Fenmeister Woo who?
Re: The Book of Major Q10

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Q10 might be able to cause more wounds per attack than Q9, but Q9 will get more attacks at the hero, thanks to his longer range and higher survivability. Just something to consider....
That table was assuming you use all 3 attacks of 3 for Q9 and both attacks of 4 for Q10.
I know that, but what I'm saying is that in the long run, Q9 will probably get more wounds on even the higher defense heroes, because he'll shoot from farther away, and be around longer to do it.
You keep mentioning 2 things:
1) Q9's longer range
2) Using either major against multi-life heroes

Are you implying that you'd use these guys primarily against heroes? What happened to squads? Q10 gets 4 special attacks at range 7 attack 2, Q9 gets 9 distributed dice on special attacks of range 6. I don't think it's fair to completely ignore the fact that Q10 can out-range the 4th Mass./10th Reg./AG's etc. Q9 can't so they can stay put and get their respective bonus (WtF, Swogs, etc.) but Q10 seems a decent option to make them come to you, which is essential, at least when playing against the 4th Mass.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

According to Heroscape Matchup Calculator

Major Q9 vs. 3 squads of 4th with WTF and Valiant Defense.

81.961% of the time the 4th win.

Major Q10 vs. 3 squads of 4th without WTF but with Valiant Defense.

84.130% of the time the 4th win.

~Dysole quoting stats but leaving the interpretation up to you.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenmeister View Post
You keep mentioning 2 things:
1) Q9's longer range
2) Using either major against multi-life heroes

Are you implying that you'd use these guys primarily against heroes? What happened to squads? Q10 gets 4 special attacks at range 7 attack 2, Q9 gets 9 distributed dice on special attacks of range 6. I don't think it's fair to completely ignore the fact that Q10 can out-range the 4th Mass./10th Reg./AG's etc. Q9 can't so they can stay put and get their respective bonus (WtF, Swogs, etc.) but Q10 seems a decent option to make them come to you, which is essential, at least when playing against the 4th Mass.
Absolutely not. Both Majors are two of the few heroes that really hold their own against squads.

There's a table a page or two back in this book comparing the damage output, suggesting that Q10 was better than Q9 against heroes. I disagreed because of his superior range on Queglix vs. Wrist Rocket, and his extra survivability.

Q10's ability to outrange WTF is very nice, and should not be discounted. However, it could be argued that 4 attacks 3 vs. 7 defense (a squad of 4th Mass using WTF against Q9) is better than 4 attacks of 2 vs. 5 defense (i.e., a squad of 4th Mass giving up WTF to attack Q10) for the defender, since you're adding .5 skulls and .67 shields to each attack/defense roll on average, and you don't have to give up your positioning. Couple that with Q9's superior attack against squads (3 attacks of 3 is probably the best, though Q9 can also do 4 attacks of 2 and an attack of 1) and he's probably the better pick against squads too, even WTF.

Of course, he costs 30 Points more.

EDIT: @ Dysole - I know you're just quoting stats, but that comparison is flawed unless you assume that all 12 4th Mass soldiers start the contest within 6 spaces of Q9, which I think is unlikely. Plus, Q10 has to keep backing up (probably off of high ground) to deny the Mass WTF.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:17 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Dysole, Q9 isn't going to get WTF'ed very often by full squads of 4th Mass. Q9 can actually get a lot of mileage out of nibbling on the edge of a crowd of range 6 commons. This forces them to either move forward or attack with less than a full squad.

Moreover, let's not forget that 333 does more damage against squad figures with a defense of 3 or more than 2222 does. And against anything with lower ranged defense than 3, Q9's attack can be broken down to 22221 or 111111111, and can also kill more squaddies on average than machine pistol.

That said, machine pistol's 7 range is a nice perk against squads, for sure.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

kc and dok, I recognized that if Q9 is getting WTFed by a bunch of 4th someone is seriously playing him wrong. What I find entertaining is that even when Q9 is played horribly wrong against the 4th he does better than Q10.

~Dysole, who always take stats with a grain of salt
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Q9 also has more defense and the same Life. So even if he is played wrong he is still better than Q10 because of his higher defense.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Fenmeister Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
kc and dok, I recognized that if Q9 is getting WTFed by a bunch of 4th someone is seriously playing him wrong. What I find entertaining is that even when Q9 is played horribly wrong against the 4th he does better than Q10.

And I find it amusing that if you play the majors incorrectly against the 4th mass. 30 more points gets you only an increase of 2.169 to your win chance. It seems like that 7 range helps out Q10 a bit even if he loses some defense.

Remember, Q9 costs 30 points more than Q10!
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
And I find it amusing that if you play the majors incorrectly against the 4th mass. 30 more points gets you only an increase of 2.169 to your win chance. It seems like that 7 range helps out Q10 a bit even if he loses some defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
EDIT: @ Dysole - I know you're just quoting stats, but that comparison is flawed unless you assume that all 12 4th Mass soldiers start the contest within 6 spaces of Q9, which I think is unlikely. Plus, Q10 has to keep backing up (probably off of high ground) to deny the Mass WTF.
That analysis makes Q9's situation seem far worse. It assumes that Q9 charges into a cluster of 12 4TH MASS, ALL OF WHICH ARE IN RANGE OF WTF, AND THEN STAYS THERE. That situation is highly unlikely to happen.

What's more likely is that Q9 puts himself in range of 4-6 Mass, and then kills some of them. Now the Mass player has to choose if he moves up reserves to get 4 attacks of 2, or if he doesn't and gets WTF, but maybe not all 4 attacks. Remember, if the Mass move just one guy, they all lose WTF, and as long as Q9 is always shooting back, they're not going to have 4 WTF attacks very often anyway.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Major Q9 vs. 3 squads of 4th with WTF and Valiant Defense. If possible, you should probably have 2.5x 4th

81.961% of the time the 4th win.

Major Q10 vs. 3 squads of 4th without WTF but with Valiant Defense. You probably should have only 2x 4th for closer points. Or maybe, 2.25 4th.

84.130% of the time the 4th win.

~Dysole quoting stats but leaving the interpretation up to you.<Nice
my comments in orange
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What kc said. Q10 is actually being played very much correctly while Q9 is being played horribly in my analysis. Speaking of analyses

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Quote:

Major Q9 vs. 3 squads of 4th with WTF and Valiant Defense. If possible, you should probably have 2.5x 4th

68.818% of the time the 4th win.

Major Q10 vs. 3 squads of 4th without WTF but with Valiant Defense. You probably should have only 2x 4th for closer points. Or maybe, 2.25 4th.

63.654% of the time the 4th win.

~Dysole quoting stats but leaving the interpretation up to you.<Nice

Why thank you.
my comments in orange
Ask and ye shall receive.

~Dysole, having way too much fun with the matchup calculator
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Is that against 2 or 2.25 squads of 4th mass?

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Is that against 2 or 2.25 squads of 4th mass?
9/4 squads.

~Dysole converting stuff for kicks

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units