Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Mjolnir is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I must credit my beautiful fiancé and HS-addict Jenn for a simple, cheap, valuable idea:

5 height columns of land, 1 or 2 hex. It's great for map builders, cheap to produce, and automatically gives shelter and dimension opportunities for most squads.

After skimming this thread, I like the sci-fi terrain and customs alot also.

p.s. Welcome, WOTC dudes, stick around on this board and your 401K plans are guaranteed.
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:44 AM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker
...hate my computer...sorry for the double posting. Below is what I meant to say.

Back from the dead
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker
I stated this before under the "ways to expand HeroScape thread...but it fits here as well...

I think HeroScape should expand vertically. There should be mountain terrain pieces. This would be a much larger version of the glaciers in the tundra set, but it could be stackable. It it were large enough (24+ high), or depending on how they were stacked, it could include caves, paths around a mountain (imagine a true "king of the hill" scenario), swinging bridges, and snow-capped peaks or a true volcano (to incorporate existing terrain expansions). There could be mountain ranges and waterfalls. Boulders could be used as traps (or a dice-roll feature). If it were large/wide enough, hex pieces could be added to parts of the mountain to increase versatility.
Mountians could also provide new terrain-based advances or obstacles. Altitude could decrease some units' movement capabilities while enhancing others. Or, after so many turns for "non-mountain" units, pieces begin suffering height related illnesses (wounds/decreased movement/no "special powers") at the roll of the 20-sided die.
Mountain environments could play host to a variety of new squads or heros. Dwarves could inhabit the mountains, Rock/metal/mineral golems (Gold, silver, onyx, obsidian, diamond, etc.), a Yeti (not Dzu-Teh), snow themed, or alpine units (like the German WWII "Gebirgs jaeger'" or the US Army 10th Mountain Division)...I could see Vydar having a field-day with snow boarding/skiing agents.
I also like the idea of underwater scenes, mentioned throughout the thread; after all, they are fighting over pools. Why not fight in them once they have been reached? This could be achieved by special columns that could raise and support the primary terrain (above) so that underwater battles could take place below.

Back from the dead
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:06 AM

fourchinnigan is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Mountain Expansion:
Large terrain expansion. Large multi-hex terrain pieces with heights measuring 3-9 (they should be hollow). This way we can build large hills and mountains without buying dozens of master sets. I would also like to see it include large boulders and rocks (similar to the glacier treatment).
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
The game doesn't scale too well with large elevation changes. Non-flying melee units get completely and utterly hosed.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
The game doesn't scale too well with large elevation changes. Non-flying melee units get completely and utterly hosed.
This is very true, but I love the idea of a way to build elevation without using a bajillion master sets. It would be awesome to have a way to build a canyon-type map. Instead of flat maps with really high elevations you could make flat maps with really low parts and overhangs. I love bridges but they are such a hassle to build since they are so hex-greedy when you want to be able to put figs under it and get double-spaced figures on top.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Does anyone else agree that a Windmill with a seven hex base would be amazing?

EDIT: Especially if it was hollow with ladders going up to the top. Also, a lighthouse in the same manner would be cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido

EDIT: Especially if it was hollow with ladders going up to the top. Also, a lighthouse in the same manner would be cool too.
But a lighthouse would suggest an ocean, not sure that's realistic... guess WotC will have to get to work on some naval rules and PIRATES!
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Quote:

But a lighthouse would suggest an ocean, not sure that's realistic... guess WotC will have to get to work on some naval rules and PIRATES!
One could pull off a lighthouse set with a rocky beach and lots of water. It would probably have to be the size of the castle set though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Quote:

One could pull off a lighthouse set with a rocky beach and lots of water. It would probably have to be the size of the castle set though.
If you wanted to include all of the water along one side of the board, you could use ordinary terrain to represent half the board, including the shoreline and the inland zone. A jetty and some sand hexes representing sandbars could make the "ocean" navigable by non-Vipers and landable by fliers. A castle set built on a 7-hex base would satisfy the lighthouse requirement.

Old January 27th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
A light house would be excellent for my beach map. I have cliffs overlooking a stretch of beach and a cave from a small cove that goes through the cliffs. Having a lighthouse to put on top would be a great way to finish it off.

I'm seriously hoping we see a pirate/sea expansion. Besides getting more water tiles, it would be neat to see some ships, even if they are only row boats and things that move 2 or 3 spaces a turn.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I just tried designing a lighthouse. If you want to include the castle door, you need a base much bigger than the 7-hex. If you want it to be two stories it doesn't look out of proportion, you need two castle sets. It can be done, however.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion