Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
Desired New Terrain Features (summary, page 1)

If you guys are following the "Official Feedback Thread in the News section, you will see that an official WOTC representative is there answering questions and looking for specific answers to what we want to see in future Heroscape projects. Although our ideas have been circulating in various threads for years, I think it's been a long time since someone has really been listening. I think it would be a good idea to set up a convenient new set of threads that specifically address his points of interest. This is the second, regarding what we want to see in terms of new terrain. Here is a quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotcpbarclay
Here's the plan: Cut the packaging down to a simple box with no window (saves a bunch of $), and put the following components in the box: 2 Trees, 2 Brush, and around 20 swamp/jungle-themed hex tiles (1, 2, 3, and 7-hex). At the same time, we're also looking at a desert terrain pack, containing rock formations (using the ice molds), with 5 rocks and a similar amount of sand/rock-themed terrain. Both of these would sell for $20, and would be sold in hobby stores.

Both of these will be a big test for how well future terrain packs will do. We're working on a plan that will put brand new terrain features (graves, statues, columns, walls, whatever else we can come up with) out in similar packs for 2009. Look for another thread some point soon to discuss desired new terrain features.
SUMMARY (up to page 12):

This is very informal and I do not make any promises about accuracy. I've tried to group similar ideas into categories. I may have double counted a few (especially if the same person posted the same idea more than once), and I did not count some that were unclear about whether they supported a particular idea or not. I have also included some marks for people who have argued against specific types of terrain. But this should give some sense of the trends.

CHARACTER SPECIFIC
Castle sets for each general------------------------8
Ullar - Woodland Fortress or Treetop Village------8
Einar - Japanese Pagoda Fortress------------------2
Utgar - Volcano Base for Utgar---------------------2
Huts or Character Specific Villages-----------------7
Soulborg Ship Wreckage----------------------------2
Marro Terrain-----------------------------------------2
Monastery (for monks)

MODERN / SCI-FI
Sci-Fi / Soulborg Factory----------------------------13 (-1)
Modern / Urban / Industrial-------------------------8
Post-Apocalypse / Wasteland-----------------------3
Skyscrapers, Modular Buildings, Energy Shield Emplacements

OTHER BUILDINGS
More Ruins (general LOS blockers)----------------7
Graves / Tombs / Cemetary-----------------------6 (-1)
Statues-----------------------------------------------5
Fences / Walls / Sandbags / Bunkers--------------5
Wood Plank Tiles-------------------------------------5
Dungeon / Interior Terrain--------------------------5
Pyramids or Ziggurats-------------------------------5
Egyptian Terrain-------------------------------------3
Crates / Barrels / Carts-----------------------------3
Wood Bridges----------------------------------------3
Lighthouse--------------------------------------------3
Fountains---------------------------------------------2
Half Height Castle Walls-----------------------------2
Transport Portals------------------------------------2
Siege Equipment, Windmill, Insect Hive, Campfires, Rubble, Playboy Mansion

OCEAN / WATER
Ships / Shipwrecks / Rafts / Boats-----------------10
Deep Water / Multi-Hex Water----------------------6
Waterfalls---------------------------------------------6
Beach Terrain-----------------------------------------?

NATURAL TERRAIN
Desert (dunes, cacti, etc)-------------------------------------------------9
Mountains / Cliffs / Canyon Walls (tiles of greater than 1 height)-----8 (-1)
Various New Trees / Foliage (twisted, jungle, etc)----------------------7
Rocks / Logs / Boulders / Shrubs-----------------------------------------5
Quicksand-------------------------------------------------------------------5
Mud--------------------------------------------------------------------------3
Caves/ Stalactites / Stalagmites------------------------------------------3
Wellsprings------------------------------------------------------------------3
Giant Animal Skeleton-----------------------------------------------------2
Giant Mushrooms-----------------------------------------------------------2
Volcanoes-------------------------------------------------------------------2
Sloped Terrain--------------------------------------------------------------2
Climbable Trees

OTHER
Smoke/Mist----------------------------------------3
"Unhinged" / Funny / Miniature Golf Course----2
Underwater Terrain
Themed Expansions / Master Sets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal post:

My personally most desired terrain:

Modern / Urban / Sci-Fi

I have long wanted a more high-tech set of terrain for the robots/soulborgs. I've suggested a soulborg base called "Zettia" for the Zettian guards to guard. It could be easy to do: Create gray/metallic water tiles to represent smooth metal floors. Then create some sci-fi looking walls to go around them. Maybe even have a turret emplacement. This would also be more theme-appropriate for the Marvel sets as well. So, it could have big appeal in the hobby stores too.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
I think it would be interesting to do some Egyptian stuff. We already have sand tiles but we could expand it to some statues and walls made of clay and maybe throw in a pyramid style "castle".

Others have thrown this idea out there and it sounds really cool.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Yeah some urban stuff would be cool, although I can't imagine Valhalla having much of that. I would say the desert stuff looks cool. I can't wait for jungle. I want ziggurats (ziggurats, and not pyramids cause you can palce figures on ziggurats), I like the rocky terrain idea. That's all I got for now
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker
I'd love some statues of various famous kyrie from the history of Valhalla.

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Maybe some Fortress of the Archkyrie-like structures for the other Generals? A black and red compound for Utgar, some arboreal Ullar village, etc...

It depends on how easy it is to keep the cost down and sales up though. People might have had their fill of castles by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM

AnakinOU has disabled reputation
Quote:
graves, statues, columns, walls, whatever else we can come up with
While graves, etc. would add a bit of flavor, I'd like to see terrain that actually impacts gameplay more. LOS-blockers, for example. I bought 8 packs of RtFF just for the trees. I don't see myself buying 8 packs of gravestones.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Deserts with quicksand liquid tiles (then I'll finally have everything to make the Fire Swamp - Lava, quicksand, and Rodents of Unusual Size (Deathreavers) and cacti.

Deep Water would probably be pretty cool too, especially if we got some water-based units. However, they would probably be a lot like the Dzu-Teh / Obsidians.

It would also be cool to get some mountains like the Glaciers. I'm all for anything that blocks LOS.

How about indoor terrain? Maybe Sgt. Drake breaks into an Utgar fortress and down to the Dungeon to break out Raelin and Sir Denrick. Then he would be like "Come on Rae, lets get out of here; but you can stay there Denrick, we have Gilbert now."

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakinOU
Quote:
While graves, etc. would add a bit of flavor, I'd like to see terrain that actually impacts gameplay more. LOS-blockers, for example. I bought 8 packs of RtFF just for the trees. I don't see myself buying 8 packs of gravestones.
Columns and walls should do that I think, especially if they're made so that Dragons can't perch on them. I'd like to see more ruins similar to what we see in the original master set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
Terrain ideas are basically endless.

graves
mausoleums(sp?)
more ruins
houses/huts
buildings of all shapes and description(a modular set allowing tons of configurations would be awesome),
statues
fountains(modular?)
sandbags
archer shields(those wooden things that archers stand behind, not sure the name)
indoor furniture like chairs, tables, and beds
crates
wagons
barrels
outhouses :P
etc etc.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Orc huts with large leaf roofs.
The Asian huts that are on bamboo up in the air.
Tree forts
Water falls or little pieces that connect like the ladders but would be smooth and blue so we can make a size 5 waterfall or size 30 if we'd like.
Crazily twisted trees.
The Jungle trees hint hint
Bridges that look like logs.
Wellsprings
Fountains
Large statue like grave stones
Fences (wrought iron with "concrete" posts, log, boulder or left over Vydar robot part/gears fence or sandbags)
and so on.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Both of these would sell for $20, and would be sold in hobby stores.

Uh-oh. What about those of us stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hobby stores around? Does this mean WotC won't be selling to the big guys like Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM

Hatchetbill has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakinOU
Quote:
Columns and walls should do that I think, especially if they're made so that Dragons can't perch on them. I'd like to see more ruins similar to what we see in the original master set.
Amen to that. Similar ruins but different too. Maybe just a box of different ruins. That would make me happy.

If new terrain is being invented I'd like to see it jive with one of the expansions we already have. Snow? Lava? ROTV?

Pyramids seem cool but I just don't see it fitting with Valhalla. Not like the castle did. Kyrie building pyramids? I dont know...
I think you'd lose a lot of hexes for figs to stand on by building a piramid due to the slope. Unless it was a central american themed pyramid with a step structure. That could be functional.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion