Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old April 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Preferences for New Fan Fiction II

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
Reading your OP I'd say go with the option that had the highest percent chance of taking off, namely the Agent Carr one. Most of the replies sense then were a TLDR situation so idk if you received other advice or feedback you would rather act on, but I won't be offended if you had. Man its been forever since I have taken the time to sit down and read any fanfics, I probably need to check your thread list and make sure I didn't miss anything.
As is always the case with my writing, my thoughts on the suggestions have changed, and I'm leaning heavily towards TREX's scenario idea at the moment. Nothing has popped, so anything is possible.

~TGRF.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:37 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@TREX I really like your scenario idea, and at the moment, I plan on writing it after I write 4114. I have a story in mind and everything. However, there is one slight problem.

I was never overly good at playing HS, and I've never designed a scenario before. My worry is that if I try to create a scenario, one side will be more powerful than the other, and it won't be any fun for anyone.

At the moment I'm not sure how to deal with this problem, other than bouncing ideas off of a scenario veteran when the time comes. Or do you think it will be a problem at all?

Example: There's a good chance you'll have a 1v1 with Drake and Cyprien. From my understanding, Drake can beat Cyprien pretty easily, but I can't be sure, and I'm also not sure how to fix it if that is the case.

~TGRF, who has ideas how to fix situations, but lacks the ability or the patience to actually do so. Unfortunately.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:48 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
@TREX I really like your scenario idea, and at the moment, I plan on writing it after I write 4114. I have a story in mind and everything. However, there is one slight problem.

I was never overly good at playing HS, and I've never designed a scenario before. My worry is that if I try to create a scenario, one side will be more powerful than the other, and it won't be any fun for anyone.

At the moment I'm not sure how to deal with this problem, other than bouncing ideas off of a scenario veteran when the time comes. Or do you think it will be a problem at all?

Example: There's a good chance you'll have a 1v1 with Drake and Cyprien. From my understanding, Drake can beat Cyprien pretty easily, but I can't be sure, and I'm also not sure how to fix it if that is the case.

~TGRF, who has ideas how to fix situations, but lacks the ability or the patience to actually do so. Unfortunately.
The not so good part about scenarios is that you have to play test them quite a bit to get them balanced. So your worries are justified as to make a good scenario it does require time and testing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 13th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post

The not so good part about scenarios is that you have to play test them quite a bit to get them balanced. So your worries are justified as to make a good scenario it does require time and testing.
Do you think there's a way I could set the groundwork for someone else to come in and make a scenario? The question would be if I can leave it open-ended enough, but where do I leave it open? In figures? In special rules? In objectives? In the maps?

~TGRF.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:05 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

It really depends how specific the scenario is. If its a band of adventurers rather than a specific character you can leave that open. It would have to be defined in most ways if its a specific storyline.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 14th, 2017, 12:29 PM

An update: In case you didn't hear, my writing process was recently utterly and completely destroyed by some new information coming to light. After a week of panic, the process is now being reconstructed. I believe it's a lot better for the new information and will yield stronger fictions. There is, of course, one slight hiccup.

When the process was destroyed, all work on fan fictions came to a halt, along with everything else. In my attempts to redefine what worked, I turned to my novel, along with the best of my already-written fan fiction, in search of examples. The result was that as I am now recreating the process, I'm developing my first novel alongside it. Fan fiction has, again, taken a back seat.

However, there's more to it. Due to the nature of the new information that came to light, my process has been split into two entirely different types: one for standalone works and one for series with infinite (yes, infinite) novels. It's the series process that I'm working on. It's also the newest, and as such has not been tested.

While I would very much like to use it to write my novel, logic is telling me I should test it out here first and make sure it works. That of course suggests I will be writing a series of fan fictions.

I had not anticipated this.

At the moment, I'm looking into turning the campaign fiction I intended to write into a series of semi-short fictions. I don't want to write a long series - my novel is ready to be written. I do not as yet have a story for the campaign that would yield a series, but I will keep you updated.

~TGRF.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:03 PM

@Airborne Elite 5 @BiggaBullfrog @kevindola @Scaperedude @TREX @twilkerson @William099 @TheAverageFan @Tornado

My current situation is explained above. To make a medium-sized tale short, I'm planning on writing the scenario fan fiction as a series, and I'm doing it now. The release of 4114 is uncertain at this time.

I know I want a series with plenty of opportunity for battles. As broad as that is, nothing is clicking yet. I have no sense of what the story might be. So I need some inspiration, and that's where you come in.

What would you like to see a tale about? There are some very important factors below:
  • Classic 'Scape. I want this to be classic 'Scape. No D&D, no customs. It has to all be figures you can play, and preferably figures most people own.
  • Battles. Battles are a must, due to the scenario-nature of the tale. Whatever the story, it has to inherently include separate and varied battles.
  • Historical. I'm leaning towards an old fashioned tale about the war we know, as opposed to the future or past of Valhalla or a homeworld. This should prevent characters without figures from cropping up.
  • Series. Not every idea is good for a series. The story needs to be one you can easily see repeated multiple times, or expanded a lot. Something without a clear end works well.
  • Fun. I don't want this to be an idea which is mildly interesting. This has a very good chance of being the last fan fiction I ever write here, so I want this to be good. Really, really, epic-finale type of good. I want this fiction to count.
If you can give me any ideas, it would be appreciated! One thing to note: I'm looking for inspiration, not necessarily story ideas. I'm basically waiting for something to click. This means I might not use your exact idea, because it gave me an idea for something else which worked out. This also means 'inspiration' can be more than stories - words, lines, pictures... as long as you think it could inspire a good 'Scape fic, send it my way.

~TGRF.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here's what I've got:

Classic 'Scape: I wouldn't overthink what to include or not include. Not everyone has the same set of figures or the same number of said figures, so Proxying is inevitable for many. Despite his popularity, if your story includes Cyprien I for one will have to proxy him in. As such, I wouldn't worry about what units to use. So include whatever you want: D&D, Custom, or otherwise. Limiting yourself will only limit your storytelling capabilities.

Battles: Use lots of variety. There's a lot of underutilized objectives Heroscape can have, be it obtaining glyphs, king of the hill, protecting a door or specific unit, etc. You can also give certain Heroes buffs if they're a boss character or whatever (if Khosumet is a villain for example--you could give him increased Life/Attack and One Shield Defense to make him as strong on the battlefield as he is in the Lore)

Historical: The Earlier you go back in Heroscape history, the more options you have for battles. It was a bit more of a free-for-all than a good-vs-evil story back then. To each perspective every other General is a potential enemy. That could give you more creative freedom than just fighting Utgar.

Series: Building upon the last bit, you could have different perspectives for different Generals. Like a protagonist for Jandar, a different one for Vydar, and another one for Ullar, for example. It could give you more options for who you can use in battles too, not having to stick to one specific army.

Fun: I can't tell you how to make this truly fantastic. Only you know the finer details that help a story build up to that.

So I would say include whoever you want, have the war be a free-for-all bouncing between varying battles and POV characters, and culminate between them all clashing or something. What's going on between the battles is really up to you.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 20th, 2017, 01:16 AM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Hmmmm.....

Classic 'Scape: We all know about the classic figures (Drake, Raelin, Mimring, etc.) But what if instead of writing about them, you wrote about a side element of them? (Finn's sword, mimring and his sister who was slain when summoned.) I think it would be interesting to hear about a fictitious side of these characters. I don't know, I'm just spewing words here....

Battles: Normally heroscape battles are about army on army encounters, but what about different themed battles? Two forces trying to control a mountain pass, battling over a prisoner, and sky battle with only flying units, etc. I don't have a ton of input here. Just mixing it up and giving a variety.

Historical: I'm not super read up on my heroscape lore, but the more you can tie it back to original lore while providing your own spin of fiction the better. (Similar to what I was saying in the Classic section.)

Series: A series of unique spin offs based off of original lore. But through out the series you occasionally hear about your own other spin offs, and they eventually start tying together in small ways. It would be interesting to see the small clues tying the series together similar to Brandon Sanderson's connected multiverse.

Fun: I'll have fun reading this! I think it would be fun to see connecting clues between chapters and stories within the series.

Sorry, I know that wasn't great input, but hopefully it was enough to get some thoughts flowing....

H E R O S C A P E
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Classic: I would love a story on Deathwalker 9000 and his Zettian Guards. Most people will have them, and despite them being able to be killed in ridiculous ways, they are still so cool. Would also be cool to see what things are like for any of the Marro heros.

Battles: This would give us a perspective on what it was like fighting for Utgar. I think it would be cool of say, DW9K and the Zettians (and whatever other forces you wish to include) had to hold a pass against an opposing force from, say, Vydar's Soulborgs.

Historical: This might be around just before Swarm of the Marro, when the war was at its peak.

Series: Several different "episodes" of just going From hero to hero in Utgars army. We see so much of the good guys, but we gotta show our obvious love for the bad guys.

Fun: I would love to see what you could conjure up for a tale about one of Utgars heros.
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:29 PM

We are in business for now. I have an idea.

~TGRF.
UPDATE: After some minor deliberation, I might have a lead on how to proceed. Phase one is almost complete.
UPDATE: We are back out of business. The idea wasn't enough. Inspiration is bubbling.
UPDATE: We are back in business - again. I have a new idea which is now working properly, and looks promising.

Last edited by TGRF; July 7th, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:13 PM

@BiggaBullfrog @William099 @TheAverageFan @Tornado

I wanted to let my core group of readers know where I'm at, since it's been awhile.

I am working on the development for the currently unnamed series. When I develop a fan fiction, I write everything down in a Word document as I work my way through the process. Apocalypse had 28 pages of development. A Chance had 54. By comparison, this new series has 105 pages of development, and I still have quite a bit left to do. So it's taking a while.

I have the story the way I want it. I know the characters, the conflicts, the general outline of the books. My problem is the subplots. My process has never included subplots until now, and so far... I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I have the side characters. I have what the subplots are about. I just can't seem to figure out how to actually get them outlined.

The fact that I've never developed a series before isn't helping. There's a big difference between trying to stretch a plot out over an undefined number of books, and simply fitting a subplot into a single fan fiction.

So... things would be moving if I knew where to move them. Or how to do so. I will eventually realize some vital part of the writing practice at an inopportune moment and be able to finish the development up. Until then... I wanted to let you know where I'm at.

~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction