Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: What got you into Heroscape?

As far as HeroScape being a "gateway" game; I have to add the counter experience in my case. Before HeroScape, I dabbled in a lot of games, from ACW miniatures (like Johnny Reb), to the standard board games (except no one I know nearby will play Scrabble with me any more), and the classic games. Before HeroScape I was really involved in the time-sucks of Railroad Tycoon, Balder's Gate, Diablo, and Civilization (all versions) on the computer. Before that were all the TSR ADD computer games, going back to the Commodore 64. Before and during that I'd gotten hooked on YGI! and British Legends on CompuServe (when on-line time was $6 an hour!). (That takes my gaming history back to 1982 (before a bunch of you were even born) and my first Vic-20 computer. Early enough.) But once I got hooked on HeroScape, all those other games (except Scrabble at family reunions) fell away. So, for me HeroScape was not a gateway, but an exit game...exiting into the wonderful land of 'Scape.

Which does bring up, obliquely, the subject of GenCon. Some go, rightly for them, to see all the different games. I go for HeroScape. It's good either way.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Heroscape is definitely not always a gateway game. Like Rev I played numerous other games (many more "complicated") before getting into HS. I like it b/c it is relatively simple and easy to play (I have kids now, so that is part of it--but I also just enjoy that I'm not cracking open a D&D tome or even just a 24 page rulebook every 20-30 minutes...).

I got into HS the Christmas it first came out--my wife bought it for me (I think she regrets that a bit these days...but she still plays with me) and we have played ever since. Except for when we were moving from AZ to FL (it was sad to box up the Scape...), there has pretty much always been an ongoing game in our house.

I still play other games as well, but HS is the one that gets the most consistent play--and I don't see myself going from it into anything else. It is just right for me and my family.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

The high quality of the sculpts, the game platform, the affordability and the diversity of sets are the 4 things that attracted by at first. I had seen the big display of the master set for over a year a few times before I bought. I bought it after I saw the 4th Mass and the Ninja set, both of which caught my attention.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM

outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch View Post
The high quality of the sculpts, the game platform, the affordability and the diversity of sets are the 4 things that attracted by at first. I had seen the big display of the master set for over a year a few times before I bought. I bought it after I saw the 4th Mass and the Ninja set, both of which caught my attention.
Man, too bad the ninjas are not a common squad. We learned the hard way and bought 2 sets of 'em not knowing any better at the time when we first started playing.

SCAPE OR DIE!
Great transactions with: Cavalier,Jim,rudyvalentine,Hilo Scaper,land.scape,Lord Pyre,Cosmo,Hogg,TheSilverSurfer,lefton4ya,Superfrog wargamingaddict87...
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
except no one I know nearby will play Scrabble with me any more
Rev I will pack my travel edition for GenCon and buy you the beverage of your choice to enjoy while we play.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Rev I will pack my travel edition for GenCon and buy you the beverage of your choice to enjoy while we play.
Word!
(That's the only time I've ever used that expression, but it just seemed so very right in reference to Scrabble. <grin>)

Oh, the reason no one around here will play against me is not because I am particularly good. It is because I become incredibly violent when I see the letters "n" or "t." I hope this doesn't change your mind about the possible game. <laughing>
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My story is pretty boring, compared to some of you, but heh, it's all good.

I used to be a big D&D fan in the 1980's but then I went away to college and couldn't find people to play with. And the time, I got so tired of games that lasted for days on end... and then pretty much were only as good as the dungeonmaster... and would be easy if the dungeonmaster was trying to coax you to play, impossible if he felt mean...

So I stopped playing. And then a few years ago my nephew bought me HS for my birthday. How did he know? Well how did his dad (my bro) know? D&D + Action Figures + Legos! I've always been passionate about all three and here they were, combined in one... marvelous... package!!!!

I was hooked right away, but had a hard time finding people to play with. This community really has kept my interest up through the rough times. Now I have a fairly stable but small group. I expect it will get larger and larger as time goes by. No one who has enjoyed the first game has ever stopped coming back.

Last edited by Kroc; April 22nd, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't really have a big gaming background. The only games we used to play on a consistent basis were Heroquest and later Talisman, but most of the time it was an excuse for us to get together and get rowdy with some adult beverages. Always wanted to play a Minis game but didn't want to paint anything and I didn't want a blind purchase game. I needed a game that had simple rules that we could break out and have a good time with while getting rowdy. Heroscape fills niche nicely. As an additional bonus, when you spill beer on the board it doesn't get warped
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM

outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
I don't really have a big gaming background. The only games we used to play on a consistent basis were Heroquest and later Talisman, but most of the time it was an excuse for us to get together and get rowdy with some adult beverages. Always wanted to play a Minis game but didn't want to paint anything and I didn't want a blind purchase game. I needed a game that had simple rules that we could break out and have a good time with while getting rowdy. Heroscape fills niche nicely. As an additional bonus, when you spill beer on the board it doesn't get warped
Right on to that! I've spilt all kinds of beer, soda, soup, hot cigarette ashes, etc. hell, just throw the pieces in a colander and spray 'em off.

SCAPE OR DIE!
Great transactions with: Cavalier,Jim,rudyvalentine,Hilo Scaper,land.scape,Lord Pyre,Cosmo,Hogg,TheSilverSurfer,lefton4ya,Superfrog wargamingaddict87...
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM

New motto:
HeroScape, the game for smokin' drunks of all ages!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Word!
(That's the only time I've ever used that expression, but it just seemed so very right in reference to Scrabble. <grin>)

Oh, the reason no one around here will play against me is not because I am particularly good. It is because I become incredibly violent when I see the letters "n" or "t." I hope this doesn't change your mind about the possible game. <laughing>
Not at all Rev...but we need to set the groundrules that QEZJEX is a legal word but only when I use it.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM

whipmaster is surprisingly tart

i got in 2 scape from the tv ad back when there was only rotv

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
YOU don't seem very good.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion