Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: How to Host Your First Heroscape Tournament

Rolling Rumble is great and works nicely with odd numbers and a whiteboard.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Cap, could you dig out a link for him, please? I can't go digging at the moment.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:07 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Rolling Rumble.

The idea is actually pretty simple, all the text is just Ollie going off on possible extra rules and conditions.

--
--
--

--
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:31 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

With eight attendees, (two who were supposed to come were no-shows, but God is good. Two who were unexpected showed up!) I feel comfortable saying that this tournament was a great success. I want to host another one... Looking at my calendar for June, July, and August. Early June seems like the best bet, and I don't know what I'm doing in July or August.

I only planned on having four rounds of the tourney, with the time allotment, but we got in a whopping five! Even with the imposed 50-minute time limit for each game, most games were finished before time was called, as our top two were extremely efficient at dispatching their opponents' armies. Also, one game went on for the whole time limit, but only 60 and 70 points worth of units died in each army! Hilarious.

I learned a lot and see the flaw of my modified rolling rumble system now, which is the reason I went 5-0 (with a VIPER army!) yet still placed third. However, I can't go into detail. I may get in a more comprehensive report of my tourney later today if I finish this job early... If not, I won't have time till next week. Anyway, I'm glad it was a success. Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys!

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Let this be a lesson for all the readers out there: It can be done, even when God's own agents on earth tell you to buzz off.

I've been waiting all day to hear from you, EW, I'm glad it went well.

= =
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I look forward to hearing more about how the tourney went down. I'm really glad it was a success!

--
--
--

--
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Sounds great. Looking forward to he details.
Are you going to challenge MS for the title of Viper King?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:09 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

At it again - any tips on advertising? I have some neat little fliers and I want them to get attention. Where should I put them?

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Hmm. You're looking for walk-up players? Are you at the library again? If you're looking for locals, you should start at the library itself. That's what I would do.

= =
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Hmm. You're looking for walk-up players? Are you at the library again? If you're looking for locals, you should start at the library itself. That's what I would do.
I did last time, too, and got one walk-up player (awww yeah!). I just wanna reach out to the community, ya know. I've been too busy to hit the library this week - didn't have the fliers till after I reserved the room and haven't been back since.

Old August 10th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Added a brief section to the second post explaining about the difference between doing what I'm discussing here and, as I see it, preparing to TD an online event instead. Hint: It's really different.

= =
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Bumping this portion of the second post in the thread because of a conversation I was having in the wrong place with @kolakoski . Kol, who I think of as a friend of mine and I hope he thinks the same about me even though I haven't seen him in too long, is an advocate for "Delta" pricing. In Delta pricing, units have had their prices modified to balance them competitively. Major Q9 costs 210 (or whatever) instead of 180; Khosumet costs 45 (or whatever), and so on. It's a fine project & I applaud it. If I remember correctly, some time ago @CornPuff and others in the Pacific northwest ran an event with it, and I hope it was a big success.

I won't do it, though. I don't think I would *ever* run a Delta event. Do I think it's a bad format? No. But the people who attend my events are not students of the game. Most of them are not on this site at all, and of those who are, I'm the only regular who posts frequently. (Unless @Robber comes back? Magic 8 Ball says "Chances are slim."). If I ran an event in which every participant would be forced to recalculate the value of everything, I strongly suspect I would turn many people away. And that I will not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
[R]emember, young padawan, Rule #1: The number one priority is get people in the seats. The goal is *not* to build the perfect tournament format and wait, like a burrowing spider, for your prey to come near your event so you can leap out into the hall, grab them, and pull them down into your hole so you can demonstrate the genius of your format/customs/whatever.

When you are dealing with people face to face, think about who you want to attend. What their expectations are. Are you communicating with them effectively. I have a number of younger players in my local scene, and a number of players who are not on heroscapers.com or do not have large collections. I would not run a Take 2 event, because those players will likely feel intimidated as they prepare and exhausted by Round 3 on tournament day, from dealing with all the possibilities and extra brain power involved in that format. It doesn't work for my people, I wouldn't do it. Not because it's a bad format, but because I am in the service of my people. If your people are all heroscapers.com regulars, and that's what they want, go for it.

These things are terribly important, for the face to face competitive scene to remain viable. Make your events memorable, make them welcoming, and make them something people want to come back to again and again. It doesn't matter if you have implemented the perfect format, if you are scaring off the members of the congregation whom you most want to convert.

Rule 1, and all that.
So. @Taeblewalker is making the trip down from NYC on 10/18/14; I hope @chas , @Sherman Davies , and/or kolakoski will be able to join him. But I won't be running a Delta event, because for me, for my peeps, it violates Rule #1.

In the past, others have suggested that my opinion that Delta (or whatever) wouldn't work for my group is wrong. I'm open to that argument! But I want to see you, dear reader, put your money where your mouth is. Demonstrate that it'll work by running the events, and I'll read about them, and then I'll decide for myself.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events