Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old June 10th, 2020, 04:00 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Thanks for the video. Really to fun to relive that one. A lot going on in this game on both sides.

The one thing I'll explain directly was the discussion around my move in on Dysole when I was down to 4 banshees. I didn't hear it get brought up in the game, but the reason was the thrall and Pounce. If I do nothing, I am giving Dysole as least 1 free 5v3 pounce attack, and with an initiative switch another one (likely 5v2 on the second one). That result would have been a loss in the game and had a reasonable shot of happening, and even 1 pounce was devastating. That was not acceptable for me, so I decided to go in aggressively at that time, and it paid off quite well. (Even though I probably threw something at the screen when I missed the 3v1 attack on the Thrall)

Overall, Dysole just played amazingly well (her counting skill notwithstanding). The precision with which she used the bonding heroes was exceptional to see.
Old June 11th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Oh man, you lost video from those two games where I played badly and lost? Bummer.
You know me, just aiming to please.

Quote:
Seriously though, sorry to hear that, it really is a bummer.

Thanks again for all your work on these videos. I thought this one was especially good.
Thanks so much! I agree, I enjoyed listening back on this one while editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Thanks for the video. Really to fun to relive that one. A lot going on in this game on both sides.

The one thing I'll explain directly was the discussion around my move in on Dysole when I was down to 4 banshees. I didn't hear it get brought up in the game, but the reason was the thrall and Pounce. If I do nothing, I am giving Dysole as least 1 free 5v3 pounce attack, and with an initiative switch another one (likely 5v2 on the second one). That result would have been a loss in the game and had a reasonable shot of happening, and even 1 pounce was devastating. That was not acceptable for me, so I decided to go in aggressively at that time, and it paid off quite well. (Even though I probably threw something at the screen when I missed the 3v1 attack on the Thrall)

Overall, Dysole just played amazingly well (her counting skill notwithstanding). The precision with which she used the bonding heroes was exceptional to see.
Thanks for that explanation! That makes a lot of sense, so I'm glad you brought it up because preventing the 5v3 didn't stick out to either of us. (Well, not to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Flash knew all along and just let me go along with what I was saying. )

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old June 11th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post

Thanks for that explanation! That makes a lot of sense, so I'm glad you brought it up because preventing the 5v3 didn't stick out to either of us. (Well, not to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Flash knew all along and just let me go along with what I was saying. )
That was a great game indeed! Thanks again Bigga for letting me join in on this one!

And yes, I totally knew it all along! I just figured I should let Bigga finish the monologue he was in the middle of.

I appreciate that added perspective KD - always fun to hear what's going through player's heads throughout the game, especially when they're great players like you and Dysole!

By the way, @Dysole - I really wish I had seen the Darkwing Duck pun during the screencast. I would've drawn attention to its awesomeness.

Or should I say, dangerousness?

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old June 12th, 2020, 03:05 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
My Quick Thoughts

I probably could say more, but a couple things that went through the brainspace.

1. The whole which matchups of units do I want is absolutely something I do. If you'll notice in the early going, I rarely interacted DKs vs Banshees and instead had unique heroes go do the work. (although I was hoping you would point out that my wound box had "sturdy shield" to represent Khosumet he of the most lying bio in all of Scape)

2. I had been going through a particularly rough batch of insomnia and so tough map plus that meant my counting skills were garbage despite having a degree in math

3. My puns are generally just a wide knowledge of words + Google when it starts getting later in the game and I'm like what are the google suggestions for word x

4. I absolutely would not have taken the disengage had I been able to count right. I would've just walked around and taken a pot shot at Brontos.

And Flash yeah you gotta pay attention to my X OMs too because even those have puns

~Dysole, who really enjoyed that game
Old June 13th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
With Online Heroscape Season 35 wrapping up, it's probably a good time to start posting videos from it, right? We get to watch a game between @dok and @Crixus33 to start us off with a cool Soulborg vs Bug/Arachnid matchup. And joining in the discussion is master map designer and good friend @Flash_19 !! So join us as we discuss how much text is on Deathcommander's card, poke fun at @TrueMurray , and talk about Flash_19's new map that he said he'd post when we made the video weeks ago but I just checked and it wasn't there so what's up with that!?
Apologies for replying to a slightly old post, it has been awhile since I last logged in and I just saw the mention.

It was interesting to see someone commenting on my gameplay.

Figured I might as well provide some insight into what I was thinking when playing the game. Note I'm not a very good player, so my logic could be is probably flawed.

The main move I made that saw discussion was my choice to move Sujoah into engagement. Going into the game I wanted to keep the action at Wannok. I was, probably, overestimating the amount of damage it could do to my army. When I moved Sujoah in I felt I was losing board control there. Plus my screen protecting Estivara was a little tenuous and I didn't want to lose her because if she died my spiders lost significant attack power. I also felt I was playing too cautiously and wanted to play a bit more aggressively to deny Wannok and hopefully remove DCM3.

Anyway I think that's what was going through my mind. Sorry for a bit of a derail. Also thanks for making the video, it was fun to see play-by-play commentary on a game I was in.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old June 14th, 2020, 02:33 AM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
Quote:
With Online Heroscape Season 35 wrapping up, it's probably a good time to start posting videos from it, right? We get to watch a game between @dok and @Crixus33 to start us off with a cool Soulborg vs Bug/Arachnid matchup. And joining in the discussion is master map designer and good friend @Flash_19 !! So join us as we discuss how much text is on Deathcommander's card, poke fun at @TrueMurray , and talk about Flash_19's new map that he said he'd post when we made the video weeks ago but I just checked and it wasn't there so what's up with that!?
Apologies for replying to a slightly old post, it has been awhile since I last logged in and I just saw the mention.

It was interesting to see someone commenting on my gameplay.

Figured I might as well provide some insight into what I was thinking when playing the game. Note I'm not a very good player, so my logic could be is probably flawed.

The main move I made that saw discussion was my choice to move Sujoah into engagement. Going into the game I wanted to keep the action at Wannok. I was, probably, overestimating the amount of damage it could do to my army. When I moved Sujoah in I felt I was losing board control there. Plus my screen protecting Estivara was a little tenuous and I didn't want to lose her because if she died my spiders lost significant attack power. I also felt I was playing too cautiously and wanted to play a bit more aggressively to deny Wannok and hopefully remove DCM3.

Anyway I think that's what was going through my mind. Sorry for a bit of a derail. Also thanks for making the video, it was fun to see play-by-play commentary on a game I was in.
Thanks for checking it out; I'm glad you liked it! I think you played very well that game! And thanks for sharing what was going through your mind during the game -- I always love to see the player's thoughts and the insights they bring. I think I didn't love the Sujoah play, but that's largely more due to a difference of personal preference/playstyle (you wanting to keep a more focused battle definitely makes sense in hindsight, especially with Estivara nearby to cheerlead), and you made it work for you! I remember being really impressed with your Spider play too! If only DCM3 had been a little less stubborn.

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old June 17th, 2020, 05:17 PM

Sorry for the delay in uploading today! There was a bug in the video that cropped up while editing so I had to re-record and edit it.

So I've been messing around with the idea of showmatches for a while, and a good month or two ago I got @Scaperedude and @BodaciousBlood to try out a format I'd been thinking of. It's a simulated Reverse the Whip that can be used for only one game instead of a full tournament. That way a single game could potentially simulate the RtW meta between two players, kinda sorta. The game worked out well enough, and even more excitedly, @TrueMurray returned to cast this one!!! We have a great time watching and casting this game, so enjoy the ensuing shenanigans!

And an update for the curious: I've got a new computer and am busy tinkering with different recording and editing software for it. The second semifinal for the Reverse Draft season should be recorded and up soon-ish, but there may not be a video next week while I experiment with different kinds of software in order to better streamline my process. But once that's figured out I'll be pumping out videos again, and I'm looking forward to working on some really cool concepts in the pipeline, as well as the upcoming Online Con!

10 Points Under Videos

Old June 24th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Unfortunately, no video coming this week. However, the Online Con Prep Event is happening this weekend and I'm hoping to be able to get a few videos from it. To get a jump start on building back up my video cache I'm reopening the scheduling sheet. Starting next week, I'll be setting up recording sessions, so if you're wanting to cast one of these games put when you're available on the sheet and I'll hit you up!

Quick note -- since I won't have tooons of videos I may not be able to get everyone who signs up, but I'll hit those who I'm not able to get to this time first with the next batch. And if it factors into anyone's preferences, the videos I'll be recording will be what I get from the prep event as well as the two videos I had backed up from the VCheese event.

10 Points Under Videos

Old July 1st, 2020, 11:37 AM

Game 2 of the semifinals is here! (And, unfortunately, the last game of the Reverse Draft since I lost the finals when my computer crashed.) It's @superfrog and @AgentWard playing it out this week in a Monks vs Dreadguls matchup! We're again on an asymmetrical map that brings a lot of big choices to the game, and to help make sure nothing is missed I get to cast this game with @kevindola , who you know is going to bring a lot of good strategy insight! Enjoy the conversation on the dynamics of the matchup in this sweet sweet game!

Also, I've got a good stream of videos now, and if you're interested in talking about a game with me make sure you let me know on the scheduling sheet so we can set it up!

10 Points Under Videos

Old July 2nd, 2020, 11:10 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I really like kevindola's framing of "what does winning/losing look like". It's conceptually extremely similar to the variance stuff I've talked about several times but it's a great way to put it.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I really like kevindola's framing of "what does winning/losing look like". It's conceptually extremely similar to the variance stuff I've talked about several times but it's a great way to put it.
Agreed!

10 Points Under Videos

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; July 2nd, 2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Feels short, but not much more to say other than repeating that it is indeed a great way to put it
Old July 3rd, 2020, 05:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm looking forward to watching this one. Dola's probably Top 3 playing the game right now. Now to convince him to come to GenCon next year...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports