Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old August 17th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: [Pod 2] Katryn Vade (Nahiri, Fuy in Stone) - Editing

Hope I'm not butting my nose in here. I've been ruminating on this design a bit today - really enjoy the Icarian theme. I did come up with an interesting alternative to Aspect of the Dragon that I thought I'd suggest. Kind of a mish-mash of some of the things I saw in this thread, with a twist. Thematically it's very similar to what you've got going on, but gameplay-wise would be pretty different I think.

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Katryn Vade begins the game with 2 Aspect Markers on her card. While 2 Aspect Markers are on this card, Katryn Vade's size is Huge. While 1 Aspect Marker is on this card, Katryn Vade's size is Large. While at least 1 Aspect Marker is on this card, Katryn Vade's species is dragon. When Katryn Vade recieves 1 or more wounds, you may remove an Aspect Marker to ignore all damage.
Please forgive the wording, I haven't thought in scape for quite some time. Wording-wise this power is pretty complex but I think mechanically it's pretty intuitive: Katryn's size is Medium+n where n=number of aspect markers, and you lose markers using them to block damage. Thought it might also be a neat mechanic to allow her to use an Aspect Marker to give her +4 range on her special attack. I'm not sure what y'all will think of this though, complexity wise. Would reduce her life points to 4 with this skill set.

You can take or leave the dragon species thing, I just thought it might be cool if she could bond with the Greenscales. Thematically I'm imagining Aspect of the Dragon as a sort of spectral dragon-shaped energy that surrounds Katryn.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old August 17th, 2022, 03:41 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey @Maklar the Silver Prince , thanks so much for stopping by! Outside thoughts are always appreciated

I do like that ability, although I'm hesitant to suggest such a significant change while the figure is in Editing. However, if the rest of the team was on board with it I'd be open to the change.

Here's another possibility that's maybe a bit streamlined?

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
At the start of each round, before placing Order Markers, you may place the Aspect marker on this Army Card. While there is an Aspect marker on this Army Card, Katryn Vade’s species is Dragon and she has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card. If Katryn is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, instead of rolling defense dice normally you may remove an Aspect marker from this Army Card. If you do, Katryn takes no damage.
Coupled with this ability I also like the idea of giving her +4 range on her SA if she has the Aspect marker on her card.
Old August 17th, 2022, 05:43 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Hey @Maklar the Silver Prince , thanks so much for stopping by! Outside thoughts are always appreciated

I do like that ability, although I'm hesitant to suggest such a significant change while the figure is in Editing. However, if the rest of the team was on board with it I'd be open to the change.

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
At the start of each round, before placing Order Markers, you may place the Aspect marker on this Army Card. While there is an Aspect marker on this Army Card, Katryn Vade’s species is Dragon and she has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card. If Katryn is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, instead of rolling defense dice normally you may remove an Aspect marker from this Army Card. If you do, Katryn takes no damage.
Coupled with this ability I also like the idea of giving her +4 range on her SA if she has the Aspect marker on her card.
First off, great feedback Maklar- I love seeing people offer their perspective here.

This is pretty solid and I wish it had been suggested earlier. Part of my concern about Aspect as it currently stands is that it mostly feels like flavor text rather than a frequently relevant gameplay mechanic. This solves that issue for me but we are pretty late in the process so unless the team unanimously agrees they'd like a change I'm hesitant to push for it.
Old August 17th, 2022, 10:17 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Yeah, I was worried this wasn't an appropriate time in this thread to suggest a drastic change like this. But a good idea is a good idea whenever, right?

Yeah, one issue it seems you've been running into is the timing of the activation of ASPECT. Having Katryn start the game with it "on" is an easy route to take in avoiding problematic power interactions. Being able to toggle it on and off seems like it might be complicated to make work correctly too (although I'm not sure, maybe that's not the case). Making Katryn into a resource-management type hero obviously changes her design completely - it'd make for a good design but you also lose the simplicity you were looking for a special attacker who has the immunities offered to Huge figures.

FWIW I think in practicality you would just keep Katryn toggled "on" as a Huge (maybe a Dragon) figure with the current power you've got going on. Except in fringe cases where you're facing Dendrik or the Nhah Scirh or you want Theracus to move her. Unless I'm missing something. Nothing wrong with that. Would there be an issue of just making those her size (and maybe species) all the time for the purpose of special abilities, with the player not being able to choose?

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old August 18th, 2022, 10:41 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
FWIW I think in practicality you would just keep Katryn toggled "on" as a Huge (maybe a Dragon) figure with the current power you've got going on. Except in fringe cases where you're facing Dendrik or the Nhah Scirh or you want Theracus to move her. Unless I'm missing something. Nothing wrong with that. Would there be an issue of just making those her size (and maybe species) all the time for the purpose of special abilities, with the player not being able to choose?
This is true and it makes all this special marker business overdesigned and underused. If we want something dynamic, then give it real decision points and potential counterplay.
Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
When revealing a numbered order marker on Katryn Vade's Army Card, you may also reveal an "X" order marker that is on Katryn's Army Card to activate Aspect of the Dragon for the duration of the round. While Aspect of the Dragon is active, Katryn's size is Huge and add 1 to Katryn's Attack and Defense values.
Old August 26th, 2022, 12:45 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
I just thought it might be cool if she could bond with the Greenscales.
Quote:
Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Also, FWIW, if there is a strong desire to make her bond with the Greenscale Warriors, she either has to start the game as a Dragon or have phrase that let's her start the game with an Aspect Marker since the Greenscales can only choose a Dragon at the beginning of the game.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old August 26th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I personally don't feel a strong desire to make her bond with the Greenscales. In fact, I'd find it a bit unthematic as she never actually becomes a dragon, she's just summoning Zelrig's spirit to protect her.
Old August 26th, 2022, 10:32 AM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, Greenscale Bonding feels wrong here imo.
Old February 15th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

There's a lot of design talk going on here. Should this return to Design, or should I work on Editing with what is in the OP?
Old March 22nd, 2023, 04:09 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Please answer Scytale's question @Zetsubo @Alexandros @Skinderella @NecroBlade @Astroking112 @flameslayer93 @Captain Stupendous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
There's a lot of design talk going on here. Should this return to Design, or should I work on Editing with what is in the OP?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 22nd, 2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Thanks for raising this question Scytale. I think that with the amount of discussion there has still been around Aspect of the Dragon, we should return to Design for now until the Pod has a more settled sense of what they want the power to accomplish.
Old March 26th, 2023, 09:00 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 2] Katryn Vade (Nahiri, Fuy in Stone) - Design

Honestly I'm fine with AotD being a niche power that's simple instead of adding bells and whistles. As was previously said, she's not actually becoming a Dragon, so anything beyond protective immunity feels a bit unnecessary. (Also we do want to err on the side of simplicity for AotV where possible, and size-changing is already new territory, plus DBSA already has a lot going on even though it's not actually that complicated.)

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs