Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:52 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: HoME Brainstorming Thread

To kickstart brainstorming for Aragorn (he just won the vote) here is a draft I wrote up a while back:
Quote:
NAME = ARAGORN
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = HUMAN / DUNEDAIN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = RANGER
PERSONALITY = BRAVE???
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 6
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 130

RANGER'S ASSAULT
When Strider attacks an adjacent figure or destructible object, he may add 2 dice to his attack or attack one additional time.

STRIDER
When counting spaces for Strider's movement, elevation changes up to 2 levels count as one space. Strider does not have to stop his movement when entering water spaces, and Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space when moving. Strider never takes any leaving engagement attacks.

RANGER OF THE NORTH
After taking a turn with Strider, if he is unengaged, you may choose an adjacent unengaged friendly figure. Strider and the chosen figure have no visible Hit Zones until the next time you reveal an Order Marker.
I wanted to capture the versatility of Aragorn as a Ranger of the wilds. The book never mentions whether he has a bow or not, but I thought it seemed reasonable and he has one in the movie. Ranger's Assault lets him dish out more damage in Melee, while Ranger of the North provides some short-term stealth and protection for Aragorn and one other hero.

Thoughts?

I look forward to reading what you guys suggest.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:55 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
To kickstart brainstorming for Aragorn (he just won the vote) here is a draft I wrote up a while back:
Quote:
NAME = ARAGORN
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = HUMAN / DUNEDAIN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = RANGER
PERSONALITY = BRAVE???
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 6
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 130

RANGER'S ASSAULT
When Strider attacks an adjacent figure or destructible object, he may add 2 dice to his attack or attack one additional time.

STRIDER
When counting spaces for Strider's movement, elevation changes up to 2 levels count as one space. Strider does not have to stop his movement when entering water spaces, and Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space when moving. Strider never takes any leaving engagement attacks.

RANGER OF THE NORTH
After taking a turn with Strider, if he is unengaged, you may choose an adjacent unengaged friendly figure. Strider and the chosen figure have no visible Hit Zones until the next time you reveal an Order Marker.
I wanted to capture the versatility of Aragorn as a Ranger of the wilds. The book never mentions whether he has a bow or not, but I thought it seemed reasonable and he has one in the movie. Ranger's Assault lets him dish out more damage in Melee, while Ranger of the North provides some short-term stealth and protection for Aragorn and one other hero.

Thoughts?

I look forward to reading what you guys suggest.

A very versatile and powerful hero...
The "Strider" power is very clever, and not to love my own ideas, but I thought that it seems more of an Elfish demonstration of light feet? I think Aragorn should keep the power, but it seems silly for HoME's Aragorn to walk on snow whilst our Legolas doesn't?

I'm loving the Ranger's Assault and the RotN, though.

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:17 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Interesting. I quite like Ranger of the North, though Strider seems a bit clunky. I too had a version already drawn up (as I do for most of the Fellowship), here it is.

Quote:
NAME = ARAGORN
GENERAL = AQUILLA
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = DUNEDAIN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = RANGER
PERSONALITY = TRICKY
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 5
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 100

ATHELAS HEALING

After moving and instead of attacking with Aragorn, you may choose a friendly small or medium figure adjacent to Aragorn and remove 1 wound marker from it's Army Card.

DUNEDAIN PROTECTION
When a friendly small or medium figure adjacent to Aragorn rolls defense dice against normal attack, you may choose to add 4 to that figure’s defense dice. If you do and that figure receives any wounds, Aragorn receives 2 wounds. You may only use Dunedain Protection once per turn.
I tried to emphasize his qualities as a healer and protector of his fellow heroes. I debated throwing in Tracking, or a melee enhancement like +2 Broadsword or Ranger's Assault, but elected to keep options open.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:38 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

ew9, I can see how the STRIDER power makes more sense for an Elf. I think of the Dunedain as masters of the wilderness, able to cover much terrain in little time and survive in all elements, so that's what I was going for. I have no doubt that parts of it could be dropped to clean it up while still getting the same theme across.

--

I didn't think about the healing aspect. Something like ATHELAS HEALING would probably be better than STRIDER. I think I prefer RANGER OF THE NORTH over DUNEDAIN PROTECTION though, thematically (and mechanically).

I can certainly see the appeal (to elegance, and affordability) for a lower offensive output and no melee power. As far as the affordability goes, it would probably be more appropriate for Aragorn's Ranged Attack to be 2, now that I think about it. That would be too low to double as his melee attack, though, so I guess we could scrape by with 3 if we decide not to do a melee power.

--
--
--

--
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Now that I think about it, the Dunedain Healing really would be useful to making the Fellowship as a whole powerful, as they need a healing power of some sort. Both of these variations have some form of protection for friendly units, and either would work well. However, I do think Aragorn needs an offensive power, as he is one of the main attackers of the Fellowship. Aragorn vs. Uruk-Hai, any one? I think the Ranger's Assault power could help him school some Uruks.

Thematically, I would choose to keep Cap's version, but drop the Strider power and replace it with SoA's Dunedain Healing... But how powerful would that be? We would need to figure out another way to keep his cost down, or simply design the rest of our units at a lower cost, as to allow them in an army with Gandalf. If anything, I'd like to see Gandalf and the Hunters in a 500 point army. I imagine Aragorn as the most expensive of the Three, though, so we can have a little leeway.

Last edited by elvenwizard9; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:12 AM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Personally, I'd like to see us stick close to Aragorn as he appears in the Fellowship, before he takes over as leader of the Three Hunters. So, less combat-oriented than Boromir or Gimli, and more focused on supporting the Fellowship. A healing power, a protection power, and something to differentiate between his range & melee combat sounds like a great outline.

Just a thought here: Aragorn is a unit I could potentially see 3 incarnations of (Ranger, Hunter, King), though that might be too many for some people. He is, after all, a dynamic character, so stuffing all of that into a single unit will be tricky.

Also, for species, are we looking at Human, Dunedain, or even Numenorian? Or are we fairly set on a single one?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Personally, I'd like to see us stick close to Aragorn as he appears in the Fellowship, before he takes over as leader of the Three Hunters. So, less combat-oriented than Boromir or Gimli, and more focused on supporting the Fellowship. A healing power, a protection power, and something to differentiate between his range & melee combat sounds like a great outline.

Just a thought here: Aragorn is a unit I could potentially see 3 incarnations of (Ranger, Hunter, King), though that might be too many for some people. He is, after all, a dynamic character, so stuffing all of that into a single unit will be tricky.

Also, for species, are we looking at Human, Dunedain, or even Numenorian? Or are we fairly set on a single one?
Unless we have a special faction of Dunedain or Numenorian to bond with him planned, then we should stick with Human. Heck, maybe make the rest of the faction, if we choose to create them, Human.

Well, I always though that the big break/change in Aragorn's character and role was his transition to King. I figured that the Ranger/Hunter is pretty similar... I mean, the words Ranger and Hunter in and of themselves are very similar.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:29 PM

I think the Ranger and Hunter stages are similar enough that we could roll them together, personally. I'm open to the possibility of a Hunter Aragorn, but I'd have to be persuaded beforehand that it would be sufficiently distinct from our first Aragorn.

--
--
--

--
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:04 PM

Personally, I like differentiating the Dunedain from Humans. After all, their line is descended from the Half-Elven rather than purely human blood, and their extended lifespan (Aragorn was 210 years old at the time of his death) could easily make the case for a separate race.

While Ranger and Hunter seem similar, in the story they're quite different. The Rangers wander the wilds, keeping watch on the North and guarding the borders of the Shire. The Three Hunters are a small group driven by a single purpose, relentlessly pursuing the Uruk-hai across Rohan.

The way I see it, Whereas Aragorn the Ranger is a stealthy support unit, Aragorn the Hunter is a melee fighter and leader. The different versions I had drawn up of the two are quite distinct, and capture different aspects of the character at different stages in the story, if anyone wants to see my version of Aragorn the Hunter.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM

Yeah, let's see it.

--
--
--

--
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:06 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

• I feel the most natural choice would be for Aragorn to follow Ullar. Going with Aquilla would be an irreconcilable theme break.
  • I prefer Dunedain over Human.
  • Like most, I think a healing power of some sort is a must.
  • I'd rather Aragorn not have range.
Dunedain Tracking
Before the game choose an opponents unique hero. After the chosen unique hero takes a turn you may move Aragorn 2 spaces.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:50 PM

Aragorn (the Hunter):

NAME = ARAGORN
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = DUNEDAIN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = HUNTER
PERSONALITY = DETERMINED
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 6
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 120

ENGAGING STRIKE 14
After moving and before attacking with Aragorn, roll the 20-sided die once for each opponent’s small or medium figure engaged with Aragorn that he was not adjacent to at the start of his turn. If you roll a 14 or higher, that figure receives 1 wound.

DUNEDAIN LEADERSHIP
After revealing a numbered order marker on this Army Card and taking a turn with Aragorn, if he destroyed at least 1 opponent’s figure this turn, you may reveal an “X” order marker that is on this Army Card and take a turn with a friendly Unique Hero that is within 6 clear sight spaces of Aragorn.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs