Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2022, 01:26 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

So this isn't looking good. HeroQuest funded so fast it was hitting tier goals during the live show.

They focused too much on returning players. They're trying to entice us with a ton of units, but they've overlooked the terrain. The terrain was a huge draw for new players, and even people who just want it for other games. A cheaper set with only 30 minis and a highlight on the terrain would have been more appropriate. There's hardly even any info on the terrain tiles in the whole description

The price is fine for what is included, but that's from the perspective of a HS player. Its a horrible price if I just wanted the terrain. And its just because you have to buy 71 minis to get the tiles. Its also pretty expensive if you've never played HS before and don't know how good it is. Its just too big of a bundle.

So they can either double down on the returning players, and show some army cards to build more excitement, or play up the terrain, which is barely mentioned.

Either way, the numbers aren't looking good. They're actually pretty bad right now. Hopefully if it doesn't fund they can sell the army cards and 3D printing files of the figures or something so all that work isn't wasted.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 01:53 AM

TerminX knows what's in an order marker TerminX knows what's in an order marker TerminX knows what's in an order marker

I wonder if it's not too late to offer a lite buy-in. that's definitely the kind of thing I'd be looking into if I were Hasbro/AH right now. 250 is a steal for the amount of content in this set but I recognize people with less disposable income might be more comfortable with a lower cost & less stuff in the box

10% on day 1/45 sounds cautiously good to me, but I'm aware that crowdfunds usually have their biggest days right at the start. Hopefully this will spread by word of mouth once advertising and youtubers start picking it up, but I think all of us need to be very annoying about this game with all our friends for the next month and a half

By the way, coverage from a sufficiently famous youtuber can explode your numbers any time in the campaign (check out this data from another project I backed). If anybody has any connections to any board gaming or mini painting personalities, now might be the time to call in a favor

crab?
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:08 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurrig View Post
I was charged $30 for shipping, did I make a mistake here?
Cancel your pledge and resubmit it. You'll get free shipping. There was an error early on with the shipping charge.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:09 AM

mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I'm officially in, but I'm a little concerned about the 8k backer target.

Does anybody have any hot ideas as to how to get the word out a little more widely about the campaign?

There are plenty of people out there, myself included, who have been in and out of the community over the last decade or so. I found out about AoA thanks to a random, nostalgia-motivated, YouTube search, and I could have easily missed it all. I feel like there have to be people out there that would readily back the campaign, but for whatever reason aren't lurking in boardgame forums as much these days.

I said this in a post earlier, but we should all make it a goal to get Heroscape: Age of Annihilation trending on Boardgamegeek's Hotness list. It is not uncommon to see projects trending high on the list for games that are not released yet due to Kickstarters that are running. And even getting it low on the list will at least get it 'visible' to a lot of old Heroscape fans--and just board game fans in general--who have no clue that Heroscape is being revived. And then hopefully that will start a chain reaction to boost it up the Hotness List even more! Since you asked, here's some things everyone can do:

1. Go to the game's home page on BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...e-annihilation
    • simply by going there you are helping the algorithm know that people are showing an interest, even if you are not logged in as a user. Good job, you helped out!
  2. Log in as a user. If you don't have a user account, it just takes a minute. And why wouldn't you have a user account -- what, you don't like board games?
  3. Like and subscribe. Just like youtube. On the game's main page on BGG, there is a heart button and a subscribe button right on each (I've never used those previously, but in this case, I'll do it)
  4. Add it to your collection as Owned or Wishlist. And you don't have to rate it yet, but you could add a comment such as "backed the crowdfunding campaign" or "excited to get this" if, in fact, you are.
  5. Make some posts in the forums. If you scroll down a bit on the game's home page, you can ask some questions or just post in the threads.
    • Craig or Chris (Encarmine) would be really smart to be answering a bunch of questions over there, and also posting a lot of photos of what's being offered.
    • I'm convinced that if all of the heroscapers who had posted in this very thread (157 pages as I type this) had instead been posted over there, Age of Annihilation would already be #1 on the Hotness list. Most games with Kickstarter campaigns don't have the benefit of already having a nice website with forums (like Heroscapers.com), so they post over at BGG. In this specific case, it may unintentionally be hurting our cause because it is not drawing the attention of new eyeballs, which seems to be what a lot of the Avalon Hill marketing and design plan has been about so far. (If it was just for old fans, they would have just filled gaps in existing factions.)
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:11 AM

mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby! mee likey rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry, one more thing.
I'm thinking another huge potential market is all the people out there who just love collecting and painting miniatures just for the sake of . . . painting miniatures (ugh, I know, right? ) While I am not one of them, I know there are many. Not all of them do it just for Warhammer or D&D, they do it just because. I believe there are many miniatures collector/painters who would back this campaign just to get the awesome-looking minis, maybe even to repurpose for other games.

Think about that. Wouldn't that be the ultimate ironic twist of fate, if the Heroscape community, known for pilfering miniatures from every other prepainted miniatures line in existence to use them as customs, ends up having to rely on people, for the survival of the future of Heroscape, who plan to use these new Heroscape minis for *gasp* other games!

There are some miniature-painting Youtube content creators (i.e. Squidmar, Miniac) who have hundreds of thousands of followers. And they also usually have little sponsor shout-outs in each of their videos. Avalon Hill marketing guys (Intergalactic Patrick, etc), Please consider sponsoring a few of those videos...if it is in your budget. Cool. Thank you!

Last edited by mee likey; October 2nd, 2022 at 02:15 AM. Reason: emphasis
Old October 2nd, 2022, 03:04 AM

TerminX knows what's in an order marker TerminX knows what's in an order marker TerminX knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee likey View Post
  1. Go to the game's home page on BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...e-annihilation
    • simply by going there you are helping the algorithm know that people are showing an interest, even if you are not logged in as a user. Good job, you helped out!
  2. Log in as a user. If you don't have a user account, it just takes a minute. And why wouldn't you have a user account -- what, you don't like board games?
  3. Like and subscribe. Just like youtube. On the game's main page on BGG, there is a heart button and a subscribe button right on each (I've never used those previously, but in this case, I'll do it)
  4. Add it to your collection as Owned or Wishlist. And you don't have to rate it yet, but you could add a comment such as "backed the crowdfunding campaign" or "excited to get this" if, in fact, you are.
  5. Make some posts in the forums. If you scroll down a bit on the game's home page, you can ask some questions or just post in the threads.
    • Craig or Chris (Encarmine) would be really smart to be answering a bunch of questions over there, and also posting a lot of photos of what's being offered.
    • I'm convinced that if all of the heroscapers who had posted in this very thread (157 pages as I type this) had instead been posted over there, Age of Annihilation would already be #1 on the Hotness list. Most games with Kickstarter campaigns don't have the benefit of already having a nice website with forums (like Heroscapers.com), so they post over at BGG. In this specific case, it may unintentionally be hurting our cause because it is not drawing the attention of new eyeballs, which seems to be what a lot of the Avalon Hill marketing and design plan has been about so far. (If it was just for old fans, they would have just filled gaps in existing factions.)
Just did all of this. We all gotta be the worker bees on this one, folks.

crab?
Old October 2nd, 2022, 03:06 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I think there need to be some videos and pics using the collections we already have to show what the HeroScape line can REALLY do.

I think the only reason I would do as small of a display as they had at GenCon and even at PulseCon is to somehow not disappoint people by how little will be in the Release.

Dig out some Dr. Weirdscaper pics, make a video about 2000 point armies duking it out on a huge map with 40+ terrain elevation difference between the highest and lowest points, trees, jungle, bridges, lava and ice. Talk more about the potential of a HeroScape return, because the future of a HeroScape return is definitely more promising and amazing than just this one set. THAT will probably be my motivating factor for backing, and not necessarily that I need this set.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 04:51 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Two questions about Haslab as I haven't been involved with it up to now:

1. Would they include some Stretch Goals if we don't quite reach the last ones? Other comperable crowdfunders I've backed have almost always done this, but I heard of a Haslab that did not.

2. Are the Avalon Hill team going to post more details about the offering before (and hopefully after) it funds? If so, here and on BGG or on Haslab itself?
Old October 2nd, 2022, 04:55 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I don't think this campaign is going to follow the usual backing profile of super response on the first and last days. My gut tells me that it will build over time steadily instead, as the word really needs to get out. I have backed a good dozen crowdfunders as a board gamer, but never even heard of Haslab before this, which seems to be mostly about toys I don't care about at all, (except for Heroquest, which I personally would not back, as I already owned it long ago when it first came out)!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I don't think this campaign is going to follow the usual backing profile of super response on the first and last days. My gut tells me that it will build over time steadily instead, as the word really needs to get out.

Good enough for me. I'm going with Chas's gut! Anyone else?
Old October 2nd, 2022, 07:37 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post

They focused too much on returning players. They're trying to entice us with a ton of units, but they've overlooked the terrain. The terrain was a huge draw for new players, and even people who just want it for other games. A cheaper set with only 30 minis and a highlight on the terrain would have been more appropriate. There's hardly even any info on the terrain tiles in the whole description

The price is fine for what is included, but that's from the perspective of a HS player. Its a horrible price if I just wanted the terrain. And its just because you have to buy 71 minis to get the tiles. Its also pretty expensive if you've never played HS before and don't know how good it is. Its just too big of a bundle.
I think you're right about this. A smaller option would have made this game widely available to the market that was being sought out.

If memory serves the 71 Figures is more than ROTV+SOTM and the D&D master sets figure counts. That's a lot to ask for a dad to invest in for his kids. What does Risk cost these days?

While it's great value for what is being offered (I think that's a given) it's also a lot to ask someone who doesn't know the value of the game. And simply stating they should look it up, is kinda like asking about a hobo's past employment to wash a windshield. While some of you can throw around $250 for games as you feel like it. It's still a lot for parents who have kids at home.

I only hope there's enough of us "returning" (or as in my case the "never left") folks out there to fund this thing and while I think there is, they'll be slow to come out and back this.

I was also a little gobsmacked that, while boring to us, they did not show how the terrain fits together, what terrain comes in the box and how the walls stack and fit together. But when I realized they're going after the nostalgic group it made more sense.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; October 2nd, 2022 at 07:40 AM. Reason: I never mentioned lack of paint once...aren't you proud of me...oh! Dang it!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 07:58 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mee likey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I don't think this campaign is going to follow the usual backing profile of super response on the first and last days. My gut tells me that it will build over time steadily instead, as the word really needs to get out.

Good enough for me. I'm going with Chas's gut! Anyone else?
Hah hah, I'll follow Chas's gut too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion