Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old June 5th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Best To Worst Star Wars Movie By Ranking Individual Chap

My list, since my opinion matters. I don't see any way of rating them since all the trilogies are so different and really all of the movies are so different too:

Phantom Menace: By far the most memorable prequel for me even though Attack Of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were coming out when I was the perfect Star Wars age. Qui-Gon is really cool and should have been in more than one movie. I think it's really just the perfect Star Wars movies for kids, and Star Wars is for kids.

Attack of the Clones: One thing the prequels don't get enough credit for is creating a world where kids can really imagine themselves as Jedi and Attack of the Clones is really the movie that did that. It's tonally very inconsistent though and the lightsaber battle in this movie is the worst one in any of them.

Revenge of the Sith: I think this movie gets a bit too much credit for being "dark", like darkness is somehow a virtue. It's not terrible but it's my least favorite of the prequels, I feel George Lucas got a bit scared by the criticism of the previous two as too childish and made the final chapter "dark" to make up for it.

A New Hope: Incredible settings, the best in any Star Wars movie. Feels the most like it's actually set in space. I really like how the Death Star can't shoot Yavin IV not because the laser is charging but because the planet Yavin is in the way, very inspired.

Empire Strikes Back: I think this one also gets a bit too much credit for being dark. But the Vader vs. Luke duel is the coolest one in the series.

Return of the Jedi: This is the movie that made Luke into the awesome unstoppable Jedi Knight that people wanted him to be in The Last Jedi and it's hard not to want that, he's super cool in this movie. I think it's fine that this movie is the end of that though.

The Force Awakens: The first half of this movie is maybe the most fun and most Star Wars sequence in any of them, I don't know if it's camera work or what but it just feels like a space adventure. The second half doesn't feel as strong, but the Rey Kylo duel is cool.

The Last Jedi: I've already made my opinion on it heard, I think it's pretty good: awkward at a plot perspective, interesting at a thematic perspective. It didn't have to sacrifice the plot for theme though.

Rogue One: My least favorite Star Wars movie and soured me on the anthologies a lot. Star Wars really isn't about war, I didn't like how the characters died one by one on screen and I didn't like how Darth Vader slaughtered a bunch of rebels on screen for no real reason. Felt like a fan movie by someone who loves the design and aesthetics of the Original Trilogy, not a Star Wars movie.

Solo: Better than Rogue one but still lacking Star Wars magic in crucial ways. I think Disney takes the "Empire = authoritarian" a little too far in their depictions of planets under Imperial control in this movie (and in Rogue One). Doesn't have the fan movie feel though, and Han is cool in this movie.
Old June 5th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18
I know that people are allowed to have their own opinions on movies but the particular opinion that "TLJ ruined Star Wars!!" seems so shortsighted and angry. I think you would like it if you gave it a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
Nah, haters gonna hate. Fanboyish hatred of TLJ is too embedded in the culture at this point for the butt hurt to ever recover. I think the "just stop watching movies you know you're going to complain about incessantly" approach is more likely.

Honestly, though, I think some folks make a hobby out of watching movies they know will disappoint them so that they can get salty about it afterwards. It's a hobby I don't get, but it seems to be a thing ....
I didn't go into TLJ wanting to hate it. I didn't like Rogue One but TFA was good initially and had all the set up a great sequel would need to take off. I really wanted to like it, and that's exactly why I hated it as much as I did. Assuming I decided I was going to despise it beforehand or for the sake of some kind of subculture is extremely disingenuous to me and others who dislike the film. It's insulting.

People get so fired up about these things because they love Star Wars so much. I imagine people who didn't like it but didn't care about the franchise as a whole would be indifferent to it at most. That being said Star Wars is dead to me now after TLJ. That was the tragedy; Episode 9 will be the farce. I'll watch it to laugh at it, which is probably exactly how many of my older peers view the prequels.

As far as the defenses presented, I will only say that Compelling Themes =/= Well Executed Storytelling. The Room has themes of friendship and betrayal. Suicide Squad has themes of family, redemption, and society's perception of normalcy. They're not good movies. I 100% agree with all your ideas about the themes of legacy vegie. It simply fails in the execution. I for one fail to understand what wasn't inspiring enough about Luke actually saving the galaxy 30 years ago, and how him only pretending to now somehow is.

Feel free to pm me if you would like to exchange perspectives more; I will refrain from posting further here as to not devolve this Thread into a TLJ debate, as there are plenty of those across the web already.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 5th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I didn't go into TLJ wanting to hate it...but TFA was good initially and had all the set up a great sequel would need to take off. I really wanted to like it, and that's exactly why I hated it as much as I did. Assuming I decided I was going to despise it beforehand or for the sake of some kind of subculture is extremely disingenuous to me and others who dislike the film. It's insulting.

As far as the defenses presented, I will only say that Compelling Themes =/= Well Executed Storytelling.

~TAF
Pretty much this.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Well, I'm not saying that TLJ has a theme and that's why it's good, obviously. I'm saying that the theme is interesting and well-done and I think that makes it a good story. Themes aren't just the ideas in themselves, it's how they are presented in the story. Plot and story are not the same thing. Themes and plot make something a story.

The galaxy isn't real and doesn't really need to be saved this time by Luke, for what it's worth. The first trilogy already did Luke saves the galaxy, we don't need endless movies where there's a new bad guy to be defeated this time. It's a complex question as to what the content of storytelling must be but I think stories can cease to be stories if they aren't adding anything new and just become fantasies instead.

And I'd prefer to continue here if you want to continue as I'm not just speaking specifically to you. But you also can stop responding or PM me a final response if you would like.
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I just said "some folks." If what I wrote doesn't apply to you, I don't see why you'd be insulted by it.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 5th, 2019, 12:33 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I just said "some folks." If what I wrote doesn't apply to you, I don't see why you'd be insulted by it.
Riiiiiiight.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:37 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Riiiiiiight.
Feel free to argue with me about whether my description accurately applies to some folks or not. I don't know enough about any of your personal situations to say whether or not any of you are one of those folks.

Intentionally signing up for the express purpose of hate-watching something other folks enjoy doesn't look good, though, IMO.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 5th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I did like the robot in Solo. That should make it jump to #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Trying to be funny, obviously failed. Thought you were too, but maybe not.

I'll bow out now.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:55 PM

I just want to watch movies and have fun. Folks get too serious about these things. Guess I'll duck out too.

Old June 5th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yeah, that is how I rated mine. The ones I dislike have mostly to do with acting except Solo which just did not feel right (though I thought the acting was fairly solid).

Forgot about the Holiday Special. That is brutal. Did not make it through that one. The Boba-Fett appearance is pretty awesome. They should have made that into a series.
Old June 5th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I still need to watch the holiday special. I've had it downloaded for a while. I'll probably invite some friends over and watch it come holiday season; it should provide some laughs in a group setting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies