Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old March 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM

PhoenixOrder is surprisingly tart
Custom Units

Hey all,
I didn't see any threads or anything specifically for this, so I'll just post it here. I've started up a Google Docs document about the units I'm creating (lots of multi-colored planeswalkers so far ) and my thoughts on how to use them. Here's the link, let me know what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ffXhwiEUzM/pub

Phoenix
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:12 PM

igelkott is surprisingly tart
Re: Custom Units

The dual card idea with Dastan is pretty cool. But you really want to try not to make players remember things from one turn to the next. So create a corruption marker. Change the end of Sands of Time to say something like If you do this, place a corruption marker on this card. Then for Corrupting Sands say At the start of any turn, if there is a corruption marker on this card, transform to the dark prince ... etc.

You'll need to do something similar to the Dark Prince.
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:18 PM

Glad you like him. That is an excellent point about people remembering things, I'll get on that marker and word changing.
Old March 15th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Some more comments:

Skandrumir :
Exemplar - Are these bonuses cumulative? i.e. If he destroys 2 creatures is he now at +2 attack? There aren't any lowlife commons yet but when there are this might become a bit OP unless there's some max bonus. Also, like before, this needs a memory marker.

Vol Kyranus:
Chilling Touch - If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the freeze ray on Mister Freeze. It's a playtested power in the C3G section. Not saying that's better, just a suggestion to see if you want to adopt something from there for this power. Also, memory marker...

Edit: forgot to add link to Mr. Freeze:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=38853

Ral Zarek:
Dangerous Experiments - I don't know that I would ever do this. If I read this right, there is a 33% chance of doing 1 point to my own creature, and only a 25% chance of doing 1 extra point to an opponent. The odds aren't with this one....
Chronoboost - you should probably describe what Haste is here rather than referencing a power that exists on another card.

Hikuro:
Black Flames - Again there aren't too many low life commons now but when there are, this'll burn right through them, or force your opponent to spread them out.... either way, this may become a bit OP. Maybe require a die roll for each adjacent figure?

Cadriel:
Seal of the Righteous-Need a seal marker. Normally powers with memory apply to cards. In this case you are picking on a figure which could be part of a squad. You might want to change this to affect the whole squad to simplify things. Also, what if the opponent doesn't choose that card next turn... does the effect go away anyway or only after being activated? Jace can completely take over a PW for a turn on a 16+... Seal is a far weaker power.

Divine Edict - Needs a divine marker. Also is pretty useless in a 1v1 duel scenario since the game is over when the PW is dead.

She feels like she needs some additional power????

Last edited by igelkott; March 15th, 2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:03 PM

Thanks a lot for your insights igel, they are much appreciated before I start play-testing these guys.

Skandrumir :
I did actually change this ability a bit so that's its slightly weaker (I just forgot to put the actual new card on the doc). He now needs to kill 2 squad creatures in order to get a +1 boost (hero creatures and PWs still give +1 and +2 respectively). Yes, the bonuses are cumulative. I'm also considering making it that he doesn't gain power from any other sources (aka glyphs), but I think I'll decide that after some playtesting. Yet another marker (2 actually, a 1/2 poinnt and a couple +1 powers) added to the make list.

Ner'zhul:
I'm going to assume you meant Ne'zul here (names are confusing I know) instead of the volcano guy. I'll check it out thanks!

Ral Zarek:
Now that you mention it, it does seem quite weak. I though of 2 ways to change it:
1) Every creature in a squad takes an automatic damage, but has +1 attack (maybe every +2?)
2) Switch the damage boost on the dice roll to activate on swords, and the creature taking damage activates on shields (or even the blank maybe)

Good thinking for Chronoboost.

Hikuro:
I think this may need some discussion. While Black Flames is quite powerful, it does have some drawbacks that in my initial opinion seemed to make it decently balanced.

1) Hikuro has to be adjacent to thee figure, and can only kill it through normal combat. Both black and red already have really good ways of taking out squad creatures directly (Killing Wave, Incinerate)
2) It hits your own creatures too forcing you to be careful as well. It leaves something for both players to play around.
If you thought of those already, let me know. If not, I'll probably need to see how it interacts in an actual game.

Cadriel:
A good point on the marker and needed buffing of this ability. I'll probably change it to "until the squad or figure is next activated." I'll probably end up raising the range on it and lowering the needed number to something in the 14 area.

Another marker coming up. I have thought of this for 1v1 scenarios. Honestly, I think I'd just have to write up a small rule page for this one since little more can really fit on the card. I'm considering having her squad units roll +1 against the enemy planeswalker, but the enemy PW rolls +1 against her. Or, just having it not be used in 1v1's.

Good comments as always.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:43 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like the idea of doing the character from prince of persia. I absolutely loved all those games. What figure might you be using for those sculpts. I have no interest in making him into a planeswalker, but he would be one heck of a heroscape character. The thing with the magic cards is, theme wise, I don't know if they would represent him very well. His sands of time powers don't seem to reflect in all of those. I like both Magic AOTP and Heroscape. I'm more for making customs for heroscape as they are currently releasing magic. Thanks for sharing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old March 18th, 2016, 04:11 PM

Hi trex, glad you like him!
I'm actually currently unsure of how I am planning to do the figures. I friend of mine suggested clay, but I'm not sure how well that would look or be stored.
I would agree that for the most part that a good amount of the agic cards don't really fit his theme (he's not really a necromancer, but he's not a leader of armies either). However, I'm currently in progress of making a few new spell cards for each color, and some of them (the black ones specifically) fit his desert theme much better in my opinion. That being said though, I didn't really create these to fit the theme of Magic, but more to add some variety to the game and expand it on my own.
I would love to see anything you make for 'Scape (and probably make a Magic conversion).
Old March 18th, 2016, 09:18 PM

How's this guy for the lich?
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77280

perhaps this one for cadriel?
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77364

perhaps volkyranus?
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/89013
or this dude:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77151

centaur:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77263

dwarf lord:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77397
or
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStor...sku-down/77074
Old March 20th, 2016, 02:49 PM

Oh wow, those look great! And very decently priced too.
Thanks a bunch! I'm highly considering getting these.

Also, some balance notices. I played a game yesterday and tested The Lich King, and Vol Kyranus. Here are some thoughts:

Lich King seemed quite overpowered in the range of his slow and the ability to move himself and his units. I'd either put his cost WAY up, or more likely lower his slow range a little (or make it a dice roll) and remove his ability to move himself and his units as its pretty insane.

Vol Kyranus seemed slightly underpowered actually. His abilities weren't actually of use that often as you want to use green enchants when you get them not as much when you're units are damaged, and he often casts spells, then activates his units instead. I'm thinking I'm going o have to change a couple things with him.
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:55 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@PhoenixOrder , I would advise against using clay on custom mods. I would first browse online sites for figures that look close to what you want, and then, If you want to do further modding, use something like Greenstuff. Its a two part resin/hardner that hardens into plastic. I've used it so much, check out my figure mod thread in my signature.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 25th, 2016, 03:38 AM

Teazia knows what's in an order marker Teazia knows what's in an order marker

Urza and Mishra please :P

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion