Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 27th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Gloomhaven isn’t a role playing game. It’s a fully coop, legacy campaign-style dungeon puzzle crawl.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 27th, 2019, 10:30 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Gloomhaven isn’t a role playing game. It’s a fully coop, legacy campaign-style dungeon puzzle crawl.
Right, and if I wanted to play a fully coop, legacy campaign-style dungeon puzzle crawl I would play an RPG

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 28th, 2019, 07:46 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just had three more great games of Seasons of Inis, bringing the total played core and new expansion to 24. If you're in the NYC area, I'm offering it again next Saturday Aug. 3.

Finishing up the new scenarios of C&C Medieval. Adding those to all of the new ones for Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare and Memoir 44; New Flight Plan recently finished. That's a lot of new Commands & Colors played over the last two months--almost 100 scenarios! And I'm planning to play the non C&C game Battle of Britain, also by Richard Borg, soon for the first time too. Its a revamp of his older original version.

Just got a copy of The Resistance: Avalon as a prize in the recent Islandscape tournament, along with a yet another "Worst Luck" trophy this year. Should be trying TRA out for the first time soon.
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:18 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Right, and if I wanted to play a fully coop, legacy campaign-style dungeon puzzle crawl I would play an RPG
Which RPG would you play? Most of them I know of require a dungeon master and many of them are more about roleplaying a part rather than solving a puzzle.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 28th, 2019, 08:36 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Which RPG would you play? Most of them I know of require a dungeon master and many of them are more about roleplaying a part rather than solving a puzzle.
I would play one that requires a Dungeon Master. I prefer RPGs over other games so much that I frequently take the role of Dungeon Master to make the game happen.

As for puzzles vs. role playing, sure, RPGs *add* a role play element to the mix, but there is variation from table to table (and player to player) how much emphasis is placed on that. My groups tend to be somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Regardless, I think a good RPG session will usually have at least one of a good puzzle, a good combat, or a good mystery.

Also, to be clear, the fundamental element of role playing is the players being given a situation and the players deciding how their *characters* will react to that situation; what decisions will they make? Everything else (voice acting, dialogue, etc. etc.) is just fluff. There's nothing wrong with making characters that closely mirror yourself and the way that you think when you are playing a game in order to remove the distance between yourself and your character (although most people start branching out once they've been playing for a while).

--
--
--

--
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:00 PM

What you are describing is very different than Gloomhaven.

Old July 28th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

So Gloom haven has puzzles? I didn't know that. What are they like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 28th, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
What you are describing is very different than Gloomhaven.
Right, because Gloomhaven strips the whole thing down to a) be playable without a GM and b) emphasize the game element of it. But Gloomhaven is still an RPG. It has the other core element of an RPG, which is a character (or characters) that change by gaining new skills, mastering their existing skills, and/or gaining new equipment. Good RPGs bring the two definitions together by making it so that a player that utilizes the strength of their character mechanically will also tend to do things that fit the character as a person.

When the creator of the game describes the game this way
Quote:
Players will take on the role of a wandering mercenary with their own special set of skills and their own reasons for traveling to this remote corner of the world. Players must work together out of necessity to clear out menacing dungeons and forgotten ruins. In the process they will enhance their abilities with experience and loot, discover new locations to explore and plunder, and expand an ever-branching story fueled by the decisions they make. This is a persistent game that is intended to be played over many game sessions. After a scenario, players will make decisions on what to do, which will determine how the story continues...
He is describing a role playing game.

Anyway, I get that some people prefer games that don't require a GM, and I'm not arguing about that. I'm just stating that the core experiences of Gloomhaven all exist in a typical tabletop RPG, and my own preference would be to spend 4 hours a session playing an RPG that lets me create my own character, allows me to customize it more deeply, and allows that character to have a bigger (and less predictable) impact on the game world.

With that said, in a hypothetical world where I had multiple nights a week to dedicate to various lengthy games, Gloomhaven does seem pretty cool and would probably make the rotation.

--
--
--

--
Old July 28th, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
A lot like the ones in Pandemic Legacy, but more intricate.

I find the fully coop aspect of Gloomhaven deeply appealing and find that the stripped down aspect also gives it more consistency in quality than full on roleplaying games, which vary a lot more based on personality intangibles from the DM and various players. I think the structure and removal of a DM (the gamification) highlights the aspects of an RPG that I most like. Much like Pandemic Legacy does.

Old July 28th, 2019, 10:02 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know Pandemic Legacy either.

Quote:
Old July 28th, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know Pandemic Legacy either.
Less a visual puzzle and more of an action/resource optimization puzzle.

Old July 28th, 2019, 10:07 PM

Oh. Not the kind of puzzle I like to play.

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games