Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old March 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
MiniatureGeek's Custom Workshop #1

Don't let the title fool you, there may not be another one of these. Another one would require two things.

1. Another idea. (That shouldn't be too hard but who knows.)

2. Feedback. (Not trying to be an attention *****, but if no one responds it most likely means no one cares what a hack like me does )

This workshop is a continuation of my Customs Thread's note on Popsicle Swords.

Here is a materials you will need. The first items are the bare bones, you can do this with them, but it won't be excatly the same.

1. A Qtip
2. A popsicle stick.
3. Super glue
4. A stat wheel of a heroclix base.
5. A utility knife.
6. Card Stock

The next items you don't have to have but having them makes the project a little nicer and in my opinion more fun.

7. A drill.
8. A 7/64 drill bit.
9. Thread (color doesn't really matter)
10. Black sharpie/paint
11. Silver sharpie/paint

Step 1.
Alright lets start with the model.

That is a Mage Knight Dungeons Model.

He had a mace in his hand but I cut that out, that is where I'm going to put the popsicle sword.

Step 2.
(Now here is the thing, if you are going to do this the easy way you can skip this step. It requires the drill.)

To the best of your ability (and safety) drill out in his hand where the weapon used to be. I started small with the bits and worked up to 7/64.

Here is a pic of a hole in his hand.

Step 3.
The hilt the sword.

I cut the heads off of the Qtip

Step 4.
The blade of the sword (Part A).

I mapped out on a popsicle what I wanted the blade to look like.

Step 5.
The blade of the sword (Part B).

Using my utility knife I cut the popsicle as best I could, although the end result doesn't really match my original design I still like it.

Step 6.
Joining the blade and the hilt.

Just a touch of superglue joined these together, at this point I think this is pretty self explanatory.

NOTE: For those who skipped step 2 keep reading because their is more, but in the end, you'll just end up cutting the hilt smaller and glueing it directly to his hand.)

Also, I didn't have this planned out as I was doing it, so at this point I realized the sword would look much better in his lower hand. I cut out the weird knife thing and drilled a hole in that hand.

Here is a pic of him holding the sword.

Step 7.
Painting.

I cheated on this, I just used a black sharpie and a silver sharpie. The blade is silver and the handle is black.

Step 8.
His shield.

I didn't know what to use for his shield and I left my bits box at my moms house when I moved out, so I had to find something else. I found a heroclix base, (one of the ones that has the funny edge on the bottom) and popped out the stat wheel.

A quick once over with silver sharpie.

A sheild was born.

Step 10.
Attaching the shield.

You can do this one of two ways. Just simply put some super glue on it, and stick it on, or trim left arm down a bit flatter and then glue it.

Step 11.
The sheath.

I don't have any pictures of the sheath in the making or even not attached to his body. But it is pretty easy.

Take a piece of card stock.

Cut a 2X2 square.

Fold it around a popsicle stick and glue it together so that it will keep that shape.

Now when the glue is dry you can put your sword in there size it up and cut it almost flush. You want some excess so that you can glue the end closed.

At this point I wrapped mine in thread to give it a barbaric look to it. You don't have to do this. You can simply paint it.

Step 12.
Attaching it to him.

Easy just put some super glue on it and attach it to his back.

Step 13.
The finished product.

That is what mine looks like when I'm all said and done.

In my opinion the only requirements for the figure used, is that it has big hands so that you can drill them out. You don't have to drill them out, but trust me it is fun to take the sword and be able to have him hold it or have him sheath it.

I hope you all enjoyed and questions are not only welcomed but encouraged.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Will T is surprisingly tart
Thanks for sharing, MiniatureGeek. Even if I never use any of your ideas (which I might), your post shows me how simple modding figures can be.
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
very nice tutorial, MG. Well done.
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Wow

That is awesome. If I tried something like that I suspect it would result in an ambulance trip and a figure looking suspiciously like a My Little Pony

~Aldin, inept

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nice tutorial, MG!! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Newb.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Wow

That is awesome. If I tried something like that I suspect it would result in an ambulance trip and a figure looking suspiciously like a My Little Pony

~Aldin, inept
Aldin I doubt you are that inept. Just keep a few simple rules in mind.

Cut carefully, while everyone says to cut away from ones self, it is actually quite hard to do that at times.

Using a push pin or something similar to start your drill hole will keep the drill from going all over the place.

EDIT: Dang doulbe negatives.

My Customs

Old March 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM

bugslinger has disabled reputation
Nice tutorial it helped me alot in making swords.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, bugslinger!

On behalf of our insect thrown and Greeter PMing community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the support, friendship and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, bugcatcher

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Wow, cool tutorial. I could never do that, but it's nice to fantisize.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Come on Taelord, there is nothing to it. What part do you think would give you trouble? Like I said I'll answer any questions you may have.

My Customs

Old March 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Nice idea, MG. I like modding figures, but I don't particularily like swords. So I probably won't use this, as I am more often taking the sword off, than putting one on. But if I ever need to make a sword, I remember this!

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniatureGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Come on Taelord, there is nothing to it. What part do you think would give you trouble? Like I said I'll answer any questions you may have.
All of it! I'm with Aldin on this. I would end up cutting my finger off trying to do it. I have cut like the side off of my index finger. Like a bunch of skin.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions