Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:03 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Rum and Bones

We tried a 2v2 game of this again this weekend. The first part of the game seemed to play quite good to me, with each side pushing back and forth across the gangplanks like the tide coming in an out. The swings in momentum seemed to be big but I was interested in the tactics that would eventually allow one side to gain enough ground to gain victory. Then the Kraken showed up and the game basically ended. All the previous successes and failures were wiped out in a blink of any eye as the Kraken just clears the board. He is just way too powerful plus he gets two rounds of attacks on everyone before my deckhands can even go once. There is no incentive to attack the Kraken with your heroes as 14 life is too much to finish off all on your own in one round, which means if you try all you do is set up your opponent to steal the victory points by putting the last few wounds on him. So instead neither side attacks him and he just keeps dominating the center of the board while we wait for him to leave on his own. It really killed the flow of what had been shaping up to a good battle. One player lost interest to a point where we just quit playing and moved on to something else, but I think in part that player was not overly interested in the game from the get go. 3 of us are still interested trying to make the game work for us though and started talking about just playing a game without the Kraken or any of the Kraken cards next time. I wonder if playing with more than 2 players is also part of our problem. I have not tried the game 1 on 1 and I think that might actually make it play better when just one person is controlling all the figures and tactics for each side.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Yodaking , is this with the new rules from second tide? I have actually stopped playing this in lieu of waiting on the new rules set. Also, I prefer 1 vs 1 on this game. Best case scenario with 4 players is do a small mini tournament. I'm eagerly waiting on the new rules before I play again. They just seem a ton more balanced than season 1 rules. Where we got caught up was some of the old tide cards weren't clarified very well.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, the original rules were used. I'm really interested in the new rule set, as it looks like they broke up the turn so it's not all one side then the other, but wanted to wait until the kickstarter set them to me along with everything else. I'm not sure if they fixed the Kraken though in the new rules, it is just way too powerful and unfun. I'm sure the intention was to make it so such that people were leery of playing the Kraken cards but that hasn't worked out that way for us. One team always just plays the cards as soon as they get them since the Kraken cards are so useful. As a result the other team also plays them pretty freely just as long as they have fewer points than the other team their really is no penalty.
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:36 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I followed the kickstarter very closely. They have adjusted the kraken, the sea dragon, the objectives. They have made the objective points give cooler bonuses. For instance. When you take the enemy armory, your bosens get an upgrade. When you take the enemy deck gun, your just gets cooler, the enemy one stays though. Quite a few really cool upgrades that I think will bring the game to another level. You also get points for KO'ing enemy heroes.

Old February 16th, 2017, 12:36 AM
"like" happy

I just got my copy of rum and bones second tide from kickstarter today. Only the core box is here as of yet. The add ons and ks exclusives will come next. So far I got in a game with my wife. The new ruleset is so cool. It plays back and forth activating each character dashboard. This makes it much more balanced than season 1 rules. Also the character sheets got a makeover. Using gold to upgrade hero abilities is much better. It also takes out negative affects that prolong the game. Instead of losing your deck cannon. The enemy just makes theirs better. Instead of a hero losing all their gold when getting koed the enemy hero just gets some from the pile. This game has taken a step up from season 1 and when i get my upgrade box ill be able to play all my season 1 sets with the new stuff too. Very cool game and of course the minis are great.

Old February 16th, 2017, 01:00 PM
C3G Landlord

I too was pleased with the many rules changes after reading through them. I think they will address many of the issues we seemed to have with the first set of rules. The Kraken in particular still looks pretty deadly but now it looks like it may be a little more manageable to survive as well as take down. Won't know until I get a chance to play, which might not be for a while, but I'm pretty hopeful.
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:18 PM
"like" happy

@Yodaking , I didn't quite get to finish my game last night with my wife, but we plan on finishing it when I get home from work today. I played as the Marea de la muerta, against her deep lords. I was quite surprised at the amount of theme built in around the pirates abilities and their tide deck. The theme of the greediness of the Spaniards is just so awesome, and useful. I thought they wouldn't be as fun to play, but they are pretty cool. I really can't wait for the orc faction. I'm excited as can be for all of it.

Old February 16th, 2017, 01:36 PM
C3G Landlord

I didn't get many add-ons this time around so no Orc faction for me.
Old March 10th, 2017, 07:18 PM
"like" happy

@Yodaking , I'm really loving the new rules, and have got to play about 6 times so far. 5 1v1 games and 1 2v2 game. I am anticipating the second wave, but have read tons of horrific stories of missing items in the comments on kickstarter. You'll have to tell me when you get your second wave box so I know mine will be soon thereafter. I've been playing the game with my aluminum dice I bought online. They are so cool. I ordered a couple more sets of them, as all my opponents are jealous.

Old March 10th, 2017, 09:58 PM
C3G Landlord

I'll be sure to keep you updates. Sadly I still have not had a chance to play the new rules yet. My gaming group seems to have lost its steam of late. Suddenly everyone has scheduling issues and other interests. It goes in cycles like that for us.
Old March 10th, 2017, 10:02 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'll be sure to keep you updates. Sadly I still have not had a chance to play the new rules yet. My gaming group seems to have lost its steam of late. Suddenly everyone has scheduling issues and other interests. It goes in cycles like that for us.
You will like it when you do get a chance, my brothers and one brother in law along with myself can't wait for the tidal wave of options coming. I couldn't tell you which faction of the new core box is better. I've played both about evenly and won and lost with either or. They are spot on with theme though. The spanish with their greed for gold is awesome. I didn't realize the extent of it until my brother bribed three huge groups of my crew so none of them could attack that turn. It was both awful and beautiful at the same time. I've seen the deep lords just smash people and get lucky and not face the wrath of the kraken for all the kraken pool points they rack up and I've seen it the other way too, where the turtle swashbuckler racked up so many it cost him the game. Way cool. I can't wait to use all my old factions with the new rules too.

Old March 10th, 2017, 10:13 PM
C3G Landlord

Yeah, I read through all the cards and was happy to see one faction had a way to lower the kraken pool.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games