Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old November 14th, 2021, 12:57 AM

EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Arrow Gruts

It's been a while, but I finally got the chance to expand my Heroscape collection and bought myself some swog riders.

The problem with lower point games is that if you pick an orc army, your opponent will take the opportunity to pick strong hero units, which could easily swipe away the orcs. Krug can help mitigate that problem, but then it gets complicated as you have to position arrow gruts, swog riders and Krug all across the map, hoping that your enemy's army isn't quick enough to catch up. And besides, if your opponent is focusing all of their efforts on Krug right at the start, then they're bound to lose anyways. In bigger point games, the enemy has enough units to go after your arrow gruts, whether or not you have Krug or Mimring in your army.

I've read a suggestion from a while ago on this thread saying that these guys are underestimated, and therefore can be used to the player's advantage when others least expect it. But if your opponent was smart enough to draft flying and/or ranged units, then these arrow gruts become more of a nuisance than a legitimate problem.

Maybe I need more than 2 squads of these guys, together with more than 2 swog riders. But considering the real-world price of Heroscape figurines, and the fact that this squad is as uninteresting as the Ahisgaru Harquebus, means that I won't be trying these guys again any time soon.
Old November 14th, 2021, 12:23 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGreat1999 View Post
It's been a while, but I finally got the chance to expand my Heroscape collection and bought myself some swog riders.

The problem with lower point games is that if you pick an orc army, your opponent will take the opportunity to pick strong hero units, which could easily swipe away the orcs. Krug can help mitigate that problem, but then it gets complicated as you have to position arrow gruts, swog riders and Krug all across the map, hoping that your enemy's army isn't quick enough to catch up. And besides, if your opponent is focusing all of their efforts on Krug right at the start, then they're bound to lose anyways. In bigger point games, the enemy has enough units to go after your arrow gruts, whether or not you have Krug or Mimring in your army.

I've read a suggestion from a while ago on this thread saying that these guys are underestimated, and therefore can be used to the player's advantage when others least expect it. But if your opponent was smart enough to draft flying and/or ranged units, then these arrow gruts become more of a nuisance than a legitimate problem.

Maybe I need more than 2 squads of these guys, together with more than 2 swog riders. But considering the real-world price of Heroscape figurines, and the fact that this squad is as uninteresting as the Ahisgaru Harquebus, means that I won't be trying these guys again any time soon.
honestly, there are lots of people that can print some for you. Having one or two of the originals, and the rest 3d printed is a great, inexpensive way to go. Also, when playing with anyone except the most stringent person, use other two base figures as proxies for swogs and blade or heavies (or anything humanoid) for proxies for the arrows.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old November 14th, 2021, 05:16 PM

EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
honestly, there are lots of people that can print some for you. Having one or two of the originals, and the rest 3d printed is a great, inexpensive way to go. Also, when playing with anyone except the most stringent person, use other two base figures as proxies for swogs and blade or heavies (or anything humanoid) for proxies for the arrows.

Good point. But it's money that can be spent on my purchasing of Wave 7 instead. Proxies are a good idea that I've used for other common squads.

But to tell you the truth, I don't think that having more arrow gruts and swog riders is going to improve my opinion of these guys, although I'm always willing to try something new. Any ranged opposition facing the arrow gruts (Protectors of Ullar, Syvarris, any other ranged squad or even dragons with ranged attacks) can cut these guys to shreds without much effort. Krug and Mimring aren't enough protection when your opponent is smart enough to focus on the ogres with bows and arrows who are trying to outmatch them on their flank.
Old November 23rd, 2021, 10:48 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Actually I find that you need 1 more swog rider than squad of Gruts. So if your'e using two squads of archers, it'as best to have 3 swog riders...At least 1 to boost the Gruts and the other to attack.
It's not the best strategic army but it can be a lot of fun.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 23rd, 2021 at 10:49 PM. Reason: And fun is half the battle...the other half being slaughter and mayhem.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units