Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
How do I effectively use multiple Common Squads?

I know that the first step in common squad use is numbers, but I get bogged down when I try to use them in combat.

The main options that I see are to
  1. send 1 squad out and have it fight until death, advancing replacement figures as needed
  2. send 1 squad out, engage them, then advance another squad behind them to refill the ranks of the first
  3. send all the squads out one after another, slowly advancing the entire army until all of them can engage the enemy
My problem is that I have tried all three of these tactics, and none of them seem to work very well for me. Is there another option that I have missed? Or is one of these methods the best, and I should stick with it because eventually it will start to work? Or am I just doomed to always lose to my brother, no matter what I do? (And I know that he's reading this and laughing at me! )

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)

Last edited by Killometer; May 24th, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: reworded #1 for clarity
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker
Re: How do I effectively use multiple Common Squads?

I'm very glad that you asked this question. I honestly have alot of trouble managing this as well. I for one am not laughing (though I also assume others will be )

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

It really depends on which common squads you are using.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:52 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Melwing17-That was directed at my brother who's been lurking here, but anyone else that wants to laugh can-I have thick enough skin to take it.

Onacara-I haven't used a lot so far, mostly Stingers and Minions, but plenty more are on my list for the future-Microcorp, Protectors of Ullar, Gruts of all variety, Romans, Capuans, MRT, etc.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Melwing17-That was directed at my brother who's been lurking here, but anyone else that wants to laugh can-I have thick enough skin to take it.

Onacara-I haven't used a lot so far, mostly Stingers and Minions, but plenty more are on my list for the future-Microcorp, Protectors of Ullar, Gruts of all variety, Romans, Capuans, MRT, etc.
Choosing between the three options you mention is part of the skill of playing the game. There's no one easy answer.

On one level, moving forward in a mob is the best. When you lose figures, you don't lose attacks. There's no letup. But if your opponent disagrees and moves one squad repeatedly, that "reckless" squad has a good chance to jump up onto height first and attack your mob from a position of strength.

You mention playing Stingers. If your opponent has Iskra and Rechets, you might want to advance a strike force of three Stingers early in hopes of killing her before they can summon. If you're up against counterstrikers, refilling from the back becomes more attractive as opposed to moving the forward group, because the Stingers moving up from behind won't be engaged like those on point.

Or take Minions. If there's a glyph you want badly, beelining one squad of Minions toward it marker after marker is going to be required, what with that four move. But after you own it, moving the glyph-holder forward to attack and then jumping another minion onto the glyph from behind can be a sweet move.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:34 AM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

When using multiple commons, most often I use the 10th Foot, I tend to move the second or third row out first and progress three waves at once to get them started. From there, I gauge whether or not I need to move quicker to the glyphs or fill in the ranks. The advantage of the 4 figure squads over 3's is that even with the loss of one....you still have more effect with whats left. This allows me to use advantageous positions with only three figures (wait then fire) instead of advancing. The other nice factor of the 10th is the melee option that makes advancing rear units while engaging with leading units viable. That versatility (ease of play) makes them preferred over the 4th Mass for me.

The preference for melee units in my armies is for faster units (monks or wolves) because I have a similar flexibility with them as well.

I dont have rdhight's patience - the Minions would drive me batty. I would probably be more of the firing off individual waves of Minions only to bring replacements in as needed. (I have done this with Sentinels but have only had spotty success with their defense....)

With swarming armies in particular, you will rely on numbers to win - and should be able to function more or less independent of glyphs. Even if the opponent moves to it quickly, bring your army to bear with patience and it should be a matter or a turn or two before you have pried him/her off the glyph. With your bulk army in place, the glyph is yours for the game now.

Using two or three squads, as opposed to mass swarms, makes a different challenge - but often involves bonding so the process of moving this portion of your army en masse works very similar still.

Also to consider, if your opponent has an army of commons across from you - taking one of your monks, wolves or minions forward makes them alter their plans. Even if you split the squad and send only one or two figures forward, grab the glyph or detour part of his army in the process while you move the other two or three figures of the squad into place. You progress slowly this way with the bulk but have the opponent directing whole OMs at stopping that one or two figures breaking away.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

As mentioned, it depends a lot on the armies involved (both yours and your opponent's) and the map, but my usual default strategy is number 3, the slow roll.

If you're consistently getting your maximum number of attacks in, you're doing it right. (Or 3/4 with a melee squad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Killometer, it's not clear from the way you describe it, so I want to make sure you understand that you can activate any three stingers, or any four romans, each activation. You don't have to break them down into groups by squad size and activate them only in those groups. So, you could activate one stinger that's already up front, and two that are trailing behind that you haven't activated yet, in a single turn.

I also agree that, in general, the slow roll is best.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Your first option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer
send 1 squad out and have it fight until death, at which point send out another squad
works really well with the 10th Regiment of Foot on a large map. You sent them out and take out any stragglers with the bayonet. Or set up a little camp on a bridge.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubafication View Post
Your first option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer
send 1 squad out and have it fight until death, at which point send out another squad
works really well with the 10th Regiment of Foot on a large map. You sent them out and take out any stragglers with the bayonet. Or set up a little camp on a bridge.
And here, I'd think the exact opposite. If you send out one squad of the 10th foot, Nilfheim or Q9 will blow them up, and then you've got no map control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

It actually worked really well for me. I ran into hiding spots with the 10th so the figures had to come to me. It really helps with map control in my mind, then the opponent thinks twice before sending his valuable Omnicrons through the middle of the map. I think of it like the Civil war. Trains were a great deal in the Civil War, so Stonewall Jackson sent a small brigade of troops to take over the train. They then blew up the tracks so that they couldn't transport troops or artillery anymore. It really made the enemy isolated and then you could set up a defense and slowly move closer to the enemy and corner them. How I'm thinking of it is the small squad is your small brigade, they derail the train, your other army can now slowly move in.
Touché with the Dragon thing, I had already killed Braxas in my match, so maybe that wouldn't work as well as I had expected.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.

Last edited by tubafication; June 23rd, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

In general, tubafication, it's not going to work well. If I manage to kill a single figure, then you're unable to attack with a full activation. The 10th are almost the archetypal example of an army that works best when bringing up all the reserves close behind the first wave.

Unless your opponent is using Emirroon, I don't see how the "train derailment" analogy works at all.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles