Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
D2 - changes in the base size

I thought that it might as well have it's own thread, as I can see this issue generating a fair amount of internet traffic.

FWIW, I'd rather the bases didn't change. I don't buy the "it'll bring in more players and grow the market" line; that's some excuse dreamt up by a beancounter. People won't choose to buy a pack of HS figures simply because of smaller bases. And the idea that the new bases are the only size suitable for use in other tabletop games has obviously come from someone how hasn't noticed that Games Workshop have been using base sizes almost identical to "old" 'scape bases for the best part of 25 years without going broke.

There are two and a half obvious downsides. The fact that the figures will no longer match all the rest of our HS figures. The face that smaller bases are less stable in use. And I've no idea if the effect on gameplay (the smaller the bases, the more opportunity to micromanage the position of the figures on their hexes) is a good thing or a bad thing.

So why is it being done? Well, as I said we can ignore the official line. My view is that it's to help deal with the scale issues. By making the bases smaller, it makes the figures themselves look larger, which goes some way to avoiding the obvious comparisons between "classic" 'scape and D&D Minis retreads. It works only until you line the figures up next to one another, I suspect.

Of course, I'll still buy them. But I'd rather this particular change wasn't happening. It won't fool anybody, it won't benefit anybody, and simply isn't necessary IMO.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News