Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:51 PM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Islandscape is Here!

I had a nice time. I came to play scape and come in at least not last and instead of second to last, I came in second to first!

Huge kudos to Warbanner for putting the show on for the rest of us and I think I'll spill some thoughts about my list and some thoughts about my matches.

I brought 4 units of 10th regiment and Taelord (with Isamu as filler). The idea is I'll always throw 4 sets of 3 dice or better, quantity and quality.

There were 5 armies that I didn't want to face. Two were 4x 4th Mass and Charos, one was 3x 10th, Hydra, and filler, and two were variations on Mezzo's. I managed to dodge all but one of those.

First round I was against Chris, a newer player. He brought Zelrig, two units of blade Gruts and Grimnak. Immediately I saw a Z-Bomb coming my way and my poor 10th wouldn't fare well. However, for the first round, he played his Gruts and Grimnak, getting one unit and Grim way out of position. They sort of became my shooting gallery and fell quickly, while I lost a little over a card of 10th. By the time Zelrig came in, I was spread out enough that it didn't matter.

Round 2 was against Orcelfarmyone. He had Charos, Nilfheim, and Atlaga. All of which were rough on my army in different ways. Round 1 featured Nilfheim rushing my start zone, killing 2 10th. I dealt him 4 wounds. Round 2 featured Nilf removing 2 more and I finished him off. Round 3 and 4 had Charos rushing in but good attack rolls on my part and bad defense rolls on his meant I took him down. Play of the game was a 10th getting height, bayonet charge, and Taelord, throwing 5 dice, 4 skulls, to his 1 shield, finishing the dragon with attacks to spare. Atlaga didn't really get to go, he killed one 10th and died. We had 40ish minutes left in the round, so it was fast.

Round 3 was myself against Dragonruler. He ran Sonlen, Raelin, and 4 squads of Mezzos. I saw my loss coming, this was a match I hoped to dodge. No special attacks. I killed Raelin at the third order marker of the first turn and plinked away. I caused him to use all of his exoskeleton markers, but I had 5 10th and Taelord against Sonlen and 2 Mezzos, so I saw the writing on the wall. My dice went from average to cold this game, and looking back, this loss was a good thing for me. If I won, I would have faced a mirror match or worse.

Round 4 was against Kolakoski (spelling?). He had 2 units of Knights with Gilbert, Radheim, and some worm thing. Radheim rushed up and I nearly killed him. A few whiffs against Radheim meant I wasn't takign him out and the knights were closing in. I killed them as best I could but they swarmed. The worm died fast. Taelord sat on 1 health this whole game from a good Radheim shot and he should have focused attacks on him for points, but I'm lucky he didn't. I won by less than I hoped to.

Round 5, the finals table. Due to point differentials, with mine being the highest for the 3-1 group, I made it to here. My opponent, the only 4-0, Dragonruler. Again. I saw second place in my future and really I was fine with that. I wasted two 10th on taking useless glyphs, when they could have been more useful charging or WTF shooting, but I was hopeful one glyph could have helped. they were Unique attack +1 and No Flying. There was a spot that I could have sat on height and turtled, but I totally ignored it until it was too late. I'm not really a turtle player, anyway. He won with 2 squads of mezzos, 1 exo marker, and Sonlen, who didn't even move. Could I have won if I did turtle? Maybe.

Things I learned:
Special attacks are really good. Like really, really good. I couldn't fit them comfortably, thought.
Always throwing at least 3 dice attacks is also really good. It's at the start of the curve where Defense 5 takes wounds or dies.
Height is super important. Super, super important.
Still, Wait than Fire and Taelord is still better than getting height and losing one of those bonuses.
Luck in dodging matches is so much better than skill in matches!
Defense 2 base is terrible. If I got attacked, I died. Luckily, speed 5, range 6, attack 3+ takes care of that most of the time.
Mezzos are good. I might need to buy more.
Taelord is also really good. Any attack he gets hit with is one less 10th who gets hit. He moved turn 1 and stayed put. 180 points in this format with this list was actually pretty nice, I didn't have to play under.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!

Last edited by The_X_Marker; September 18th, 2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: 10th. not 4th. glad Im living out some site nostalgia
Old July 24th, 2017, 11:32 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post

I'm sorry, superfrog. I was really looking forward to meeting a fellow C3V member in person. Some other time, perhaps.

Thanks to everyone who could come for making it another great Islandscape. Special shout out to the newcomers and some returning faces: @OrcElfArmyOne , @houndsrule , @Man_At_Arms and @Jet .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
A Wonderful Day of Light Comradely Gaming!

This year proved such a fun days of gaming! Getting to reunite with old pals, meeting new faces, and Scaping with creative scenario armies made for an exciting series of five games. Warbanner did a great job as usual of running things smoothly, we had cake when it was actually someone's birthday that we didn't even know about beforehand, and even the prize table was more interesting than usual. Everyone there helped make it an enjoyable community experience.

Six of us went out for dinner afterward at the local Panera Bread before two of us hit the LIRR train for home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I had a great time and it was great to see the people who made a long drive to come.
The fourth and final member of the Gang of Four chiming in . . .

Thanks to @Warbanner for stepping up to organize this year's event, and to all who participated. I, too, had a great time, was glad to see all the old and new faces - and was sorry not to get to meet Superfrog.

Old July 24th, 2017, 12:24 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Superfrog,

Sorry you car blew out and you missed the day. Since the LI Scape group doesn't meet anymore, if you don't want to wait another year to come up, you can arrange a weekend game day at my place in Brooklyn with the NYCG4 if you like. Just PM me if you have a couple of dates that would work for you this summer!
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for running it @WarBanner ! We had a great time like usual, and hope to be able to make it down again next year! It was great to play some Scape again with a great group. @superfrog , sorry you couldn't make it up; hopefully next year.
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

@WarBanner , I had an amazing time and my buddy got to play Heroscape for the first time in nearly a decade. Thanks for hosting! We have family in the area so it's always a great excuse to come up to see them / play Heroscape!
Old July 29th, 2017, 12:15 PM

WarBanner is surprisingly tart

Thanks for all the shoutouts, guys. It was my pleasure to run things, though I will say that if @Grishnakh wants to step back in and handle the communications side of things, that's fine by me. I had a great time as well, and was also sorry that @superfrog couldn't make it, but was really pleased with the turnout.

To those of you who trekked to LI for the game, we hope to see you again next year. Congrats to the winners, and I'll be posting armies and final rankings later today.

Krug rhymes with "hug", not "dude"
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:26 PM

Okay, it's a day later and almost 2 days later. But, here's the final standings. Army lists tomorrow. Really.

1) Dragon Ruler (5-0)
2) X Marker (3-2)
3) Sir Dendrik (4-1)
4) Sherman Davies (3-2)
5) Evil Mirror (4-1)
6) Jess (3-2)
7) Jet (3-2)
8) Houndsrule
9) OrcElfArmyOne
10) Kolakoski
11) Rich10
12) ManAtArms
13) Grishnakh
14) Taeblewalker
15) Acefrehley
16) Warbanner
17) Charley
18) Chris

Old July 31st, 2017, 06:16 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hey cool--now the big '17' on my trophy (for 2017) matches my ranking! The other members of The New York City Gang of Four did not do as well as they usually do, except for Sherman Davies, who upheld our group honor. Congrats, Sherm.

I saw part of his epic confrontation with an almost mirror army--his two Hydras and 4th Mass vs Charros and 4th Mass, which was exciting! I've never played a mirror game, although we have ocassionaly had one or two duplicate figures face each other, and once had 3 Agent Carr's on one of our giant battlefields at the same time. And speaking of which...

***(ADVERTISEMENT) Don't wait a year to play Heroscape again. Join a monthly game in Brooklyn with the NYCG4! Now in our Ninth Year of Scaping of all Types!***

Last edited by chas; July 31st, 2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:09 AM

In no particular order:
Jess - 4th Mass x4, Charos
Evil Mirror - 4th Mass x4, Charos
Dragon Ruler - Mezzodemons x4, Raelin (RotV), Sonlen
Chris - Zelrig, Ninjas, Grimnak, Blade Gruts x2
X Marker - 10th Reg x4, Taelord, Isamu
Houndsrule - Legionnaires x3, Marcus, Me-Burq-Sa, Iskra, Frost Giant, Isamu
Acefrehley - Spearmen x2, Count Raymond, Stingers x2, DW8k
OrcElfArmyOne - Nilfheim, Charos, Atalaga
Jet - Stingers x5, Ninjas, Crixus
Sir Dendrik - Nilfheim, Greenscale warriors x2, Mezzodemons x3
Sherman Davies - 10th Reg. x3, Fen Hydra x2, Marcu, Isamu
Kolakoski - Knights x2, Racheim, Sir Gilbert, Ashi Dhulu
Grishnakh - Pathfinder x3, Capt. Varan, Airborne, Deadeye, Syvarris, Theracus
Chas - Heracles, Racheim, Theracus, Warriors of Ashra x2
Man at Arms - Saylind, 20th Maine x3, Zetacron, Incediborgs
Taeblewalker - Vipers x2, Venoc Warlord, Zetacron, Snipers x2, Repulsors
Rich10 - Braxas, Axegrinders x4
Warbanner - Greyspears, Swiftfangs, KMA, Q9, Water Elemental

(full disclosure, I actually brought FIVE armies, all distinct, and selected one at random each round, before knowing who my opponent would be. You can see how well that turned out.)

Old July 31st, 2017, 10:22 AM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

Very interesting builds @WarBanner and Co! I suppose it's no mystery why the two players with Mezzodemons did well - everyone else loaded up on commons. :P
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBanner View Post
Thanks for all the shoutouts, guys. It was my pleasure to run things, though I will say that if @Grishnakh wants to step back in and handle the communications side of things, that's fine by me. I had a great time as well, and was also sorry that @superfrog couldn't make it, but was really pleased with the turnout.

To those of you who trekked to LI for the game, we hope to see you again next year. Congrats to the winners, and I'll be posting armies and final rankings later today.
Sorry Warbanner, it's your baby now. Perhaps someone else can step up and give you a hand with it. Regardless, thanks for organizing it this year. Great turn out and fun games.

And sorry I one shoted you with Deadeye Dan Chaz. It was bound to come up, it's just you were the lucky recipient!
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:37 AM

That's what my trophy says! And you helped me get it, so thanks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events