Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in custom storage for your Heroscape?
Yes 68 80.95%
No 16 19.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
New Storage, Custom made.

With Truth's consent, I will post up my latest plans on Storage. I'm still in the works on these but I'm also interested if anyone will want these. With the dilemma of the newer figures coming out and the Large expansion packs, I've come up with several different storage types.

They will all be made from Finnish Birch, stained and poly coated. Have lids, hinged, latched with a handle (except the card box) and felt interior.

Here they are
Card box at 5.25" w X 5.25" h X 10" long interior
General Specific at 12” W x 15” L x 3.5” H
Figure Storage 1 12” W x 24” L x 3.5” H
Figure Storage 2 12” W x 30” L x 7” H will have an area for Large Figures
Terrain Storage 1 12” W x 30” L x 3.5” H will fit about 4 MS
Terrain Storage 2 12” W x 30” L x 8” H will fit about 8+ MS* updated

Here is a few prototype pictures. I hope you will find interest and need in them. I really enjoy making these things.

The interior compartments are being worked out. I just want to get this out there and see what the interest is. I placed a poll to make it easier to see the replies.

The prices have not been determined, but they are not going to be astronomical. I'm trying to figure a way to make them affordable and durable. However, durability is my main focus.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Looks great, insomnimaniac! Looking forward to seeing more.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Looks great, insomnimaniac! Looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you Cavalier. I've got some things to work out over here, but the wife is ALL for it. I just hope the interest level is high enough to actually go forward with it.

Edit: I've got to add that they will store the Templar knights nicely, you'll be able to stand them up and not worry about them squeezed into a space.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I feel really silly now. I saw this in the storage thread and I thought it was a joke about how you store your one figure on a block of wood on a trashcan.

Personally, done really well, I think this is a fantastic idea. I love my current system, but there's a few units that just don't quite fit right. Something that is designed specifically for the units in game would be phenomenal.

I think my biggest problem would be flexibility. I've got a lot of stuff, but my favorite thing about my system is that it's usable and fairly flexible. When I get new units it's pretty easy to rearrange my storage to keep them organized.

I'd love to see the interior for this thing. That's probably my #1 concern. The work done on the outside looks great though. Nice job.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
The stuff looks great. I think many here might be interested. I use the large tupperware storage bins. It gets a little crazy I have over 5 master sets worth of terrian plus at least 2 of all the expansions so I am up to three of these containers so it would be far too costly for me to use your idea.

As the figures are plastic and durable, I just have them separated by "race" in plastic bags. I try to keep the themes together more than the actual who follows who. All Kyrie are together, but I have a bag for just the Army man, a bag for all samarai, one for all elves . . . you get the picture. With hundreds of minatures this makes it so much easier to find what you are looking for.

My terrain is stored in the tupperware storage containers as said above but I have them bagged as well so if you want to do a stone and ice mountain you will not have to sift through the other types of terrain to get what you want just find the right bag.

Your idea is probably neater but mine works for me.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
That looks really good. Is it for Figs or Terrain?

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
That looks really good. Is it for Figs or Terrain?
Both
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Customer <---
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
I've been working on a smilar sized storage idea... but not the box. Instead I have been trying to find a way to organize the figures within the box. And trying to make it universal to everyones pre-existing box be it wood, plastic, cardboard etc...

I was going to sell them with a simple card board box to start, for those that dont yet have a box, but that just felt too cheap... even though the box was a storage case with lid etc...

I had a foam-insert type of system to hold the figures. I could not find anyone willing or able to cut the pattern I designed... so I found a way to glue other parts together to make the pattern, but it limits me to stiffer foams. It was designed to let mimring fit but his feet and his shape made him and a few other pieces incompatible with the design, so I was thinking of just letting it work with the smaller figures and leave the big ones out, although if I used more flexible foam mimring would fit fine... I keep changing the design based on what is possible and what I can afford... and what type of Foam and foam cutting tools I can get my hands on, in the last few hours I changed it at least 3 times...

I was thinking of giving up on the idea... since I could not find a box for it, was thinking of using the woodshop in the garage to make boxes, but I dont want to make the box... just the foam inserts.... so... maybe the two ideas could be combined. I have access to a laser cutter so I was going to make glue-together boxes and ship them unassembled.

My foam insert concept was originally for my "Portable HeroScape Table & Storage Case" that was too big and expensive to bother producing...
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I'll probably use the fishing lure boxes that I now use, stored in plastic bins, inside the wooden boxes. I may take the lids off, though, and use them as trays. Not sure, not sure.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM

WOW, I'm honestly shocked at the outcome. I understand that they are not for everyone and I also acknowledge that not everyone can afford it and quite frankly, the Sterilite or Rubbermaid will be a cheaper route. I'm hoping that the compatibility of these to Heroscape and wargames in general will be the appeal. I personally hate that the dragons are stuck in the closet on the top shelf and not with the other figures. Also, I've got a friend that wants to play but can't leave her house much, so a nice portable case for everything works great.

Taelord, They will be for both separately. I'm actually working out a Figure and Terrain case, all in one. The only problem is that it is freaking HUGE.

Rev, thank you, you know, I can make a "tray" or carrier, it doesn't have to be stuck the the mentioned dimensions. I'm willing to do custom boxes to anyones specifications.

Draconious, if you are serious about this, email me and we'll discuss the possibility further.

Eclipse, Thank you. As I said, I know that people have their systems figured out, but keep me in mind, cool?

Ted, thank you and I understand. You know, I just might be able to come up with something that suits you!

Thanks to everyone that placed their vote (opinion). It means so much, I really do love making these. I'm a hands on kind of person and this fits me well. Thanks again for a positive outcome.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Make something that can store at least five of each common squad and big enough to accommodate 20 waves and I'll buy one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion