Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:03 PM

Morsbane Woo who?
Facts about Valkyries

Today I found some interesting facts about Valkyries in my English book and I thought I should share.

The special goddesses who assisted the chief god, Odin, were named the Valkyries. The Valkyries, who rode horses in the sky, were special goddesses in Norse mythology. The Valkyries. who wore armor. did not fight. The goddess who led the Valkyries was Freyja. The chariot on which she rode was pulled by a boar. The Valkyries were goddesses who appeared in Norse myths. The goddesses, whose primary role was to select the bravest warriors in battle. were important in many Norse myths. They chose the slain warriors who deserved a glorious afterlife. The chosen warriors were received at Valhalla, which was the grand residence hall of the gods. These warriors, who would spend their afterlife fighting by day and feasting by night, had obtained the highest reward possible. Valhalla had 540 suites that could each accommodate 800 such heroes. In times of peace the banner, which was woven, shone pure white. During battle, however, a raven, which appeared on the banner only during war, disclosed the outcome. A raven that flapped its wings signaled victory, but a raven that stood motionless meant defeat. The Valkyries who rode through the sky were Odin's messengers. Their sparkling armor was supposedly the cause of the northern lights which are also known as the aurora borealis. The magnificent lights that appear in the sky were explained as being the riding Valkyries. War which was an important part of life to the Norse became and important of their myths. Ragnarok which was the name for a final world battle in Norse mythology was to be followed by an era of peace.

Peeing yourself is a lot like friendship, everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth.

Last edited by Morsbane; March 26th, 2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM

rshorton is surprisingly tart
Re: Facts about Valkyries

Very interesting!

Me-Burq-Sa, You-Burq-Sa, We-All-Burq-Sa!!!
~ RSH
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:22 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:29 PM

dsbarrick is surprisingly tart

Hey Morsbane,

Thanks for sharing this info - it's pretty interesting. It would be a good idea to cite your source. It sounds like you've paraphrased a section from your book - you need to give credit. Also, if you've quoted passages word-for-word, they need quotation marks. Alternatively, maybe just pop a verbatim passage into quote tags along with the source.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Morsbane Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbarrick View Post
Hey Morsbane,

Thanks for sharing this info - it's pretty interesting. It would be a good idea to cite your source. It sounds like you've paraphrased a section from your book - you need to give credit. Also, if you've quoted passages word-for-word, they need quotation marks. Alternatively, maybe just pop a verbatim passage into quote tags along with the source.
Yes I am sorry about that. It is called Voyages in English 7 Writing and Grammar.

~Morsbane~

Peeing yourself is a lot like friendship, everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth.

Old March 27th, 2010, 01:05 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbarrick View Post
Hey Morsbane,

You're a college professor, aren't you?
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation

Or an English major. I was thinking the same thing.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Nice work! (And + Rep). I've always loved Norse mythology, so Heroscape is a natural for me. When I was a boy back in the Sixties, my grandfather got me Myths of the Norsemen, by Roger Lancelyn Green. I've been reading ever since! Last year I was in Dublin, where they have Viking artifacts and Celtic gold. There's a good Viking museum in Oslo, Norway too!

You may be interested to know that Odin's Valhalla was only one place the dead could go! Other gods and godesses from Freya to Hel got their share of spirits/souls who had Passed On! Sort of like Archkyrie Factions, huh?
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Did anyone ever see the movie Erik The Viking featuring Tim Robbins? I just saw it and it was interesting if not exactly based on Norse Legend. I would say based on this movie that Heroscape is played in the Age of Ragnarök where people fight just for the sake of fighting and without reason (especially D&D Heroscape which is played in Darkness).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion