Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Well, the "Naked City" is gaining some props. It's a lot of work.

The street lights and stop sign have a flimsy feel to them. I really like the way the dumpster came out. I love the billboard, which has space underneath that allows figures to pass through. You see Venom here snarling at Spiderman. Go get him, Spidey!

08/10/07: Look! The Superheroes have arrived! Thanks, House Mouse Games!

08/10/07 10:50 pm CST: The gas station took me 3 hours to complete. Phew! But the superheroes need to buy lotto tickets as well.

Things are getting interesting in the city....

08/11/07 07:26 pm CST: A new warehouse has been (mostly) constructed. 3-1/2 hours. I still haven't built the removable roof -- I'll do that tomorrow (maybe). The instructions that come with the set are excellent. I don't think I could've gotten this far without them. I was much more meticulous about edging during this construction. I did make some mistakes along the way, but was (thankfully) able to salvage it. I still need to build props (loading dock, shelving, etc.).

This is probably the last update I'll post here, as I think everyone who may be interested has gotten the basic idea (exception: I've added a bonus update). For those who don't want to go the WorldWorks Games route, there's a thread where the community is working on providing free cardstock templates: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=10761. Another excellent thread: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=10159. Finally, there's ninthdoc's solution that you see a few posts above this one.

I think Heroscape: Marvel Legends will benefit greatly with these additions.

Doctor Doom to Capt. America: "You're fired!"
Capt. America to Doctor Doom: "Screw you; I QUIT!!!"

08/17/07 8:30pm CST The update.

This thread is about to sink off the page, like all good threads do. However, I notice that it still gets views. Therefore, here's a bonus progress report: The warehouse roof, interior office roof, and loading dock are finished. I may redo the loading dock, because it didn't come out flat. Anyway, here's a picture of a rearranged setting:

And here's the interior of the warehouse. The roof you see on the inner office is also removable.

I want to focus on props now. I'm debating on whether I want more buildings. Anyway, I have enough stuff for a decent battle, as my next post demonstrates.

-David
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
I visited my brother today for some Heroscape.

Game 1: Marvel Heroscape
Setting: The city was set up similar to the above photo I posted. I played the bad guys, and I started in the warehouse office. My brother started on the roof of the 3-story building.

I threw together some obstacle rules:

My makeshift object rules

Objects are classified as light or heavy objects. Only heroes with Superstrength can use objects. Only one object can be used.

Light objects cost 1 movement point to pick up/carry, while heavy objects costs 2. When a hero begins a turn in which he is carrying an object, the movement point penalty is immediately consumed and the hero must continue normal movement. As long as a hero holds an object, that hero loses all special abilities/attacks and adds this special attack:

Throw special attack
Light objects: Range 8 Attack 2; Heavy objects: Range 4, Attack 4

Light objects can only be used once, heavy objects can be used twice.

Light objects provide a +1 normal attack bonus for melee attacks only, heavy objects add +2.

Objects can provide cover. A hero adjacent to an object which is attacked at range from a hero that is not adjacent to the object and where the LOS crosses the object receives +1 defense bonus for light objects and +2 for heavy objects. Only one object can provide cover. The object is not considered used and is not damaged when providing cover.

End of makeshift rules

Anyway, my brother marched Hulk into the warehouse, while I sent out Thanos , Doctor Doom, Red Skull, and Venom for the welcoming party. Abomination stayed behind to calculate the employee time sheets. Capt. America and the Silver Surfer soon joined the Hulk in the fun. Lots of BAF! BOOM! BAM! The funniest part was where Thanos picked up a barrel, tossed it at Silver Surfer, and knocked him off his surf board! Tee hee hee.... WIPEOUT!!!

Hulk clobbered Thanos, who would return later. Lots of bopping about, which ended with Thanos and Abomination taking out Iron Man for the win.

Evil (that's me) wins! The World Works city setting really worked great and added a lot to the fun factor. I think my object rules worked really well. I also think the Marvel game system played really well, but I don't think I would have liked the game at all if I had used Hasbro's included terrain.

Game 2: Regular Heroscape
I put together a normal hex map with the water hex map used to form a lake in the middle (I do love these lake maps).

Brother drafts: Sir Gilbert, Knights of Weston x1, Templar Cavalry x 1, Omnicron Snipers x 1.
I draft: Major X17, Warden 816, Marcu Esenwein, Blastatrons x 3

This was the first time I was able to field 3 squads in a game. Marcu's Eternal Hatred never reared its ugly head, but it was always on my mind. In fact, I simply held off using him until the very end.

The Templar Cavalry were knocked out really quickly by the Blastatrons. Sir Gilbert and the Knights approached next, and they took out most of my Blastatrons quite handily. Major X17 and Warden 816 closed in during this time, and they were eventually knocked out. Eventually they all basically wiped each other out (the Omnicron Snipers finishing off my remaining 2 Blastatrons). It was now Marcu versus the Snipers. Please don't hate me, Marcu. Marcu took sniping damage as he closed in, but was eventually finished off.

Brother wins! Fielding 3 squads turned out to be a lot of fun.

Game 3: Hulk takes on the winner
Now we experimented with mixing Marvel Heroscape with Regular Heroscape. I fielded the Hulk against the division my brother fielded in the previous game. Sir Gilbert and the Knights closed in, but the Hulk brought the battle to them. His first stomp wiffed, but the second took down a couple of the Knights. The Hulk went through the rest like a hot knife through butter, but Sir Gilbert and the Knights really hurt Hulk badly (a total of 6 wounds!). The Hulk was so badly wounded from that exchange that the Templar Cavalry had no trouble charging in for the kill.

Conclusion? Well, I don't think this game worked for me. Maybe each person fielding a Marvel Superhero with Regular Heroscape henchmen might be fun. Maybe. I think we'll be keeping the two systems separate.

Game 4: Zombiescape

Ok, here's an idea I've been wanting to try. I replaced the lake with the sand mat. I placed all 6 squads of zombies in the middle of the mat.

Brother drafts: Spartacus, Retiarius, Crixus
I draft: Cyprien and Sonya Esenwein, Brunak, Ne-Gok-Sa

Special Zombie Rules: The zombies aren't friendly to either player. After each person takes his turn, he takes a turn with the zombies. The only special rule needed is that zombies can not disengage. This means that control of the zombies passes back and forth between players. MORE BRAINS!!! Sorry, anyway...

The Zombies clobbered me. Other stuff happened during the game, but the Zombies just wiped me off the board. I did love the back-and-forth movement of the Zombies due to the way control passed back and forth.

Brother of the Living Dead wins!

Final Remarks
Boy, this was the first time in a long while that I got to have a game day with my brother. I got to try out a lot of new stuff today.

-David
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Talwynor has disabled reputation
Questions on the build

Are the ground pieces the only bits you mounted to foam board? The setting looks great and now my son has found a new project for me!
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
That city stuff is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to show it all off!
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

Re: Questions on the build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talwynor
Are the ground pieces the only bits you mounted to foam board? The setting looks great and now my son has found a new project for me!
Oops, I didn't realize my thread was bumped!

I used foam board for the ground tiles, the roof you see on the gas station, the roof on the warehouse inner office, and the warehouse roof. I don't know if you can tell from my pictures, but my two buildings were starting to sag in the walls. So I peeled back the roof and placed strips of foam board inside to support the walls better. If I redo the buildings or make more, I'm going to use foam board on the roofs as well.

I really had a tough time using an Xacto knife to cut the foam board, but I found a really great cutter specifically designed for foam board. I bought it at Michaels in the section where the foam board is located.

The only new addition I've made since the last update was to redo the loading dock. The first was a bit wobbly, but my second attempt is much better. Oh, I almost forgot: I put together the desk, chair, and filing cabinet for the warehouse office.

After putting together my project, I read a piece of advice that I didn't follow but wished I had: Place flat glued objects between two heavy books while the glue dries. That would have been ideal for my warehouse.

Good luck with your own project!

-David

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports