Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 27th, 2013, 02:05 PM
worthless thread clother

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Bacchus' Maps & Scenarios

Well met!

This looks a lot like the kind of map chas would build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus View Post

The basic win condition is victory points, attained at the end of a round by having a unit standing on or or adjacent to a wellspring (the water surrounded by raised hexes) without being engaged or an opponents figure also in the same wellspring. I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 points, but that may differ depending on the number of players.

Start zones - I don't think I will have specific start zones; I'm thinking that once a player places his first unit anywhere, all further units have to be adjacent, but units can't be placed on glyphs or wellsprings.

So if you were playing on this map, which wellspring would you want to obtain first? Then where would you head? Which seems easiest? Your feedback can help me fix any areas that aren't so balanced. I've also got a couple of trees and a 1-hex rock outcrop left, so any thoughts on where they could go to help with any line of sight problems would also help. I also have some extra tiles for some extra height here and there.

Thanks.
Does the lack of Start Zones mean this is being played as Heat of Battle? If so, I'd go for the highest points first - especially the Wellspring that is on Dungeon terrain on the upper left of the map shown. I'd draft some units to take advantage of the Castle Walkway near the left-hand bridge, too. If I had control of both of these, I'd then focus on controlling the upper left-hand quadrant of the map. As cool as they may look, both of these terrain features skew the scenario in favor of flyers -especially the Castle Walkway. The Dungeon height can be gotten around if one focuses on the rest of the map, but the Castle Walkway is too centrally located to ignore. You could maintain these features, without the excessive height, by replacing the Pillars with 2-3 levels of normal terrain. In an early version of Out of the Swamp!, I had a number of Towers and quite a bit of Pillar-supported height.

In the final version, while there are still height variations, eschewing Pillars makes drafting flyers less advantageous, while preserving the Castle Walkway/Battlement coolness.

Next case . . .

Old March 27th, 2013, 07:54 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Given the dungeon was likely to be the most defensible, I didn't put any permanent glyphs too close (the nearest one is on the opposite side of a ruin so it can't be covered or contested from the height). Perhaps I should move it a bit further away still.

I might look at lowering the pillars using other terrain while still using the battlements as you suggested. The main purpose here was to try and make the lava area difficult to approach, to offset the fact that you can't just camp units around the wellspring as a defense (unless you want to roll for lava damage). I think it is strong, but perhaps not as 'centrally located' as you indicate. It covers one of the bridges and the road approaching the bridge from the dungeon area, but you can contest all of the other wellsprings without having to travel on those or getting within range.

I was thinking similar to Heat of Battle for placing your first unit, but once your first unit is placed, the rest have to be adjacent to one of your units. For this scenario in a multiplayer game I think common sense would dictate not starting right next to someone else; if you start the game fighting with an opponent and one or more other players has free reign for the first few rounds while you are duking it out, it would likely set you behind in both victory points and units.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:37 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

I've been working on a few maps that I want to make into a Jandar campaign, with scenarios that may limit you to specific units or have fun elements to the scenario. I've done a couple of tests on this first one. I think I need to make some adjustments, but thought I'd get some feedback before I run more tests. I'll include everything I started with, even though I know I'm going to cut some of it.

Scenario
Note : This is a campaign map. Only Player 2 should read the instructions. Any paragraph beginning with HIDDEN is not to be described to Player 1 before the game begins.

Goal : Swarms of Gruts have been hampering Jandar supply lines. Jandar forces have decided to collapse the caves in which the Gruts live, while the Orcs are hellbent of defeating this invading force.

Setup : The shadow spaces are the cave entrances. Player 1's figures can not stand on a shadow space.

Player 1's army must consist of 400 points, and may only choose units who follow Jandar. Raelin may not be chosen.

Player 2's army consists of 1 Swog Rider, 1 Tornak, 2 squads of Arrow Gruts, and 2 squads of Blade Gruts.

Special Rules : At the end of each round, if Player 1 has a figure adjacent to a cave entrance and is not engaged, that cave is destroyed. Remove the shadow tile from the battlefield.

At the beginning of each round before order markers are placed, Player 2 may place any combination of 2 previously destroyed Arrow Gruts or Blade Gruts on the battlefield. They must be placed on or adjacent to a cave.

HIDDEN : At the end of the 4th round, Player 2 may add Mimring to his army, summoned by the Gruts. Place Mimring anywhere on the battlefield.

Victory : Player 1 wins if all of the cave entrances are destroyed. Player 2 wins if Player 1's army is defeated.

---

Playtests
To start I chose 3 squads of Knights of Weston, Finn, and Airborne Elite. The Airborne dropped first round, and I placed them at the back. Jandar lost initiative, so a couple of the AE got killed, and the remainder had figures adjacent so couldn't get off any grenades. It went downhill from there. With 2 Gruts coming back every round, Player 2 was recouping most of what was lost and the Knights couldn't punch through Tornak.

For the second game, I dropped it to one extra unit at the end of the round for Player 2. The Airborne got off some great grenades and that was really the clincher. It was easy to clear out the remaining units once that happened. Only 3 Knights were lost and an Airborne.

For the third game, I swapped out the Airborne for Eldgrimm and Johnny Shotgun Sullivan, thinking his shotgun blast would work well against the Orcs hanging around the caves, but I played him poorly and he found himself always with one Grut adjacent; if he killed it, another took his place while 2 or 3 other Gruts did their damage elsewhere on the board.

Thoughts
So my thoughts so far is that despite the second game win it seems favoured to the Gruts, and I'm trying to think about how to compensate for that. I like giving them the choice between both types of Gruts. If I took one away, I think it becomes a lot more boring. I could take away Tornak which might help.

Mimring coming in at round 4 seems completely unnecessary. It seemed like a good idea to give the Arrow Gruts a bonding option for when the Swog Rider went down, but they don't need the help. Raelin also can't be chosen as I've got a future scenario where you rescue her.

I didn't think the map needed much height, with the Gruts starting with advantage. I'm wondering whether a few single or doubled spaced tiles might be warranted so that Jandar ranged units can go toe to toe on the same height. The Grut player could try and advance and take those positions to deny them to the Jandar player, but needs to move his armies away from the caves to do so.

I've also got a couple of Rock Formations I could use. Not really sure where would be best, if I use them.

Finally, I think some of the Water could change. The Water tile closest to the right-side cave could change to a land tile. That area got clogged up when approached, and that could help the Jandar player flank around and possibly get up on the height a little easier.

Mainly I want to ensure that there are meaningful decisions for the players. This did come out a bit during testing. As the Grut Player, how many of your forces do you keep at each cave? As the Jandar player, do you keep pushing for that cave where all of your forces are amassed, or try and make a mad dash for one that isn't so well protected? All thoughts appreciated.
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:54 PM

Well, it's been a long time since I've attempted to make a map! Now that I'm getting back into Heroscape, I was inspired by Dignan's Scraps format to make a small footprint Heat of Battle map so I can keep some maps on the table ready for ad-hoc games. I built Breeze, but it looks like that format didn't really take off. Thought I would try and pair the other half of the RotV set with the lava set.

I figured that with melee being a bit better, height didn't matter so much, and maybe this is where overhangs wouldn't be unbalanced for ranged / flying figures. So I got started, and realised that one of the challenges with using the lava set with the Scraps rules is the lack of line of sight blockers. Looking for feedback on progress so far, and any other general tips for Heat of Battle maps (I haven't had the opportunity to play any yet).

A few things to note so far:
- I haven't put any glyphs down, but I'm thinking under the overhang (perhaps Wannok to get people off their perches), something on level 2 rock on the other lava field, and the far end of the the level 1 'gully'.
- It's probably not very friendly to ground based 2-hex figures, who will probably have difficulty reaching the overhang area (if they don't start there)
- I have a fair bit of terrain left to fill gaps or level the field; 24 hex rock (using this would mean drastically changing the map of course), 2-hex sand, 1-hex sand, 2-hex grass, 8x 1-hex grass, 1-hex rock, 5x 1-hex lava rock, 11 molten lava, plus water.
- The ruin could probably be moved to a few orientations in the general area; mainly I was looking to protect figures on that lava field from ranged figures on the higher lava field.

https://imgur.com/XFvxQrt
https://imgur.com/xjCAVsQ
https://imgur.com/xjCAVsQ

EDIT: Not sure if I did something wrong, but couldn't seem to get the images to link directly from imgur?

Last edited by bacchus; November 18th, 2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Photos didn't work.
Old November 19th, 2017, 02:46 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death! superfrog is hot lava death!

[IMG ]https://i.imgur.com/xjCAVsQ.png[ /IMG]

without spaces gives you this:

Cool map!
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:41 AM

Hmmm... I think the problem is that I was copying the image link without the extension.

I haven't been able to play it yet, but I added 4 grass tiles to level 1 near the Glyph of Wannok and overhang. I figured the previous design didn't allow double-spaced figures any room to get down there, and it now gives figures on top of the lava field the ability to drop down into engagement with a figure holding the glyph.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios