Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Played a solo 2P game of Snowdonia to learn it and hopefully teach it Monday night to others. It's a pretty cool worker placement game that has some neat elements regarding how the weather changes and events affect your plans and ability to do things. Basically players represent companies supplying labor for building a railroad track up a mountain in Snowdonia park in Wales. You need to get raw materials, convert them into tracks or building materials for buildings, dig rubble, lay track, move your surveyor, or select a contract card that offers VP bonuses for completing certain tasks.

Last night I taught my girls a card game called Just Wait. It was designed by a friend in my game group and he was giving them out at our last meet up on the 23rd. Basically you have cards numbered 1-7, with a higher number of lower numbered cards and fewer of the numbers as they get higher. You start out with 7 cards and on your turn you have to discard one card and draw that many cards from the deck. Then you may perform 1 meld. A meld is playing 3 of the same numbered cards, or 3 in sequence (3, 4, 5 etc.) Oh, and there are 4 wild cards. You can also discard any number of 1's to take that many from the discard pile (from top to bottom) and have to use at least one of those cards in a meld that turn. So after the deck runs out, players count the values of all the cards they played in front of them in melds. They are face value but wild cards count as zero. You play until someone gets 200 points, so you will likely have to play a few rounds to get up to 200 points. Fun and easy family game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Holiday Project: Samurai Battles Figure Assembly

Last year my holidays were quiet enough that I started the idea of a Holiday Game Project to expand what I can set up for future play, and offer more to other players who visit. Then I did my Great Supers Card Hunt all over the site, which resulted in redoing my entire large collection, which can now offer about 1,000 supers cards of over 660 different supers heroes, villains, support characters, and squads. My resulting Master Lists of names are available onsite in the Custom Supers Creation section.

This year I'm continuing as planned with my second Holiday Project: Samurai Battles Figure Assembly. I've now progressed through assembling all the new expansion figures (plus a couple of small boxes for a unit type not included but for which the rules are laid down and separate figure sets available as allowable substitute units), and now about 3/4 of those in my second original game set. This has included hundreds of tiny figures, plus rudimentary trim painting on them--unit flags and base sides to identify the unit classes by color. And I've played through half of the eight new expansion scenarios with a live opponent; hopefully to be finished off next week.

Soon I'll be ready to set up (possibly multiplayer) double sized boards in larger games! Although Richard Borg has not put out rules for this yet, I was able to come up with some for his old Battle Cry game this year that worked just fine (currently available on boardgamegeek), working of the same type for his other C&C games. Luckily, since the expansion has lots of only a few unit types, I didn't have to buy two of them this time.

Next to be produced will be the Monk Warriors and Monk Archers; I already have an idea for rules for them if they are not officially put out there, but Mr. Borg has been nice enough to keep ahead for No-dachi units, and perhaps he will soon for these as well. So I can now include all the old and new unit types (even individual black painted Ninja figures).

The numerous and intricate hard plastic figure assembly required has put some people off from picking up this game. I usually work in larger scale miniatures, but as this turns out to be one of the best Borg games going, it was worth it!

(Edit) Note: Anyone interested in the details of working on the sets of figures and the types and amounts you get in each set can look at my post on boardgamegeek (Samurai Battles) called MY CLAN ARMY, written specifically for those who have not yet taken the plunge. You can see my total army/side roster, based on the number of sets I currently own, since only now am I assembling them all up for play for the first time, based on the recent availability of The First Expansion: Ninja Attack.

(Edit: Late Saturday Night) Okay, some of my wacky friends are coming over to play sooner than anticipated, starting tomorrow. So now I'm burning the midnight oil hours later than I expected to be, gluing and painting my last combat units from my second original box set days before I originally planned to do, so I can accommodate 3-4 players at once on an Epic sized double board. Suddenly I'm making up an Army Point System too, and looking for some historical battle terrain plans online!

I call it SAMURAI NIGHT LIVE!

The morning after I had just one more Command unit to do in a quick rush. I had SAMURAI NIGHT FEVER!

(Edit) After a first playtest, my quick and simple draft for playing Epic Samurai Battles is now up on boardgamegeek.

Last edited by chas; December 30th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
Played 2 games of Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game

This is the closest I've seen to a role playing game using cards. The game is just fantastic and really gives a great feel of an rpg. We played through the first two scenarios and were barely successful at both. Really looking forward to getting deeper into this game.
Love me some Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Just received the Hook Mountain Massacre adventure deck, but I haven't had an opportunity to complete the Skinsaw Murders. I have to step things up before I fall even more behind.

I'm in the middle of my first game of Eldritch Horror, playing solo with two investigators just to get the hang of it, and I can already tell that it is an excellent game (but it seems extremely tough to beat). In terms of narrative, it has to be one of the best I've played. So far, I've had an investigator develop hallucinations, amnesia, and go into debt, all while on an expedition through the heart of Africa. My other investigator has learned great secrets studying in Shanghai, only to be nearly killed by a Gnoph-Keh (some kind of large, six-legged goat monster) searching for clues in the Himalayas.

In the meantime, there are otherworld gates opening up across the globe, and I can't close them because of a mysterious object near the North Pole. I've nearly solved the second mystery (out of three), but the Doom Track is approaching zero, when Azathoth will be unleashed upon the world. There is so much flavor text on the cards, particularly on the "condition" cards and encounter cards, that it really portrays an excellent story of dark forces and mysterious groups working against each other and our struggling heroes. This is definitely worth trying for anyone interested in a globe-spanning adventure game with tons of theme.
Old December 28th, 2013, 05:08 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Got a couple games for Christmas, Fading Glory (Napoleonic 20 series) and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. So far I've played each once.

Fading Glory is a great set of four scenarios. The rules are very easy to learn (about 9 pages plus optional and the battle specific rules), the components are first rate (a few typos but no big deal), and I really enjoy being able to play a multi-day campaign in abou 90 minutes with only 20 counters. Obviously there are some sacrifices made when compared to heavier games on the same battles, but I think the playability more than compensates. I've played the Waterloo campaign three times and am struggling to pull out a French victory, but I guess that's as it should be.

I wasn't sure about Pathfinder but a number of you here convinced me to give it a shot. My concern was that the system seemed pretty abstract and could be lacking in meaningful decisions. So I read the rules, organized the cards, and started the Brigandoom scenario with two characters (can't remember the names, a fighter and a female magic user I think). Although I was looking stuff up quite a bit the game flowed well. However, as I had feared the experience felt kind of dry- go there, flip a card, make a roll, see what happens, rinse and repeat. But as I got closer to the end of the game I was starting to get sucked in. My magic user died (turned out I was playing a lot of things incorrectly), and I was running out of time. My fighter could not close the woods location (hard to roll a 6 on a D4), and he too died at the end just before time ran out.

And despite my belief that Fading Glory is a much better game with far more interesting decisions, I really wanted to play Pathfinder again. That surprised me because about halfway through the game I was seriously thinking that I'd be selling this one. Time will tell how much this hits my table, or if I will get into it enough to buy expansions, but there is something there that got my attention, even though at this point I don't know exactly what it was.

While I'm here, I also printed Coin Age and was so impressed I had to back it.

Oh, and I almost forgot that The Agents just arrived before Christmas, a fun little card game with a unique card-facing mechanic and a pasted on theme. Got a couple plays in. Not great, but worth the purchase. The plastic cards are very cool although I did have to sand off the little nubs.

Last edited by jbbnbsmith; December 28th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Pathfinder is strangely addictive. It's really hard to figure out just what it is.

Deckbuilding Coop games seem to really scratch an itch for me, though. I'd say that without a doubt Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Marvel Legendary are my two favorite games right now.

SirG - I've found Betrayal at the House on the Hill enjoyable. Not a play all the time type of game, but definitely a fun one to bring out from time to time. It has a very "narrative" feel to it as well.

Been marathon gaming with the cousins. I almost wished I brought more games, but there was only so much room in the car!

We played:

Dominion (with Hinterlands and the base set)
7 Wonders (a couple of times)
Libertalia (not mine, but my cousin had it)
Citadels (a couple of times)
Guillotine
Bananagrams
San Juan
(a couple of times)
Quicksand
Drakkon
(a couple of times)
Smash Up
Ticket to Ride USA
Ticket to Ride Asia

and, more times than I can count, Marvel Legendary first with just the Dark City expansion, and later with the Fantastic Four expansion I got for Christmas. Lots of fun! I may be missing a few as well. Oh, also played our traditional immediate family game of Euchre and Sorry!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 28th, 2013, 08:19 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got Dungeon Panic and the Fantastic Four expansion to Legendary for Christmas. I'm hoping to play both tonight, but we've still got Rise of the Runelords and Dark, Darker, Darkest sitting unplayed on the shelves. Hopefully we'll have time to squeeze in one of these before or after role-playing tonight.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old December 28th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Pathfinder is strangely addictive. It's really hard to figure out just what it is.

Deckbuilding Coop games seem to really scratch an itch for me, though. I'd say that without a doubt Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Marvel Legendary are my two favorite games right now.

SirG - I've found Betrayal at the House on the Hill enjoyable. Not a play all the time type of game, but definitely a fun one to bring out from time to time. It has a very "narrative" feel to it as well.

Been marathon gaming with the cousins. I almost wished I brought more games, but there was only so much room in the car!

We played:

Dominion (with Hinterlands and the base set)
7 Wonders (a couple of times)
Libertalia (not mine, but my cousin had it)
Citadels (a couple of times)
Guillotine
Bananagrams
San Juan
(a couple of times)
Quicksand
Drakkon
(a couple of times)
Smash Up
Ticket to Ride USA
Ticket to Ride Asia

and, more times than I can count, Marvel Legendary first with just the Dark City expansion, and later with the Fantastic Four expansion I got for Christmas. Lots of fun! I may be missing a few as well. Oh, also played our traditional immediate family game of Euchre and Sorry!

Good stuff Bats. Looks like you had a good time.

How'd you like Libertalia? I have it and enjoy it, but it may not be for everyone.

Haven't played PACG in a while, need to get back into that, it's fun. I almost got Legendary for Christmas, but my kids weren't interested in it and others in my group have it. I figured that if I got it I'd want to get the expansions and it just didn't seem like it would have been worth it for me in this case unfortunately. I was hoping the kids would dig it, but they are hit and miss for board games.

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Libertalia was OK. A bit Euro/victory point-focused for a game I was looking for Pirate Theme out of. It reminded me quite a bit of In the Year of the Dragon. It was fun enough, but didn't really "pop" for me. As in I'd be happy enough to play it, but I can't see buying it.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Prickly Cactus

Well if you want Piratey, then Merchants and Marauders is the game for sure. Longer game and a bit to it, but very cool and fun. I only played it once, but hope to play it again sometime.

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Direct player interaction will be introduced in the Pirates and Bounty Hunters Expansion for FIREFLY THE GAME in March! Meanwhile the small expansion Breakin' Atmo is just coming out now, only two months after the game became generally available.

Six more expansions are planned...
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I played Titan: The Arena and Colossal Arena back to back. Colossal Arena is an updated version of the first game. In each, eight creatures battle one another in an arena. One gets eliminated each of five rounds, leaving only three at the end. Players place bets on monsters, and try to keep the ones they back in the game. The goal is to save the monsters you bet on while trying to eliminate the monsters others have bet on.

Old December 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Been learning stuff we got for Christmas.

Forbidden Desert has some similarities to its predecessor Forbidden Island, but plays quite differently. It seems to be a little more difficult, as it may take a while to hunt down the necessary tiles (as opposed to everything being known at the start of the game) and equipment being single-use only (as opposed to being reshuffled). FD is every bit as accessible and fun as FI, too.

Trying to find good strategies for my new Formula D tracks, Chicago/Sebring. Sebring seems fast, but it can be tricky to line up the right numbers. Chicago seems surprisingly easy to drive, if the corners are a little short. Really hate that bridge jump, though... Looking forward to starting race 'seasons' now that I have 4 tracks.

Last but certainly not least to the table so far is Legendary: Marvel DBG. Played a few times to get the rules down, although only one game is really all it takes to figure out. Played once with the wife so far, too. Emma Frost, Black Widow, Iron Man, Gambit, and Rogue fought Magneto with the Legacy Virus scheme. We got hammered with Twists/Wounds early on and I thought it was going to be over quickly. While we were licking (healing) our wounds, though, we got a little respite as Villains began marching through the city. Thanks to our slow start a few Savage Land Mutates escaped, but we were just barely able to hold off the virus long enough to take down the Mastermind. We both beat Magneto himself twice, resulting in a very close score of 37-34! The wife won and loves it. I love how easy it is to teach this game by just jumping straight in to playing and explaining things as they come up. For those worried about similarities to other DBGs, like Dominion with its learning curve and competitiveness: don't. These two games are nothing alike. Legendary is much easier, and it's mainly a co-op, plus the theme has much wider appeal. Definitely a winner as we already can't wait to pick up (all) the expansions.

We also got, but have not yet played, Star Fluxx and Smash Up: Obligatory Cthulhu Expansion, plus a few more Munchkin cards.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games