Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
We generally use the intiative glyph like this....

If you want to stand on it, you can use it over and over, but the figure that's on it can't do anything.

If you want to pick it up, you can, and then you can cash it in once, later in the game, and use it then.
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:25 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Only too many glyphs

I think only too many glyphs OR glyphs placed too close to a starting zone can break the glyphs.

If your are playing a game with glyphs and none of the above two situations are occuring. Any glyph deemed to be "too powerful" or one that you think puts you at an almost insurmountable disadvantage means you should probably direct all of your efforts at either securing that glyph or eliminating your opponent from it.

Mystery glyphs in this way certainly have the impact of changing the flow not only the fight, but the flow of the battlefield. It certainly adds interest.

We've played a few games with 2 mystery glyphs. They were in the middle of the board but on low ground between high valleys. We only went for the glyphs when we had a figure that really had no better option.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:51 PM

Roufus has disabled reputation
The way we play around our house makes the range glyph a little more subdued.
It only works for the squad/character standing on it at the time, not EVERYBODY.
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I mentioned in another glyph thread (thought it was this one, but I had a few tabs open) that I read somewhere (codex maybe) the idea of putting Ivor on low lying ground. If it is around a lot of LOS obstructions it is a lot less broken. Sure Dan is standing on the glyph, getting +4 range, but he can only reliably target figs 3-4 spaces away due to the ruins and trees.
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
I mentioned in another glyph thread (thought it was this one, but I had a few tabs open) that I read somewhere (codex maybe) the idea of putting Ivor on low lying ground. If it is around a lot of LOS obstructions it is a lot less broken. Sure Dan is standing on the glyph, getting +4 range, but he can only reliably target figs 3-4 spaces away due to the ruins and trees.
Sure but your whole army benefits from it so why would you use Dan to claim it? I would claim it with some other troop.
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:16 AM

fejkl Woo who?
There are times when I don't even want initiative. I think that for that reason alone the glyph is not broken.
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann
Sure but your whole army benefits from it so why would you use Dan to claim it? I would claim it with some other troop.
I was just using Dan as an extreme example of long range made longer trying to hold the range glyph in the middle of a forest. If that were the actual layout, I'd bring in a nice melee figure and/or defensive behemoth. Make it so a figure on the glyph is not at some extreme advantage when an opponent attacks the glyph. That way we don't have a scenario where the highest point on the map has the range glyph and no reasonable LOS obstuctions. I guess an analogy would be that Raelin isn't a defensive tank.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
No, the initiative glyph isn't broken. You can choose to stand on it or not, so can your opponent. If you both are great at rolling 20-siders then the game won't hang on who holds it. However, someone with a horde army might want to control it so that his mass of relatively low attack and defense figures have the edge that striking first gives them. As the opponent, denying that edge is important to your success. I've held this glyph and lost just as often as I've held it and won.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM

aielman has disabled reputation
Glyphs in general are broken, depending on the team they can ALL be used to decimate the opponent. And honestly I actually think the iniative is the LEAST "broken" of them. But thats the whole point of glyphs is to give whoever is holding it a large advantage to force the battle in different directions.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
No, it's not broken. Sure, the person with the glyph will go first 80% of the time, but it doesn't seem to have a major effect on the outcome of the battle. We almost always use this glyph and I haven't noticed the player with the glyph winning a lot more. Heck, I think if any glyph is too powerful, it's the Range +4. That one scares me more than any other.

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The +4 Range glyph seems to be the glyph that gives more people heartburn. How about changing the glyph to work something like this:

Glyph of Ivor (revised):
For each figure you control with a Range number of 4 or more and with 4 spaces of the Glyph of Ivor, add 4 to the Range number.

This way it's a localized effect but still a viable glyph. Of course, the area of effect could be increased or decreased as each group sees fit.

Newb.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM

DJ Ducki has disabled reputation
For the initiative glyph me and my friends actually altered it a bit. Instead of being +8 to initiative, it allows a figure to temporarly use a single fireline-style attack (as if the figure was casting a lightning bolt spell.) The figure must stay on the glyph to use it, and if they move off it and don't use the attack, the glyph dies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's