very well, often just sacrificed to save stronger heroes. However, I did get one great shot in with three of them on Mok early on, and put some wounds on him by subtracting two defense dice! That was definitely a glory moment! So while I eventually lost the game, it was an epic battle, and very satisfying Scape!

Thanks to Flash_19 for yet another great map! I'd gladly use it again when we have only three players. Check it out on his map thread. Taeblewalker was going to bring Vipers and Marro, and also be happy to run this simple scenario ;"Faction Scape" on multiple occasions!

Taeblewalker is up for running January's custom scenario game in our rotation; we look forward to what he'll come up with next month.

*Happy Holidays to all!*

For my 70th Birthday (this Christmas Eve), SD presented me with my own Custom card and figure (not posted here because it has my real name on it). Its a 60 point WWII character we'll call "Corporal Chas" (Jandar) here:

If you want to try it out:

Human
Unique Hero
Soldier
Resolute
Medium 5

5 Life
Move 5
Range 6
Attack 2
Defense 2
60 Points

Studied Observation

When Cpl. Chas attacks an opponent's figure he may attack one additional time for each revealed order marker on that figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one Common Army Card for that figure). Cpl. Chas can only attack a figure from that Army Card.

(Edit: this card is now posted for you in color by SD in his customs thread).

Last edited by chas; February 18th, 2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old December 30th, 2021, 09:03 AM

The Plague Is Back In Force With Omicron!

Round Two coming up--or is it Round Four now? NYC is partially closing down again. Everyone is canceling our planned game days now. Ironically, I just received the second to last Kickstarter I ordered of six before the Pandemic, after waiting over two years for it, and now have no one to play it with!

I'm all boosted myself, having just had my 70th birthday, and I've ordered some safer face masks. In the meantime, its back to solitaire gaming for a while.

I expect we'll have to delay Taeblewalker's next Heroscape game for January. How long remains to be seen.

Stay safe out there, everyone!
Old January 16th, 2022, 04:45 AM

"What's the news
Across the nation?
We have got the information
With a look we hope will amuse.
We just love to give you our views.
La-da-di-dah!
Ladies and Gents,
Laugh-In looks at the news!"

--Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, 1968-73

January 2022 NYCG4 Update

We are hoping to resume live gaming late in February, depending on upcoming Covid developments. Most of us are semi Quarantining here in NYC.

Sherman Davies is leading a normal life, including going in to work.

Chas has just gotten Hellenica: The Story of Greece Leaders and Legends Expansion--the last of six Kickstarter board games he backed before the Pandemic. Finally! He's busy solitairing Number Five: The Great Wall with its many alternate modes and expansions.

Taeblewalker has been playing lots of live board games with his local groups. He now has bronchitis, but not Covid. We hope he'll be feeling better soon.

Kolakoski has returned from his Caribbean vacation.

Last edited by chas; January 16th, 2022 at 05:36 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion